don't like the adverts?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lindop Brothers chip kit

Supporter
    Where am I?
    England

New Lindop Brothers chip kit

don't like the adverts?
    Look what the postman delivered today. Truck is in for a service next tuesday and then I'm fitting this. Really easy to install with 4 inline injector connectors, 1 ground and 1 live. I have always felt like I needed a smidge more oomph when towing so this should do the trick with an additional 25% BHP and torque and knowing it's not taking the engine out of it's spec.

120 Series LC4 - Grabber AT2's, Goldfish 9500 winch with Dyneema, Stealth Sliders.

Fiery '98 SWB KZJ90 - in the Family

Lil' Blue '98 SWB KZJ90 - modded to the hilt

'89 LJ70 SWB VX Turbo. SOLD

Excellent - on my to-do list followed by the up-rated intercooler from Allisport
    Gary
    05 120 LC5, Cooper STTs / BFGs, Safari snorkel, 40mm bodylift, 50mm ToughDog suspension lift, Wildsmith sliders, ASFIR plates, aux power, HowlingMoon RTT, FoxWing, ARB Sahara bumper, Goldfish 12k & Dyneema, LightForce Striker spotties, BigCountry roof rack, OEM DogGuard, Gav's custom 2" receiver ...

Supporter
    Where am I?
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stockton View Post
    Excellent - on my to-do list followed by the up-rated intercooler from Allisport
    What's been up-rated on their intercooler?
    Chas Red 1HDT80 Auto, christened The Phoenix (on account of the times its been resurrected) 152k mls, with all the extras + 0n-board air, ARB Twin compressor under the drivers seat . . . ooh! the vibrations.

The older I get the better I was.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...g=Romania+2015

Trevor,
    What year is your 120? I also attempted to buy a Lindop chip but to be told it's not available for my 2005 model...

Supporter
    Where am I?
    England
    Mines on an '03 plate so it's an early LC4. I emailed Lindop with the VIN to check for compatability.
    120 Series LC4 - Grabber AT2's, Goldfish 9500 winch with Dyneema, Stealth Sliders.

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    What's been up-rated on their intercooler?
    They've built a bigger one with better capacity. Not much use unless you chip the engine though. Can't find the pic now but they had an advert in 4x4 mag a while back. Not cheap though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Gary
    05 120 LC5, Cooper STTs / BFGs, Safari snorkel, 40mm bodylift, 50mm ToughDog suspension lift, Wildsmith sliders, ASFIR plates, aux power, HowlingMoon RTT, FoxWing, ARB Sahara bumper, Goldfish 12k & Dyneema, LightForce Striker spotties, BigCountry roof rack, OEM DogGuard, Gav's custom 2" receiver ...

Where am I?
    UK
    Im currently testing a RaceChip Pro 2 ...... will post some pics and thoughts a bit later on....

Trev, whats the cost of the Lindop unit?
    Tony
    2005 LC4 120
    ‣‣‣‣‣‣‣‣‣‣ Give blood

Supporter
    Where am I?
    England
    It was 375, I looked at this a couple of years ago but didn't want the faffing about of finding and soldering a connection into the grey/green throttle wire. This new version does away with all that, the only other difference is that you don't have the variable setting for power but I don't see that as an issue for me.

I'll be interested to see what the difference is after fitting it next week.
    Last edited by Trevor; 17/04/2013 at 20:25. Reason: .

Where am I?
    UK
    If it's anything like the one I have just fitted, I think you will be very happy! http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum...495#post355495
    Tony
    2005 LC4 120
    ‣‣‣‣‣‣‣‣‣‣ Give blood

Where am I?
    UK
    Who was it that bought my Lindop unit off me?

I still have another one in my garage, but not a Lindop one.

Gra.

Supporter
    Where am I?
    England
    Ok, so got the truck back today after being serviced and popped the bonnet.

Took the engine cover off

Then undid the intercooler bolts and lifted up and unplugged the existing injector connectors.

Then connected the first lot on the loom, so old injector connector is connected to the female connector (middle of picture) and the new male connector goes onto the injector.

All connected.

Route the cabling around the bulkhead

Velcro the box onto the fusebox lid and connect the positive and negative to the battery.

