Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Chapel Gate in the PDNP...

OMG..............

I cant believe it. Thats put a fairly big smile on my face after a long day :icon-biggrin:

AWESOME!!! :dance:

I bet the ramblers are seriously pissed off! :icon-biggrin:

that is good news and very pleased that some sense is being applied

Not entirely sire it was worth challenging to be honest. There is a significant risk that challenging it in this way will get the PDNP's back up and they will close a raft of routes (which in the past they have staunchly defended our rights on). Given it had only 3 months to run was there really a victory to be had?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Amusing that the picture in the BBC article is of road bikes...

What do you mean Paddler?? I was going up and down chapplegate on my yam r1 last year :lol:

Took a few on the way down, and a few more on the way back up. :whistle:

Come on then get them up, might go over there tomorrow, was it very wet?

The PDVUG has requested an immediate voluntary restraint on Chapel Gate. Pictures taken of the track this morning, after the passage of various vehicles, show deep tracks and ruts. This is the sort of damage that will convince the Peak District National Park to apply for a permanent ban. The park council will meet in January to make it's decision.

Please stay off it.

Roger Fairclough

GLASS rep for Warwickshire.

Funnily enough, the TRF have just sent round a circular via 4x4Response asking for a voluntary ban, there is a further court date on 25th January to decide its future - the anti's were out yesterday taking photo's of it to show 'before and after' shots to prove its vehicles doing the damage.

It def needs voluntary signs up each end, otherwise how do most people know there is a voluntary restriction?

Personally, I think the council have done this on purpose, open the right of way up just long enough to allow the anti's to gather the further evidence they have been asked for, then close it permanently.

Pete

Last edited:
This is the TRF memo:

Dear Drivers and Riders,

We Need to have a voluntary ban on Motor vehicles on Chaple Gate.

You will be aware that we have just won a court case which overturns the ETRO on Chapel Gate.

Chapel Gate is open ( for now) but the PDNPA are determined to close it and they will let us do it for them.

The lane is waterlogged in parts and whilst it has been repaired it has not been repaired for use by Motor vehicles only as a bridleway.

They have a meeting on the 25th of January to decide about closing it again. If the lane is damaged by overuse it will be an open and shut case against us.

WE CANNOT AFFORD TO FALL INTO THIS TRAP

Please bear with us on this. We are putting together a plan of action that will hopefully secure this and the other lanes for “Managed” use by MPV’s for posterity. A hard task which which may not totally succeed in but could be easily scuppered by a few heavy tracks in Chapel Gate.

Mike Irving
Communications Director TRF

So my point has been nicely made for me.
The TRF went out to get it reopened even though it has not been repaired to be suitable for vehicles (frankly an early indication that it was never meant to be reopened to vehicles again).
The TRF win then tell us all not to use it. So why not leave it closed and let the TRO expire naturally.

This is in my view the biggest problem with the battle to keep lanes open. Deciding which battles to fight and when. To spend tens of thousands of pounds on legal fees then ask people not to use the lane is just senseless.

I think the Council know what will happen, that people will use the lane and it will deteriorate quickly over the next 6 weeks, thus allowing photo's to be taken that prove a) damage is vehicle related and b) Voluntary bans dont work.

There is to be a meeting at Aldern House in Bakewell on Friday the 25th January.

GLASS and the TRF are organising a protest at Aldern House to voice their opinion on the attempt to reinstate the TRO.

The more that attend, the better our chances of achieving something.

If you can go, be there before 9am so that we can create a problem for people trying to park in the car parks. We must show solidarity.

Roger

Back