Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OME or Ironman? 2" lift kit.

Haakon Borge Stenbeck

Country Flag
norway
I'm about to purchase a lift kit for my new LC90. What should I choose?

I've had OME before on a LR and springs sagged quite a lot so I'm a bit skeptic.

Ironman is a bit cheaper here in Norway.

New OME rear shocks only lasted from Ireland to southern Morocco (springs were ok). There were corrugations and some rough tracks but nothing that would be expected to do in a pair of shocks.

Ironman springs and shocks were fine after two years of offroad abuse and were fine when I sold the vehicle.

OME, never again.

I just ordered the kit from Pedders, there are some good reports on here & I found them helpful & responsive

It's an interesting topic is the suspension one and you want find many that have tried them all and speak with experience of them all in all scenarios. As we all use our trucks in different ways with different loads one mans meat will always be another mans poison! I had a 'B' spec Ironman set up on Fiery, but soon found that the rear springs just were not up to the job of supporting my constant plus 100Kg load and 200Kg load when away for a weekend of fun! So I replaced the rear springs with a pair of new KYB 80 series LC front springs and could not have been happier. I kept the Ironman rear shocks as they were fine and I had no complaints with them. If they had required replacing though I would have probably gone with a pair of Monroe 80 series LC rear shocks to keep a theme going and put a 10mm spacer in the rear axle bump stops. After this it soon became apparent that the front Ironman springs had also settled more than one would have liked and so after much messing about and investigation I fitted a 6mm strut top spacer that gave me an additional 12/15mm lift. This is the absolute max thickness of spacer one can fit to an already lift front end without seriously compromising the top and bottom ball joints!! My latest truck Swampy came with an Ironman 'B' spec suspension fitted and I have already removed the rear springs and fitted a pair of 80 series LC front springs. It is my intention when time allows to fit a pair of OME front struts with a pair of 882 coils, for me I feel that this is the ultimate suspension set up. Another thing that I've often thought is that we buy these well used high mileage trucks often with the original suspension although functional completely shot! So why not fit all new standard front suspension components from say KYB. I would not ba at all surprised to learn that you gain a modest lift over what you've removed due to it having been past its best and then fit a 20/25mm strut top spacer to gain the lift and fit the 80 series LC suspension components to the rear end. Just a thought :)

Linky http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...eries-front-springs-fitted-to-Fierys-rear-end

Last edited:
New OME rear shocks only lasted from Ireland to southern Morocco (springs were ok). There were corrugations and some rough tracks but nothing that would be expected to do in a pair of shocks.

Ironman springs and shocks were fine after two years of offroad abuse and were fine when I sold the vehicle.

OME, never again.

I should add that Frog's Island offered me replacement shocks under warranty but as I had already replaced them, they gave me a full refund and also refunded the postage to send them back from Ireland to the UK.

Top service from Frog's Island.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you had both rear shocks fail after such a short time, it would suggest that the shocks and springs were not matched to the vehicle load.

My experience with Ironman is that they sag quite badly and rust is a big problem with their suspension products. If you spec the OME kit correctly then OME will be the better choice for overlanding out of those 2 manufacturers. If you just want an off-road toy then I would go with Ironman.

Depending on budget and availability it may be worth exploring other options as well.

Last edited:
Good summary Rob. I have spent a good deal on two complete IM set ups and I have to say I very much liked the ride. But the finish? I could save them a fortune, just don't bother coating them at the factory. Send them out as bare metal and save us all the disappointment.

I won't buy anything IM ever again. Sorry, but having tried to complain and been given a shrug of the shoulders they have lost my dollar. If I went with OME I actually think I would find a way to either lacquer coat them or re finish them before I put them on. Yes they are better but still not suited to our salty roads. Variable levels of rust from none to err, Ironman. Hey a new adjective for stages of rusting.

Interested in the Slinky set up but it's a very expensive option. We've yet to see the Pedders short to medium term test. We don't really have huge choices here for Cruiser suspension.

I have been looking at the terrafirma stuff. the shocks are fully adjustable so should be able to change to suit your needs at the time you need it. if they take the weight of a 130 should be able to take a cruiser just need to do some measuring.
stu

Every Terrafirma spring I have ever owned sagged in less than a year

Thank you guys for your advice. My problem is that the selection is quite to minimum here in Norway and shipping can be quite expensive.

But, which OME setup would you choose? I need the lift to fit 255/85-16 and I'm not planning any trips that would need heavy load.

Most go for the 881 front coils as the 882's give so much lift that the CV joints produce noise and sometimes vibration due to them running outside of their well worn wear area. Most that fit the 882 springs go on to retro fit 881 springs as a fix to this, but those who stick with the 882's generally report no ill effect months down the road and occasionally an improvement in the noise. OME also suggest in their blurb to expect their springs to sag by up to 25mm in an unspecified running in period. Most who fit the 882 springs have at least a front winch fitted if not a winch bumper.

Try out this Old Man Emu suspension selector http://www.oldmanemu.com.au/old-man-emu-suspension-selector/

The interesting thing about the 881 and 882 springs is that they are the same spring rate and bar diameter as each other. The 882's are just 20mm taller than the 881's :)

With respect to the rear springs most seem to favor the +150Kg 891's, but then most are expecting to load the boot up a tad at least a couple of weekends each year for some fun in the mud :) ;)

pedders 002.jpgVery happy with my pedders suspensionSAM_0260.JPG

I think my kit may be delivered today! before measurements with stock 265 70 16 tyres (pumped up!)
Drivers side front floor to wheel arch 87.5cm
Drivers side rear floor to wheel arch 88 cm
Passenger side rear floor to wheel arch 87.5cm
Passenger side front 88cm

Pretty well all the same apart from 5mm corner to corner Mind you I have a box of "stuff" on rear passenger side seat - When all my stuff comes and gets fitted I will measure again!

20140326_083659.jpg

20140326_083710.jpg

20140326_083725.jpg

As he is now ;)

Last edited:
look what has just arrived! hows that for service - ordered over weekend, read order Monday morning and Wed lunchtime they are here! Thanks Pedders
20140326_111559.jpg

Back