Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Group buy - 80 series rear tailgate decks in stainless or aluminuim

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Guys, a show of hands in terms of interest please if you will. Tired of soggy stinking old carpet on your 80 series? Ingrained Pot Noodle and fag burns spoiling an other wise beautiful vehicle? Or just plain too heavy due to excessive pie consumption leading to a huge dent in the middle of the tailgate?

I am in the position to be able to offer laser profiled and black epoxy coated replacement decks. But the cost is dependant on quantity. These are NOT chequer plated, they are smooth finish with an incredibly tough black epoxy coating on them. I can't tell you a great deal more than that at the second.

This chap's work is extremely good. There's no bodge welding or rough edges etc. It's very very clean, tide and precise. I want a couple myself. I have asked if he could do them with cubby boxes let into them so all you do is cut out a part of the tailgate and drop these in to give you two little lockers as some people have already done. Well, one step at a time folks. I need to see if people are interested in the flat plates first, then we can talk about developments. He needs to see that there is a market. Currently most of his stuff is for inferior vehicles.

Here are the prices so far. Please do not ask if you can have orange stripes or one for a Colorado. We have to start somewhere first.

1 on its own would be £192 inc vat in textured black plus £10 p+p.
5 x would be £136 inc vat each plus £35 p+p shipped to one destination or £10 per unit mainland uk. Great if we all buy them and are going to Lincomb!
10 x would be £92 each plus £49 p+p shipped to one destination or £10 to your door
15x would be £79 postage as above
20 x would be £69 each - you get the idea. Basically £80 each delivered.

Personally I'd love two myself at £69 each. But I don't know that we'd get that many people interested. 10 is realistic maybe so £92 each plus £10 p&p.

Remember these are accurately cut and very tough finish. We can choose from 3mm aluminium or stainless. I don't know if we can mix and match or they all need to be one material at the second. It's taken a while to get this far if I am honest.

So, any takers? Form an orderly list. This is not a commitment to buy, it's a gauging of response. Some of you have done this already I know, but not everyone has the skill or material availability to do it. For those that have, I am sure you'd agree that £69 would be a very cheap option. If I can get a picture I will, but come on guys, it's a flat black piece of metal the same shape and size of your carpet. It will have holes in for fixings and all you'll need to do is drop some plastic inserts into the holes for some stainless screws. Again, I will get details on countersinking etc etc. OK?

1. Chris, I'd take 2 at the right price

Interested but have we a photo mate or hasn't one been made yet?

If I get an 80 then yes pls for one.

i take it some thing like wagongears?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 333
Price depending would be interested, cubby box sounds good again price depending.

Guys, a show of hands in terms of interest please if you will. Tired of soggy stinking old carpet on your 80 series? Ingrained Pot Noodle and fag burns spoiling an other wise beautiful vehicle? Or just plain too heavy due to excessive pie consumption leading to a huge dent in the middle of the tailgate?

I am in the position to be able to offer laser profiled and black epoxy coated replacement decks. But the cost is dependant on quantity. These are NOT chequer plated, they are smooth finish with an incredibly tough black epoxy coating on them. I can't tell you a great deal more than that at the second.

This chap's work is extremely good. There's no bodge welding or rough edges etc. It's very very clean, tide and precise. I want a couple myself. I have asked if he could do them with cubby boxes let into them so all you do is cut out a part of the tailgate and drop these in to give you two little lockers as some people have already done. Well, one step at a time folks. I need to see if people are interested in the flat plates first, then we can talk about developments. He needs to see that there is a market. Currently most of his stuff is for inferior vehicles.

Here are the prices so far. Please do not ask if you can have orange stripes or one for a Colorado. We have to start somewhere first.

1 on its own would be £192 inc vat in textured black plus £10 p+p.
5 x would be £136 inc vat each plus £35 p+p shipped to one destination or £10 per unit mainland uk. Great if we all buy them and are going to Lincomb!
10 x would be £92 each plus £49 p+p shipped to one destination or £10 to your door
15x would be £79 postage as above
20 x would be £69 each - you get the idea. Basically £80 each delivered.

