Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting My First FJ40 for my first Restoration.

Navyswo3

Country Flag
united_states
I am getting a 1966 FJ40 that is all original and no rust except a little surface rust in areas. I haven't seen the under side so not sure about frame yet. But I am assuming in good shape based on the looks of the body. Trying to get it picked up in the next few weeks. It really looks like a solid vehicle and has been taken care of. My question is, Where do i start or where is the best place to start when I get it? I have no idea!! It is my first as well. I have plenty of room (2 bay garage) to do just about anything but will have a limited budget. Time won't be an issue either. I am in the military and I am currently stationed in PA for the next 1 1/2 years and I am by myself. The family decided to stay in Va Beach for this tour. So I have lots of time as well. With all that said, any suggestions welcome. Glad to be part of the club. Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to the club. :icon-smile:

I think where to start depends on a number of things..................

-How far you want to go with it, complete restoration down to every single nut and bolt, or just fixing the rust and turning it into a good clean original 40, or maybe you want to modify it slightly or even a lot.

-What you intend to use it for. Will you be using it off road, as a daily drive, taking it to classic car shows etc.

-How mechanically skilled you are, and whether you can do most, some, or all of the work yourself.

-You budget.

Theres a few members on here who have done some great work on their 40's who might be able to advise you better. :thumbup:

I will not be doing any off roading other than on the beaches of North Carolina/Virginia. It will mainly be used as a beach cruiser and weekender. I would like to take the body off to give it a good cleaning with wire wheel, replace anything that is bad and paint frame with Chassis Saver. Just not sure if taking the body off will getting me into more than I bargined for!! I am pretty capable but never done anything like this. I will be sending body out for new paint. I also plan to make some upgrades to suspension to accomodate better/bigger wheels and tires. Other than that, keeping it mostly original until I can ge the funds for a new Diesel motor. My budget right now is about 5k.

Hi welcome to the club. I have a fj45 and fj40 with 4l 6 cyl Diesel in and I have had the body's off it is a big job but is the only way to go get it back to the body off the chassis and you can get at it a lot better I can not wait to see the pictures of it thanks tonytoyota .

Getting the garage ready to recieve the long awaited Fj40

Half the garage cleaned!!

Attachments

• Garage2.JPG
    Garage2.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 336
Hello and welcome,
I know the exciting feeling of getting your first 40 but, having been there, I would recommend that you initially just spend tme giving a detailed looking over and the parts that need attacking first will become obvious.
It concerns me that you say that there are a couple of rust areas showing through, chances are that there is little left underneath them, so maybe that where you should start.
Don't be in a rush to take the body off, get to know it first. They are a very straight forward truck and the chassis is stronger (more resilient) than the body. Areas where the rust bug will have bitten hard are: sills (view from under the truck), front valance (inside), rear quarters and rear body cross member, bottom of doors, and windscreen surround. They can all be fixed in situ but it will take longer than you think.

refer to the 40 threads on here and ask away before tearing lumps and bits off it.

Regards,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Rodger, As soon as I get her in the shop i will be sure to post a lot of photos before I start tearing her down. I will be interested to hear what everyone else thinks of her before I begin. Thanks again!

Photos of the Fj40

Here are a few photos the owner sent me for now. I will have more and better ones once i get her in my shop. Please let me know what you think of her. 1966 original
1966 FJ.jpg1966 FJ_2.jpg1966 FJ_3.jpg1966 FJ_4.jpg

Hi, welcome to the forum.

It would be good if you can do regular updates, interesting to watch it develop.

Whereabouts is it coming from, a dry state?

It looks in pretty good condition for a 1966 model.

Personally, I think it has a patina, it looks good in its current state - I would be inclined to clean it up and run it as it is. Deal with the rust that needs dealing with, but unless you're buying it as a body off resto, dont get sucked into a bigger job than you need.

More photos when you get it !

Cheers

Pete

Hi love the look of it it looks so good tonytoyota with. The back doors .

For a 1966 in that condition it is as rare as hens teeth with 3 speed with the shift on a column change and the 4wd lever on the Dashboard love it tonytoyota :dance:

Anyone know if the hydraulic clutch is a pain to deal with? The clutch works but not great. That is the only thing mechanically so far that may give me problems.

Attachments

• fj40.jpg
    fj40.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 346
  • fj40_2.jpg
    fj40_2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 224
More Pics, she still has original tool box, tools and hand jack. Worried about rust under tail gate.

fj40_3.jpgfj40_4.jpgfj40_5.jpgfj40_6.jpgfj40_7.jpg

Not sure why the pictures posted that way. Still trying to figure this stuff out!!

Is it seeping oil down by the piston on the gear box? else its probably the seal in the master cylinder. Certainly simple to deal with either of them. You never going to find anything to complex.

I still think the truck looks amazing!!

Last edited:
Hi I wood love one of them you R a lucky boy it is looking good from Tony thanks for the pic.

This baby was a true barn find. runs good, all original 1966 and not in bad shape. Stored mostly in New Mexico until about 3 yrs ago. Been in a barn in Oklahoma past 3yrs. I decided to pull the trigger and buy. Will be in the shop soon.

Back