First impressions are that the low down turbo lag has gone and feels more pokey, it's running at 2 hundredths less on the rev counter at 80mph and just more driveable really. Will wait and see what it's like towing the caravan but I think the days of "dead mans lunge" pulling onto a roundabout may be cured.

Been investigating with John Devlin and he wanted to know if my injectors had 2 or 4 wires - I see yours have 4 but mine only have 2 - bit odd. Any ideas why there is a difference, anyone??
    Last edited by Gary Stockton; 26/04/2013 at 21:28.
    Gary

Supporter
    Where am I?
    England
    Since fitting the chip I seem to have uncovered a lurking problem which only shows up with the extra power being applied. The engine goes into limp mode, so I run round the front of the truck and unplug the chip and the truck runs fine. The error code is “P1250 Turbo instant fault” and after a quick internet search it could be anything from a leaking vacuum hose, sticking VSV or the variable turbo blades sticking. I've checked the hoses I can see but need to look further when I get some more time. A bit disappointing really, not an issue with the chip upgrade but some underlying fault elsewhere I think.
    Last edited by Trevor; 02/05/2013 at 02:37. Reason: .

Where am I?
    UK
    Odd that you say that Trev, but mine also went into limp mode once. I erm accelerated a bit hard from stand still whilst turning (t-junction), and traction control kicked in. Immediately afterwards the truck went into limp mode. I pulled over, switched off and then strarted up again and all ok.

I have since turned down the chip and had no further issues.

can you adjust your box?
    Last edited by TonyP; 02/05/2013 at 11:51. Reason: Bloody tablet and spelling
    Tony
    2005 LC4 120
    ‣‣‣‣‣‣‣‣‣‣ Give blood

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    It's running at 2 hundredths less on the rev counter at 80mph
    This is the bit that gets me...how can the electronic box have any effect on gearing? Even with an autobox, at that speed the converter should be fully locked.
    Chocolate Hobnobs - the international currency of corruption.

'99 HDJ100 VX with stuff. Lots of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    It was 375, I looked at this a couple of years ago but didn't want the faffing about of finding and soldering a connection into the grey/green throttle wire. This new version does away with all that, the only other difference is that you don't have the variable setting for power but I don't see that as an issue for me.

I'll be interested to see what the difference is after fitting it next week.
    I've got the faffy solder to the throttle wire version, and yours is a definate improvement. It's a shame you can no longer adjust it though, I have mine on low most of the time, and get another 30 plus miles from a tank, and just turn it up for towing.
    2003 lc4
    lindop box
    grabber at2's
    lightforce 170's
    sheepskin seatcovers
    diy rear mudflaps
    asfir underbody protection
    stebel nautilus

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Who was it that bought my Lindop unit off me?

I still have another one in my garage, but not a Lindop one.

Gra.
    Me!!!!!
    2003 lc4
    lindop box
    grabber at2's
    lightforce 170's
    sheepskin seatcovers
    diy rear mudflaps
    asfir underbody protection
    stebel nautilus

Supporter
    Where am I?
    England
    I seem to have cured my limp mode issue with this chip although it's all a bit bizarre. As todays diesel is made up with a percentage of bio, apparently this does not lubricate the fuel system quite as well as the "original" diesel of yesteryear.

So I've been adding 150ml of 2 stroke oil to a full tank of fuel after hearing this does good things (I don't really understand how but figured mine runs on oil so why not give it a go), I've only run one full tank of this through the truck but already it runs a tad quieter and more importantly the chip has stopped playing up. It was virtually unusable when towing the caravan but now it behaves just fine.

If the variable vanes in the turbo where sticking a bit maybe this has helped to free them up (can exhaust gases still have a lubricating oil content?), so it seems to have done the trick but not sure why.

I've been adding 2T for some time to my LC and my Merc, as you say, quieter and smoother....

Watford, Herts - but can usually be found in the wrong place at the wrong time!
    Where am I?
    England

don't like the adverts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    This is the bit that gets me...how can the electronic box have any effect on gearing? Even with an autobox, at that speed the converter should be fully locked.
    I don't know ....but perhaps the chipped engine produces the power (necessary to pull 80mph) slightly lower down the rev range than the non-chipped does?
    VZJ95 - Colorado 3.4V6 with LPG, 40mm Ironman SL, cat back SS exhaust, 265/75R16 Hankook Dynapro RF10s on 80 alloys and 150k+