Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacing the windscreen rubber

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Well thanks to Jon, I am now in the possession of what looks like 3 very large piece of liquorice :icon-biggrin:

Two are for the front windows but the big one is to replace the leaking windscreen rubber.

i-x7N8FDq-L.jpg

The door rubbers are quite a straight forward job but fitting a new windscreen rubber seal is new territory to me.... anyone done the job before and care to share any advice on how to replace it?

Hmmmm, okay thanks Jon.... to get it out it looks like delicate brute force is needed, if such a thing exists :think:

I think Robs came out pretty easily. The FSM is probably expecting a screen that is well bonded in place still whereas I think it sounded like yours will fall out if you stop too quickly :lol:

My local screen place decided not to take it out. They said it was pretty likely to break. So they just went in the super sealant and gobbo'd it.

Chris

....The FSM is probably expecting a screen that is well bonded in place still whereas I think it sounded like yours will fall out if you stop too quickly :lol:
Very true.... although having now looked at the new seal and read pages BO57-61 10 times, I think slicing the outer lip might help things along.

My local screen place decided not to take it out. They said it was pretty likely to break....
Oh joy :doh:

Actually I do have windscreen cover on my insurance, so if all else fails :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd cut the old seal so you can lift the glass out then pull the old seal out. Done it like that in the past on other vehicles. Sharp blade and go steady so don't catch the body or the glass. Usually when get it started it goes easily
Bonded in screens are more fun to get out without breaking them!

Paul, you mentioned in a different post that you hear wind noise when you push on the windscreen. If this is the case the you can remove it with relative ease working along the top from one corner then then down both sides at the same time to minimise windscreen "twist". Gently push on the glass and pull the rubber seal away from the car body as you work your way round. Once you have done the top and sides you should be able to just lift the screen out.

Don't forget the windscreen sealant (not bonder): http://www.arbo.co.uk/arbo-sealants/arbomast-autograde/

Also if it has been leaking and rattling for a while be prepared to remove rust. You may find like I did no mine that you need to cut some rust out, but as I was in a field with limited tools I replaced the windscreen with the new rubber without the sealant with the intention to cut the rust out later in the year when its warmer. No leaks so far.

Is an 80 a big round rubber seal jobby, with a grove on the glass side AND the body work side?

If so there I think there is a way to remove it and the rubber using a rope/string... But I can only find a video on YouTube for installing it...

Yes it is, not sure how you would use the string to remove the windscreen and rubber :think:, I think it will be just easier to work your way round the rubber as I described. On installation yes use the string method.

Found the answer; taken from a website that explains how to remove the tailgate glass from a Volvo 245 (I know that the back windows are a pop in rubber seal on both 244 and 245s, so the technique would be the same)

Get 1/4 nylon rope and two cans of silicone spray lube.
Spray the rubber seal on inside liberally and liberally coat the rope.
Fold one of the top corners and put the rope in the rubber seal all the way round the window.
Use a 5-6 long piece of 2"x2" wood and push the window out at back vertical edge while pulling the rope to fold over the rubber seal to allow window to go out.
Once the back edge seal is outside metal edge then go forward along top edge and then down front edge.
You will need a second person before you get too far to be sure the glass doesn't fall out and break.
Use the 2x2 to push outward with not too great force to ease the rubber seal past edge.
Once the second side is started the removal usually gets much easier pretty quickly.
Install by setting the seal over the bottom edge with rope already in seal on the other three sides.
Use silicone spray liberally, lubrication is your friend in this job on removal and installation. Pull the rope inside to get the rubber seal edge to go over the metal edge.
Have assistant on outside pushing in with a 2x2 gently in the area you are working with rope.
Go to a automotive paint and supply store and get a plastic trim tool. I have heard them referred to as "bone tools" . It is 1 inch wide by 1/8 inch thick 6 inch long with one end tapered with edge sharpened on both sides. It is used to pop off mouldings and trim but it is great at helping the rubber over metal edge without harming paint or moulding like a metal tool might.

I don't guarantee it'll work, but I THINK it will... I know from a friend doing it he battled using some cord/rope that was a bit too thin, the Green Book (service book) said to use x" and he used one size smaller... made it very difficult!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and advice guys.... looks like the snorkel is going to need removing too to get the sealant up that side.

I might even post up an Idiots Guide if I remember to take photos :thumbup:

Last edited:
Due to the internal trim/dash it will be difficult to get the rope in under the rubber to remove the windscreen.

Due to the internal trim/dash it will be difficult to get the rope in under the rubber to remove the windscreen.

Begger...

There goes that idea... is it snugged all around with the plastic trim on the A pillars etc?

Not got any more helpful bits to add in... I'll give up now...

Good Luck!

Nice idea still, will give it a go anyway just for curiosity when I remove mine again. Yes the A pillar trim panels and especially the dash get in the way. The rubber should be tucked under some trim panels as well, can't remember which ones.

Just glanced across the room and.... it looks like some one has made themselves a new bed :icon-biggrin:

i-nd2Z9V5-L.jpg

What was the out come as I too have wind noise in my new cruiser and going through the paperwork it had anew windscreen fitted a little while back.

Was it an easy job and what is the cost of a windscreen rubber??

There are 2 types of sealants. One goes off and glues the screen in and the other stays liquidy. The later dries out over years and shrinks causing leaks.

I glued my rear screen in with black polyurethane sealer after the glass had been put in. This involved masking off the body and glass beforehand. If you get the black polyurethane on the paint or glass it's almost impossible to get off even when liquid and impossible when dry.

I took mine to a Spanish windscreen installer, I had to guide him as he was young and had only used the bonded systems, string to install and sealer on the body groove part of the seal.

regards

Dave

Back