Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering wheel removal

CANEX

Country Flag
england
I need to remove my steering wheel as it's not straight & I'm worried about the airbag going off!
Are there any links or video's anyone knows of.
I took it in to have tracking altered but my BFG's were too big for their equiptment :wtf:

Disconnect the battery then turn your hazards and all lights lights on and go have a cuppa . Obviously the lights won't work without the battery but its a good way to drain any residue power . You can straighten the wheel without having to undo any electrical connections or at least you can on a 90 and i don't imagine they are much different .

Just beware that there is probably a spiral switch cable under there - and you really don't want to break it :). Quick check on ToyoDIY should confirm...

Just putting my thinking cap on for a minute - couldn't I just adjust the rod from the steering arm to the one hub? (drag link??)
That shouldn't alter the tracking unless I adjust the rod between the wheels (tie rod??) should it?

That's great - thanks.
The thing is after reading that I'm thinking I need to alter the track rod ends - rather than move the wheel. It was bothering me that I have variable steering and moving the wheel might chuff it up.
Saying that - it's been as it is for 2 years & no detriment so far!

What do members think about moving one side 'x' amount of turns to straighten the wheel & then altering the other side the same number of turns to match?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Personally i think your making a big job out of a little one and risking upsetting the balance of multiple components when a steering wheel is little more than a lever , just lift it an inch turn it so the crossbar is parallel to the bonnet (having set your wheels straight first) and that's it job done . I understand your fear of air bags i felt the same but after much reading i removed my steering wheel and the air bag squib to replace it because my indicator stalk was shorting out my headlights . As it turned out the squib i bought had the male/female connections opposite to those on my truck so i ended up just swapping the stalk and putting the whole thing back in . Air bags are not quite as delicate as i once assumed .

Not being funny, but why not look for someone else who does tracking? That's the correct way to do it, and safest.

You're probably right - my garage said I would have to find a commercial garage, it's just finding a good one. I tried 6 local garages before I found one that knows or cares about the job they're doing!

I wouldn't have thought you'd need a commercial garage for tracking.
I'm sure someone on the forum will know someone local to you.

265 x 18 tyres are too big apparently for my usual garage :(

find a different garage ... I used to take my old 100 to my usual tyre place (Chemix in Stourbridge) for tracking and it had much bigger tyres than that on it.

OK tried to have it tracked buy not enough threads left on one side - so someone must have had the wheel off :wtf:

Has anyone removed one with the audio controls etc & had any issues with the spiral connector or any other wiring?

I'd hate to have any nasty shocks :icon-cry:

The steering wheel should have an equal number of turns lock to lock from the dead ahead position otherwise the indicators won't cancel correctly and whilst the car may drive OK in a straight line the wheels will not be turning in correctly whist cornering. One wheel turns more than the other in a corner and the ratio must be correct. Also the turning circle will be greater one way than the other. The rack needs centering correctly, the steering wheel replacing then the whole front geometry adjusting. Been there and done it.

Right - I still haven't resolved this!
I can't see how to remove the front with the horn push in?
Mine is the one with the audio controls on.

any ideas?

cheers
Chris

You have to go in through the rear cover and unbolt the airbag first. IIRC there's a couple of moulded slots in the cover, but this is detailed in the workshop manual download on here.

You have to go in through the rear cover and unbolt the airbag first. IIRC there's a couple of moulded slots in the cover, but this is detailed in the workshop manual download on here.

Got it - thanks I didn't realise it was covered in the manual!

cheers
Chris

fast fit did mine ok, about 6 months ago, but its wandered back into the same position again :( when im going straight the steering wheel is slightly to the left

Back