Which insurance company do you use?

• Total voters

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Having just gone through the "fun" of renewing insurance I had to do a skim of the posts to find suitable companies to call. I thought having a sticky poll of the companies you have taken out insurance with and which came in cheapest would be a handy constant view of the options.

Not scientific but a guide..

Let me know others and I will fill them in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was with Flux for Lil Blue, but now both the 120 and car with Axa.... Generally I just use one of the comparison sites and go with the cheapest company that I recognise

I have actually used all the above companies apart from Chris Knott over the years. Norcounty was the biggest surprise of the lot as they did not offer me an additional years NCB, so I made a big fuss as I was not made aware of this when I took the policy out and they gave me an additional year and I left.

I always go for the cheapest, but Flux have been doing a deal where they beat your best quote recently so now have both cars with them.

I have just shopped around for new insurance for my LC and got the run around by Adrian Flux. They basically quoted me a huge increase in premium to insure my LC80 instead of my Discovery. I was then told I had over £120 in charges to pay if I cancelled the policy. I decided to ring round for quotes to see if it was still worthwhile.

Out of all the companies I called for quotes Chris Knott and Lancaster seemed to be the most reasonable and would quote for a vehicle with modifications. They were neck and neck but Chris Knott had the upper hand by a few quid and the add on extras seemed to just pip the agreed valuation of Lancasters quote.

In the end, when I told AF to cancel the policy they suddenly announced that they would find me a better deal and proceeded to offer me the exact same policy I have now but nearly £300 cheaper!!! The upshot was that I decided to stick with AF until I have to renew in October and if they try that stunt again they will be told where to poke it!

NFU are great for my Hilux. In fact I go through NFU for all my other insurance policies, including travel, contents and my cars. However, this time they couldn't do my LC at a competitive rate.

Incidentally, if anyone is going to get a quote from NFU then I can recommend speaking to Sue at NFU Westhills in Aberdeen. She is good at wrangling the quote to get the optimum price and I have been dealing with them for years. Sue is part of the furniture there and great to deal with. Just tell her Donkey sent you...that should get a laugh out of her! Easy tiger! its not for the reason you were thinking of either!!!!:lol:

Oh and for the record I'm not associated with NFU or their affiliated companies either...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've added NFU to the list

Holy thread resurection here but, i just got what i thought was a descent price form Lloyds for my standard 1996 4.2 vx £153 FULLY COMP !!! i am just over 50 and also have policies on another car and van. I must admit i took great joy in telling me 28yr old son how horrendous the price was :icon-biggrin:

1996 4.2 vx £153 FULLY COMP !!!

I will be having a word with AF the next time a policy is due. Mine generally in the low £2's

got 0 offer from Moneysupermarket and NFU refused based on my postcode (Staines-Upon-Thames)!
Adrian Flux have come through though..

Flux just won themselves another vote . Very pleased :thumbup:

Had my 1996 Mitsubishi 2.8 Shogun for seven years, latterly with AF, but changed to my 1998 2.9 Colorado in March, and just had my renewal quote on this, & ouch!!
Eleven years unblemished & protected NCB, have another 4x4 Jimny also with them, but still feels way too high for this. Probably my biggest ever quote for insurance even in my 38 years driving. One fault claim in my youth, and an SAC at 36mph through my stupidity it was 30 not 40 which Admiral then wanted £150 added to the premium.
Just tried Direct Line again as were there before, but ticking all the options to become about an equal price, just, but still amazed just how different the quotes were between the same style of 4x4 vehicle, similar CC, and my status & requirements. The only noticeable change was the age of cars of the two 4x4, two years difference and 0.1cc!
Currently covered fully comp to drive other cars on loan, (family stuff mainly or when mine in for service/mot), and no-reward carrying carer passengers in winter snow as a volunteer.
Have given others a chance to compare with quotes and until I have had all of them I will not divulge to any, each other, or here until I settle on either AF again, or any of the others who can agree to competitive, or be less for the same like for like.

In my day job when I quote for a job, I never get to see other competitors quotes or get to re-quote, so why should Insurers always want to pitch as high as possible in an assumption we will just take it year in & out without question, yet we do the work to find cheaper and hey suddenly they come back with a lower one too, in an attempt to keep the business.
Just as bad with stories from my mechanic about fully comp payouts on no-fault incidents offering just trade value settlements, no way enough to buy another equivalent car, one was less than a year old, written off by the other driver. So yes I too feel aggrieved by the insurance companies, all in it for themselves, and the brokers piggy in the middle trying to probably make an honest living like the rest of us.

Voted other as use to be with AF but they kept messing me about with wrong paperwork and high renewals so went with Sky and been with them for the last few years now :)

Back