Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

roof rack & Awning

They have some very good prices on there 'ARB looking bumpers' have you seen them in the flesh? what are they like to deal with?

Ooooooh, all excited, just ordered a roof rack and awning from these folk http://www.accessoires4x4.ch/

2.2m long rack and 2m long awning :)

next up :
Oz tent RV3/4
Suspension
tyres -

Steve

Looks good Steve and very similar to my ARB Rack. Only visible difference is the protrusion at the front, is that a CB mast mounting plate?

My ARB Rack was a shed load more expensive, but I can't fault it. It's been out in the rain, snow & ice and intense sunshine for 6 years and not a spot of rust to be seen (yet).

Do you have the choice of mount height? I opted for the high mount which gives better cleaning access to the roof. It pitches the COG a bit higher, but that hasn't been a problem to me so far.

A very strong system that you can happily walk about on without any deflection, but it is heavy!!

I hope its as strong but I would guess not, It will be a Chinese made one marketed by Powerful 4x4 in oz land. They have 9 or 5 inch hights for different Land Cruisers, mine is a 5 (as long as light bar will go under the front of it I will be happy!) If it can hold a tent, some fuel, and bits and bobs it should be OK! I have never dealt with them before, but as you say the prices are good and unusually, only 50€ delivery total to me in Froggy Land :)
I like the look of the Premium bull bar with tow ball etc - comes complete with lights I think!
Keep saving Steve

Cheers

Just seen the price on their rear swing-away..... :wtf: I'll be interested to hear what you think of the quality Steve.

I will let you know - perhaps some of the guys in Oz know? Powerful 4x4 do sell some reasonable looking gear!
Steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just seen the price on their rear swing-away..... :wtf: I'll be interested to hear what you think of the quality Steve.

These prices are very good compared with ARB and as I haven't been too impressed with ARB generally, either it's rubbish or it's very good value for money!

Lets see what Steve finds out....:think:

The rack looks the same as this one form direct 4x4
http://www.direct4x4.co.uk/titan-universal-black-roof-rack
I already saved 45 € without delivery ;)
It might be crap but we shall see!
Steve

It's hard to tell whether the 4x4 Direct version comes with the 6 mounting legs that it needs. It says the racks in the photos are fitted onto roof bars, but the photo of the rack on its own clearly shows the bolt holes in the foot plates where the mounting legs are usually bolted to.

My ARB rack has the identical fitments for the legs.

Anyway Steve, yours looks like a good one, I hope it is!

We bought one of the roof top tents from Terrain, down on the south coast.

Easy to mount on the roofrack.
Opens up, ready to climb into in less than 5 minutes.
Takes 10 minutes to put it all away again.
We only bought the tent, and not the full surround lower tent thingy, that covers the back door.

They are made in China (what isn't) but seems OK.

http://www.terrainvehicles.co.uk/v1/index.html

312A Bexhill Rd
St Leonards on Sea
Hastings , East Sussex TN38 8AL
Phone: 01424 200262
Fax: 01424 444040
E-Mail: [email protected]

People

Name: Simon Lewis
Title: Service
E-Mail: [email protected]

We have used it about 10 times, but it has never been used in the wet, so don't know how good it would be in the wet.

Gra.

Last edited:
Well, they arrived lunch time today, and we have managed to fit (with the help of Dawns brother) the Roof Rack this afternoon - by god, its heavy! Its very well made, all the welds appear good, powder coating is good, no sharp bits, all fitted and it came with 2 or 3 types of brackets to fit different cars. I am very satisfied with both quality and fit
See below:
IMG_1511 (640x427).jpgIMG_1513 (640x427).jpgIMG_1515 (640x427).jpg

Highly recommend both supplier and product

Steve

Last edited:
Does look rather solid !

What else do you plan on putting up there, or will it be the exclusive of the roof tent?

Gra.

No roof tent........yet! Going for an Oztent (for Europe) as the pooches cant climb ladders, so that will be stored there with perhaps a couple of spare cans of go juice/water/camp bog & tent etc etc! Chris climbed up there and nothing moved (stepped on the steel tubes and not the grill bit though!)
Very solid, well made rack
Chuffed indeed!
\Steve

Looks very good and chunky.
stu

Glad the "gamble" paid off Steve, you've saved a fortune over ARB prices.

The ARB's bloody heavy too, I can barely pick the damn thing up on my own! It takes 4 to position it on the car properly (without scratching the roof to buggery), not helped at all by the suspension lift. I should qualify that that's 4 tall people, or well positioned milk crates to stand on! :icon-biggrin:

BTW, with the ARB, walking on the mesh is fine, slight deflection between supports, but only a springing effect, no permanent distortion.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Sounds like it could also be used as a "roll over bar" :) :) :)

Good that it's so solid.

Did you post the link?

Gra

I did post a link earlier on, but its http://www.accessoires4x4.ch/
Today we fitted the awning - again, very easy to do (a lot lighter than the rack!) Had to buy some extra nuts, washers and bolts as they only supplied enough for mounting the brackets to the actual awning, I guess as they have no idea what its going to end up on!

Here we go tested on the drive way.

IMG_1520 (640x427).jpgIMG_1522 (640x427).jpgIMG_1523 (640x427).jpgIMG_1525 (640x427).jpg

Just need a test in the field :)

Steve

Last edited:
Looking good Steve, even the dog seemed suitably impressed with the awning!

How does the light bar perform, perched up front like that? Is there any excessive glare off the bonnet? I'm in the process of finding a light bar and I'd like to mount it similar to yours... :think:

that's my boy Danny ;)
Light bar is fantastic, a little glare off the bonnet, but not too bad. The worst thing is when you switch back to low beam, cant see a darn thing, even with a HID upgrade! The difference between the two is unbelievable. No need for distance (ie HID spots) here as small roads very twisty, but its good to see daylight to front and side for 150m + :)
Steve

that's my boy Danny ;)
Light bar is fantastic, a little glare off the bonnet, but not too bad. The worst thing is when you switch back to low beam, cant see a darn thing, even with a HID upgrade! The difference between the two is unbelievable. No need for distance (ie HID spots) here as small roads very twisty, but its good to see daylight to front and side for 150m + :)
Steve

Mmm, can't wait to get one! I've got HIDs in dip & main and a pair of IPFs but they're very directional. I just want some light up on the lanes by me, there's no street lighting at all and no opposing traffic to annoy.

Your set-up sounds great!

Back