Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transfer/Diff Gear oils

ModelMakerMan

Country Flag
england
Its time to replace all the oils on my KZJ70. The service manual says I need SAE75w-90 GL5 for the gearbox and SAE90 Hypoid GL5 for the transfer and diffs above -18*C and SAE80w-90 Hypoid GL5 below -18*C.

A couple of questions:

Is it worth the extra money to put fully synthetic oil in the gearbox and transfer? (I change the diff oil too often to be able to afford synthetic for those!)

Opie Oils has the transfer and diff oils as 80w-90 GL5 but the Toyota service manual only specs that for below -18*c and its very rare it gets that cold here in the UK! Im pretty sure the oil Ive been using in the diffs is 80w-90. The selection of SAE90 hypoid oils is pretty basic and limited whereas there is a far better selection of 80w-90 hypoid oils. Am I ok to carry on using 80w-90 oils or should I go for SAE90 instead?

What does everyone use use and where from?

Cheers
Dave

Some use atf because of the plantary gears and chain with pump very few use gear oil unless thery have regular gears instead but some imports do.

complex job i think because it';s not totally easy to do this as described in post.

Back