Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can I use an external GPS receiver with an IPad mini ?

JimmyLJ71

I used to run Memory Map on my old note pad with an external GPS receiver connected to the USB port via a lead.

i now have an Ipad mini without an internal GPS.

I have seen external GPS receivers that link via blue tooth, can I link this to my Ipad mini and run the Memory Map software as I used to?

You can but not many are compatible with Apple a mate of mine has one for his IPad

Its crap that it doesnt have the gps chipset !

The gps chipset is the gizmo inside the tablet that allows it to use gps.

So it doesnt need 3G or an add-on receiver to use it for navigation.

For the money Apple charge for their kit, im amazed it isnt included as standard.

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah ha, me stupid, they do, but it was a fair bit more money and I had to sign up to a monthly contract.

When im out and about and want to use it for the internet and emails I can simply patch it through my mobile phone, costs me nothing.

i wonder if I can patch through the mobile phone GPS ?
Jim

I tried hooking my ipad to my mobile phone today, and it works, you can use the mobile phone as a GPS receiver and the memory map software works as it should do :thumbup:

Saved me £100

How did you hook up the phone?

I put blutooth on both
Made the phone a hotspot
And paired them

Ipad still doesnt "see" a gps
Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I hooked it up via blue tooth and the mobile tethering connection on my phone, I think it used the blue tooth.
i have a Galaxy Mini phone.
I obviously had the GPS on on the phone.

Last edited:
I did some googling and apparently it is probably using the wifi licocation and not gps

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

I tried hooking my ipad to my mobile phone today, and it works, you can use the mobile phone as a GPS receiver and the memory map software works as it should do :thumbup:

Saved me £100
I suspect this will only work whilst you have phone signal or are within range of a known wifi spot, it may not be that good when you head to more remote locations, or abroad.

I have been using this https://www.emprum.com for a few years now with my wifi only iPad 2, and it works great. No blue tooth and you can charge and dialogue through it. Their site says that you need a 30pin to lightening port Apple adaptor to use it on iPhone 5 or iPad minis.

Get one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-B...8&qid=1410774382&sr=8-5&keywords=GPS+receiver

Has worked for me when sailing on an Atlantic crossing and seems fine on land so far.

The trouble with Apple mobile devises is that the GPS receiver is built into the GSM mobile unit so you can only get GPS with the Sim version, stupid I know!

The above receiver is great, you can mount it on the inside or on the dash and connect multiple devises to it via bluetooth and they will all track accurately, just remember to keep it plugged into the 12v power!

Back