Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

hard to start

geo-smc

Having problems starting the 90 series,it turns over fast enough but does not fire up without a lot of turning....changed the fuel filter,removed and checked the four heater plugs,all working as they should.
The LC runs great when started pulls really well no problems there,,will start when warm first time.HELP PLEASE.

Last edited:
Could be the old 'air in the fuel line' trick again. There is a thread on this - but in essence what CAN happen the pipe on the top of the tank turns into Swiss cheese. This allows the fuel to drain back into the tank, making the pump pull it up when the vehicle has been standing for a while. When it's running, it will pull it up pretty easily. But starting is a problem. You can fix it properly, or stick a non return valve in the fuel line in the engine bay so that there is always fuel to get you started. I think this maybe in more detail as a sticky on the 90 section. Either way, if it's this, it's not expensive nor particularly difficult to sure.

Chris

Thanks chris,pipes on the tank are like new,in fact there is not even a rusty bolt on the vehicle,dont know where it has been kept all its life but it wasent Scotland.

Hmm, but it's nothing to do with rust. The pipe that comes out of the tank is some sort of alloy and it gets eaten into holes. You can't see the pipe without taking the tank out.

Chris

Hmm, but it's nothing to do with rust. The pipe that comes out of the tank is some sort of alloy and it gets eaten into holes. You can't see the pipe without taking the tank out.

Chris

I Concur. This is quite a common issue and has been diagnosed as the problem for alot of starting issues in the past. I must admit that in my case the corrosion had got so bad that it had caused a leak but for the most part it is totally un-noticeable. It doesn't take a great deal of effort to drop the tank and it is a free check and cheap to repair/replace.

Is there voltage across the buzzbar on turning the key?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Before you drop the tank do this. Before you start her up, prime the fuel filter until it gets hard and then turn her over, see if that makes any difference? If so then there's a air leak as said above. If not, then the problem isn't fuel related.

How did you check your glow plugs?

Chris
Sorry Chris,
I never knew about this,just assumed it was rust you ment,,will check this out and let you know,thanks..

Before you drop the tank do this. Before you start her up, prime the fuel filter until it gets hard and then turn her over, see if that makes any difference? If so then there's a air leak as said above. If not, then the problem isn't fuel related.

How did you check your glow plugs?

Will try this first thing tomorrow,,

I removed all the glow plugs and tested them one at a time on a battery,,,,,,,they all glowed at the tip.

Frankly in this climate it would probably start if you sawed the ends off all the glow plugs. The primer pump test is an obvious thing to do, see if you get pressure. What is also easy is to take the fuel line off, push a section of clear pipe on and shove the original hose on the end of that. Then you can see what's in the pipe. If it's clear, then it is draining back. Once you start to pump, you should see fuel appear in the window. But, the cause can actually also be pin holes in the primer pump diaphragm. So you can pump away for ages with no results. Bit like a girlfriend I once had. Fortunately she didn't have a punctured diaphragm. But we did have to fiddle with her coil now and then before she's turn over

C.

With freezing conditions, you will notice if your glow plugs are gone. I only have three out of the four at the moment, and it takes a good few turns to get her going, and once going she's a bit lumpy.

From what you are saying, it has to be fuel returning back down the line, meaning air in the system, most common place are the pipes going in and out from the tank.

Primed the fuel this morning before i tried to start it,,seamed to start a lot better,not sure if it was the priming or it was because it was in a warm garage all night.
will leave it out tonight and prime the pump again tomorrow morning.
Checked fuel lines up to tank today and all look really good,i take it there is no way round the pipes on the tank other than droping the tank down.
Does anyone have pictures of these pipes so i know what im looking for please.

Back