Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Lindop Brothers chip kit

Trevor

Country Flag
england
Look what the postman delivered today. Truck is in for a service next tuesday and then I'm fitting this. Really easy to install with 4 inline injector connectors, 1 ground and 1 live. I have always felt like I needed a smidge more oomph when towing so this should do the trick with an additional 25% BHP and torque and knowing it's not taking the engine out of it's spec.

C0DAC89D-0F2F-44F9-93B2-24F61AF3622D-8321-00000AACE2168C76_zps10738146.jpg

Excellent - on my to-do list followed by the up-rated intercooler from Allisport :lol:

Trevor,
What year is your 120? I also attempted to buy a Lindop chip but to be told it's not available for my 2005 model...

Mines on an '03 plate so it's an early LC4. I emailed Lindop with the VIN to check for compatability.

What's been up-rated on their intercooler?

They've built a bigger one with better capacity. Not much use unless you chip the engine though. Can't find the pic now but they had an advert in 4x4 mag a while back. Not cheap though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Im currently testing a RaceChip Pro 2 ...... will post some pics and thoughts a bit later on....

Trev, whats the cost of the Lindop unit?

It was £375, I looked at this a couple of years ago but didn't want the faffing about of finding and soldering a connection into the grey/green throttle wire. This new version does away with all that, the only other difference is that you don't have the variable setting for power but I don't see that as an issue for me.

I'll be interested to see what the difference is after fitting it next week.

Last edited:
Who was it that bought my Lindop unit off me?

I still have another one in my garage, but not a Lindop one.

Gra.

Ok, so got the truck back today after being serviced and popped the bonnet.

7A237EDF-99FC-405D-8315-7A104C677F0C-2595-0000038A042886A7_zps3beadefc.jpg

Took the engine cover off

0F10D1F6-B432-46B7-B862-EB20A5E438F8-2595-0000038A123C41E5_zps67b82884.jpg

Then undid the intercooler bolts and lifted up and unplugged the existing injector connectors.

631293B1-64C9-4BB2-BC0F-23203FA892B7-2595-0000038A1B62C112_zpsd0df456f.jpg

Then connected the first lot on the loom, so old injector connector is connected to the female connector (middle of picture) and the new male connector goes onto the injector.

BAC91B4A-B814-4339-955F-034DCC0DA6B1-2595-0000038A22FEB85C_zpsdcbb2d20.jpg

All connected.

5ACF5BA5-56BD-4D70-A8CD-A8009F0EC11C-2595-0000038A30F785ED_zps67a3f8a3.jpg

Route the cabling around the bulkhead

F1FB5DCF-E5EC-4FA1-BC74-C437AB118691-2595-0000038A3815AAF8_zps68de5b18.jpg

Velcro the box onto the fusebox lid and connect the positive and negative to the battery.

35D4509D-1F12-46D4-B5BE-A58F7FA3230B-2595-0000038A5CFAA795_zps2682085c.jpg

First impressions are that the low down turbo lag has gone and feels more pokey, it's running at 2 hundredths less on the rev counter at 80mph and just more driveable really. Will wait and see what it's like towing the caravan but I think the days of "dead mans lunge" pulling onto a roundabout may be cured.

Been investigating with John Devlin and he wanted to know if my injectors had 2 or 4 wires - I see yours have 4 but mine only have 2 - bit odd. Any ideas why there is a difference, anyone??

Last edited:
Since fitting the chip I seem to have uncovered a lurking problem which only shows up with the extra power being applied. The engine goes into limp mode, so I run round the front of the truck and unplug the chip and the truck runs fine. The error code is “P1250 Turbo instant fault” and after a quick internet search it could be anything from a leaking vacuum hose, sticking VSV or the variable turbo blades sticking. I've checked the hoses I can see but need to look further when I get some more time. A bit disappointing really, not an issue with the chip upgrade but some underlying fault elsewhere I think.

Last edited:
Odd that you say that Trev, but mine also went into limp mode once. I erm accelerated a bit hard from stand still whilst turning (t-junction), and traction control kicked in. Immediately afterwards the truck went into limp mode. I pulled over, switched off and then strarted up again and all ok.

I have since turned down the chip and had no further issues.

can you adjust your box?

Last edited:
It's running at 2 hundredths less on the rev counter at 80mph

This is the bit that gets me...how can the electronic box have any effect on gearing? Even with an autobox, at that speed the converter should be fully locked.

It was £375, I looked at this a couple of years ago but didn't want the faffing about of finding and soldering a connection into the grey/green throttle wire. This new version does away with all that, the only other difference is that you don't have the variable setting for power but I don't see that as an issue for me.

I'll be interested to see what the difference is after fitting it next week.

I've got the faffy solder to the throttle wire version, and yours is a definate improvement. It's a shame you can no longer adjust it though, I have mine on low most of the time, and get another 30 plus miles from a tank, and just turn it up for towing.

I seem to have cured my limp mode issue with this chip although it's all a bit bizarre. As todays diesel is made up with a percentage of bio, apparently this does not lubricate the fuel system quite as well as the "original" diesel of yesteryear.

So I've been adding 150ml of 2 stroke oil to a full tank of fuel after hearing this does good things (I don't really understand how but figured mine runs on oil so why not give it a go), I've only run one full tank of this through the truck but already it runs a tad quieter and more importantly the chip has stopped playing up. It was virtually unusable when towing the caravan but now it behaves just fine.

If the variable vanes in the turbo where sticking a bit maybe this has helped to free them up (can exhaust gases still have a lubricating oil content?), so it seems to have done the trick but not sure why.

I've been adding 2T for some time to my LC and my Merc, as you say, quieter and smoother....

This is the bit that gets me...how can the electronic box have any effect on gearing? Even with an autobox, at that speed the converter should be fully locked.

I don't know ....but perhaps the chipped engine produces the power (necessary to pull 80mph) slightly lower down the rev range than the non-chipped does?

Back