Personally I'd love two myself at £69 each. But I don't know that we'd get that many people interested. 10 is realistic maybe so £92 each plus £10 p&p.

Remember these are accurately cut and very tough finish. We can choose from 3mm aluminium or stainless. I don't know if we can mix and match or they all need to be one material at the second. It's taken a while to get this far if I am honest.

So, any takers? Form an orderly list. This is not a commitment to buy, it's a gauging of response. Some of you have done this already I know, but not everyone has the skill or material availability to do it. For those that have, I am sure you'd agree that £69 would be a very cheap option. If I can get a picture I will, but come on guys, it's a flat black piece of metal the same shape and size of your carpet. It will have holes in for fixings and all you'll need to do is drop some plastic inserts into the holes for some stainless screws. Again, I will get details on countersinking etc etc. OK?

2. Yogi, I'd take 1 at the right price (just one cause I only have one 80!)

I have added my name to the list!

Warren, no it doesn't look anything like that. It's simply a perfect profile of the current carpet board that you have. No handles, cubby boxes or anything. But I have heard from him and some sort of cubby hole IS possible. But it's not in current production hence me trying to get a feeling who would be interested in just a basic replacement to start with.

No picture at present. Why? Because I haven't' got one. But like I say, really not much to see. They will be secured with rivnuts I understand and stainless button head bolts. Ie domed allen key bolts. They have been made before and I have seen one, but there is no current stock. It's an item I asked for and when I found the price for one, I asked about bulk buy as a batch run gets the price down. So like I said, I just need to see who would have a firm interest in what is actually being offered to start. I can't offer you anything more than that at the second. It's purely interest that I am trying to ascertain. How much with storage compartments in? I haven't a Scooby Doo. Not yet. It's all going to depend on numbers. But they wouldn't be really cheap even with a decent order number. There would be a good deal of work in them I'd think.

Keep it coming. If you are interested, please just copy the list, paste it in and add your name. No need to quote the whole thread - it'll get massive otherwise. If we can get going on a nice simple item like this (or yes one with cubbies in I know I know) then we can maybe get to some other products. We suffer from two main issues here, lack of choice and very high prices. If we have someone in the UK making quality kit as sensible prices, that would have to be a good thing no?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think its a great idea Chris, Its not that making one of these would be a massive job, its more that making it nicely, with a really good finish would be.

Plus if it opened the door to make a few more bits of kit, it would be excellent.

Last edited:
That's the spirit!

Just been chatting with him and his concern is that the cruiser market might not be large enough to make it worth while. I get that, but I have said that there IS a market and that people want good kit that is affordable. The cruiser market is large enough, but not everyone wants to pay for parts. There is always someone who can do better with plywood and an old flysheet. He says he has several bits for Cruisers but the cost in getting them to production (from a prototype I guess) means he has to sell a lot to break even by which time, everyone who is going to buy one, has done. I have not seen the tailgate cubby thing but it sound bloody good. He says he'd need to sell 30 to make it worth while. I can't see 30 members on here buying the cubby tailgate.

3. Chas with cubby boxes

That's the spirit!

I have not seen the tailgate cubby thing but it sound bloody good. He says he'd need to sell 30 to make it worth while. I can't see 30 members on here buying the cubby tailgate.
Dependant on price I'm very interested.

3. Chas with cubby boxes
4. Rob, ideally at sub £100

:)

Good man Chris - bargain if we get to the 20

3. Chas with cubby boxes
5. Grant, ideally with cubby box

Agreed. I really can't be bothered to make one myself

3. Chas with cubby boxes
6. Mark, ideal price if we get to 10-20

Also be interested if you get to add a cubby box.

Cheers, Mark

3. Chas, one, sub £100 with cubby boxes

Cheers, Mark

Last edited:
Could somebody add me to the list as I'm struggling with Tapatalk at the moment.

Richard 1 ideally sub £100 delivered.

Thanks

Richard

3. Chas, one, with cubby boxes
7. Richard 1 ideally sub £100 delivered.

3. Chas, one, with cubby boxes
7.karl, maybe 2depending on design etc. Sub £100
8.Richard.sub £100

Back