Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cooper vs BFG Mud Tyres

David

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I have always had BFG muds in the past real strong go on for ever, but not that impressed with the off road performance of the newer KM2 tyre not a patch on the old model. seems it all to do with the new noise regulations so it seems it's a compromise between noise and performance
The problem with Coopers were it seemed weak in the side wall and where susceptible to rock damage, but it now seems they have added another layer to the sidewall
Has anyone had experience of the Cooper STT MT good bad or indifferent
David

I've been using the Cooper STT's for a few years now, they did a trip to Morocco where we drove some very rocky trails, came back with no side wall damage. Funnily enough I've been considering the BFG's for my next change, but as I've got two spare tyres that could be a while. I will be watching this thread with interest.

And another point a friend has some 265/75/16 BFG KM2 and the measurement across the tread is only 200mm whereas the old ones are 265mm across most odd.
Yet the AT's are 265 across the tread

We have had a set on our 80 series for the last 5 years or so. size 285/75/16 ,approx 85,000 kms majority off road Morocco,Western Sahara,Tunisia,Algeria,and tours around Europe. and touch wood still running ok.
Before this we ran Stt's on our land rovers with the same experience.

We have experienced no side wall damage on any tyre.
This our experience of this tyre.

Chris....

I believe I have the USA equivalent of Cooper, which is Mastercraft.
6 rear drivers.JPG
6 rear drivers (2).JPG
Could be wrong, but I think not.

Are these the tread pattern that you are looking at?

Gra

Last edited:
Got Cooper STT 285/75 R16 on mine and can't fault them on road or off .
BeforeandAfter002_zps1f199587.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesting thread. :icon-smile:

I need to buy a new set of tyres for a trip I'm doing across the Simpson desert later this year and I was thinking of getting KM2's as they do seem to last a long time, but I dont want to compromise off road ability.

Mickey Thompsons seem to be the other major option over here, along with Cooper and BFG. :think:

Cooper is a american company Graham. I used to work for them in the development labs they have here. I thought master craft was a cheaper make.

I have the km2 on my 80 and really rate them. Good MPG, road handling, wear and off road spot on. I have not used them in sand other then driving on the beach which they seemed to do very well.

I have only driven on the cooper stt once in SA on most surfaces and can say they were just as good. they are a bit softer compound so might not last as long.

Stu

I use GG AT2s on asphalt as my DD and for light offroad and they perform very well in most conditions. They are not too noisy on asphalt and give a comfortable ride. Mileage is good and the grip is good in all weather conditions. The sidewalls are a bit thin, which is no bad thing for asphalt, but I've lost a few (3) to sidewall damage from rocks offroad.

I have a set of BFG MTs for more muddy offroad conditions. I've used these on asphalt too and they're surprisingly good, but a bit skittish in the wet. Obviously they perform better offroad and the sidewalls are much more resistant. So they haven't had too much use on asphalt.

Recommend both, but sorry, I have no experience with Coopers.

I've got km2's on my kzj70 and can't fault them really, only ever been stuck in really gloopy mud that only a simex type pattern would manage, I personally rate them as just as good as the km1's I had on my old hilux if not better because of there lack of road noise

I agree with Stu , Cooper do seem made from a softer compound than most but at 10k miles there's very little wear . I'd say the compound is why they grip so well certainly at Lincolm i was asked how on earth i made over a particularly steep climb that was made up of mostly tree roots and when i was daft enough to give my younger brother a test drive in an industrial estate , in heavy rain , he could not , despite his best efforts force my truck to lose traction . His attempt at a handbrake turn put the truck on two wheels . He owns a 120 which he drives like a hearse :icon-evil:

I had a set of wrangler MTR's before on a d22 and they were a good tyre but were bold in18k miles i was shocked how they didnt last. wouldnt buy them again.

I liked the Cooper STT's I had on the 100, pretty good off road for an ordinary MT, a bit fuzzy on road compared to an AT but good for standing water. They didn't seem especially weak in the side walls, I only managed to kill one of them through being stupid.

Interesting read people. Trying to decide myself what tyres to get, guessing 50% of the time will be on muddy tracks and sand so was trying to research forums to get ideas between BFG, Mickey Thompson MTZ, Nitto Trail grappler and Hankook Dynapro MT.
A chap i recently spoke to with BFG KM2 tyres said he was a little disappointed with the amount of noise on motorways when travelling to and from trails.
All seem to be fairly closely priced, would be keen on any feedback from anyone used them??

From my experience I would say that the biggest difference comes from the width. I used to have 9.00 on my 80 in a SIMEX copy and it was unstoppable. I was in the same mud this weekend with my newer 80 on Cooper STT in a 315 and they were very poor. Thought I was going to have to winch out. Took me several runs to get through a small trench. If you want a mud tyre to work well as a mud tyre, just don't go too fat. They do not cut.

I have been using the BF Goodrich M/T and I could say that I am quite satisfied. I have no experience on Cooper tyres.
In the past, I use to have a copy of Yokohama Geolandar G001 M/T (Regrooved tires) and the grip was amazing in all conditions (Mud or Snow)! Far better from the BF ones.
This is the reason that I am planning to buy the G001 M/T but I cannot find them easily in the market claiming that they have very limited production

I've ran both BFG MTs (old pattern) and Cooper STTs - along with other Simex copies and similar over the years - BFGs always last well and seem to have good sidewalls/carcasses - I put about 20,000 miles on my last set on a Defender and they weren't even half worn.

Currently running STTs on a different Defender - initial impressions good and seem to be wearing well. Performance so far seems very similar to the BFG.

Currently Coopers are cheaper than the BFGs in the UK, so I'm just about to replace the Maxxis Big Horn MT tyres that were on my 80 Series when I got it - they're scrapped after 20,000 odd miles (and have been noisy as hell for the last 10,000, I wouldnt recommend them!!) - and will be fitting Coopers this time around.

Cant comment on the wear/performance of the BFG MT KM2, sorry, not ran these.

Ordered the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ today, was a real big toss up between the BFG's KM2 and those but took advice from the tyre supplier in the end. He hadn't got them in stock but did have the BFG's on the shelf so dont think he was doing the hard sell bit, just advice.
Think they will out perform me on the mud trails and beach!! will let you know what i think once fitted up and used a bit.
Thanks for feedback guys......

I wanted the MTZ too. Just couldn't get them in the size I wanted. Or pretty much any size at the time.

Back