Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

D4d engine noise

James Lampard

Hi, I would be grateful some advice !!
I have just been to view a 2001 Colorado d4d which has genuine low miles with fsh, it is quite tidy but surprisingly rusty underneath - rear diff very rusty rear locker not working ect, but that wasn't my primary concern, !!
The engine started and drove very nicely but had a distinct tappety sound , top end
Is this normal I have gathered they can suffer with diesel knock but have no idea what that is ,how to recognise it also they suffer with injector issues but have no idea how to check for that !!!

Cheers in advance !!!
Jim

One other thing !!!!
I also unscrewed the oil cap with the engine running the revs didn't change but there was a bit of pressure there - is that normal on these ??
Cheers Jim

I'm not the man to advise you as I have very little experience but as there seems to be nobody else on I will offer my opinion and expect to corrected others later .

The rust might just indicate the truck was used for hauling boats in and out of the sea , salt water plays havoc .

The truck will run on 3 cylinders so disconnect an injector and see how it sounds . Replace the connection and do the same with the next , and so on . A bust injector should not alter the sound whether its connected or not . Its an amateur test but i'm an amateur :?

Im not sure why the revs should alter when you remove the oil cap and I wouldn't expect them to so I haven't got a clue about that sorry .

Whats the asking price it will help those on here with more knowledge gauge what exactly your getting yourself into .

I wouldn't consider to disconnect any injector on the D4-d.

It's not same as the TD engine, I would be a little thoughtful before preventing a cylinder from firing in one way or the other.

I have never taken the oil filler off mine, when the engine is running, come to think of it, I havent taken the oil filler off at any time.

Gra.

One other thing !!!!
I also unscrewed the oil cap with the engine running the revs didn't change but there was a bit of pressure there - is that normal on these ??
Cheers Jim
The revs wont change when you take the oil filler off and there should be a bit of pressure, it's a big engine.
As for the rust and if you are worried about the noise, walk away.

Hi - thanks for the advice, I did walk away !!
The rust was a major factor but I was still confused by the engine noise, the engine bay was like new, it had full Toyota service history and just over 60k so should have been fine and indeed it sounded nice when reving stationary but the noise became apparent when driving at low revs at tappety tinny kind of noise, I guessing more pronounced under load, it still drove very well but something wasn't right !!
Cheers Jim

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think a lot of D4-d engines sound "tapperty" to some folk.

Mine does in the winter, but that's due to the CPU altering the injection timing between the initial pre-injection, and then the main body of diesel being injected.
It's just more pronounced in the colder months.

I don't think a "tapperty" D4-d is some thing to be overly worried about, providing as you said, it sounds less audible at revs above tick-over.

When the engine is warm, on a warm day, it is really quite smooth, and quiet.

Gra.

As Graham has said above I've compared the noise from the normal 1kzte engine to the D4D engines and they D4D are so much more nosier and contain that tapperty noise you are hearing. Best to check out another one and you'll know if it was normal or not.

Back