Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Reversing camera, plus some

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
My old European spec 80 has a radio with a blanking plate beneath it, suggesting enough space is available for a double DIN unit. The radio is sh!te and I did away with the non working aerial when I re sprayed the car. I'm tired of the low quality sound coming from the Parrot playing USB mp3s and after a few incidents, I also fancied a reversing camera.

So what was the answer? Fit a double DIN unit with a half decent amp, USB compatible, reverse camera input, DVD/CD, all I could wish for, not wanting a radio, even though it is a radio receiver as well. Also shelled out for some decent speakers.

I left the truck with my trusted jobbie mate while I'm away, so I haven't seen or heard it yet, but he sent me some pics for those interested...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 340
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 351
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 356
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 364
That looks pretty cool! Having tinted the windows in the darkest possible tint, its difficult to see out the back in the dark, OK with mirrors, but if off tarmac, cant see the odd stump etc. Might have to have another toy!

I bought a reversing camera quite a while ago but lazy bugger that I am it's still in it's box :oops:, :think: looking at your pics Clive I think it's time to look for that box.

Well Steve and Chas, you both seem to have talked yourselves into a job next weekend :lol:.

My problem in a lifted 80 (and you'll probably notice the difference Steve, with your lift fitted) in the mirrors or even looking over your shoulder, the rear view is often straight over the top of many cars. For example, I reversed into the front of some guy's car quite a while ago, and the underside of my back bumper came into contact with his car half way along his bonnet!

Last winter, I was reversing out of a car park space at one of the ski resorts and in the mirrors, all I could see was the white-over car park. I wasn't going with any speed, but the truck stopped without me braking (always a bad sign I thought to myself :think:) and lo and behold, when I jumped out to have a look, the bottom of my big spare wheel had dented the top of a Citroen's tailgate/ boot/ hatchback thingy.

Not good.

So I confess to no more (there is more :whistle:) than "needing" some assistance from a reverse camera, and with luck, I've killed a few birdies with one JVC, so to speak. :icon-biggrin:

I have a camera on the Amazon - within 6ft of the rear bumper, anything below chest height disappears from view. It does mean you can get within millimetres of whatever you're backing up to.

Last edited:
Well Steve and Chas, you both seem to have talked yourselves into a job next weekend :lol:.

Got to find that bloody camera first.

For now I have to recover from the builders price for all my 'Improvements' to the garage and a couple of things done to the garden, new trellis, repaired fence and other bits and bobs
£6500 :icon-eek: :icon-eek: :icon-eek: I had a lower quote to begin with but I kept adding jobs for him, a big mistake I think! He does a very good job though, After a couple of cowboys I've had he's the only one I have working on my house and all his previous jobs are still going strong.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know the feeling Chas. We've had quite a big push on the work to do in the extension and we got the labour bill last week, 35,000 Lei (appx 7,000 Euro).

My missus was dead chuffed that I'd just spent 500 Euro on a reverse camera that I could have bought for less than 100 Euro (that's the way she put it anyway) :think:

Funny the way women look at things for the truck in a very strange way, don't you think?

Last edited:
Well, now you have done it! 50£ on a wireless reversing camera, with screen thing that fits over the rear view mirror! I am thinking of mounting it high, under the roof rack and pointing down a bit more, leaving on when the ignition is on, so you can see if any Feds are chasing you..........and any stumps/walls/mx-5's hiding behind it. My van has bleepers when you go into reverse, but no good when the trailer & mower is on! I 'might' have to get another if this one is any good :) CAMERA

Well, now you have done it! 50£ on a wireless reversing camera, with screen thing that fits over the rear view mirror! I am thinking of mounting it high, under the roof rack and pointing down a bit more, leaving on when the ignition is on, so you can see if any Feds are chasing you..........and any stumps/walls/mx-5's hiding behind it. My van has bleepers when you go into reverse, but no good when the trailer & mower is on! I 'might' have to get another if this one is any good :) CAMERA

Nice Steve,

$_35.JPG

Do they throw-in the chic in the boots with big hooters? :lol:

After a couple of cowboys I've had he's the only one I have working on my house and all his previous jobs are still going strong.

Can I grab his details of you Chas? I may need a good builder soon.

Can I grab his details of you Chas? I may need a good builder soon.

He'll be here tomorrow to finish off, I'll speak to him then. He's not cheap but he is good.

PM me your address and I'll pass it on, if that's OK

Last edited:
Nice bit of kit. Ordered some led bulbs for the reverse lights, tow bar takes care of the rest lol.

My reversing cam sits between the reg plate lights on the lower tail gate .... will get a pic in a bit

My reversing cam sits between the reg plate lights on the lower tail gate .... will get a pic in a bit

I've seen those on the bay Carl, but I've got doors on the back of my 80 and the direct "in-the-bumper" mount looked the best option for me.

Pics would be good though... :icon-biggrin:

IMG_2503a.jpg

Last edited:
Little camera turned up today and was fitted (in the Dordogne rain)

only place I could find to mount the camera - took a live from one of the rear wiper motor plugs (live when Ignition on) and used that, earth to bolt in door. Drilled a hole in the rear door behind number plate mount, poked it all through and mounted camera.

20140422_163132.jpg

As its wireless, thats it for the camera end!

Mount the tv on the mirror - just spring clamps that may well ping off on rough terrain!

wire up with the wireless! receiver to tv and we are away! I hid wires as best I could....

20140422_163156.jpg
OK OK, there's a great chunck of Cooper ST in the way, but my tow ball is only just out of view, and you can see feet if I hide behind the tyre! May have a re-think about camera position if it proves to be a PITA.

Happy with the quality of picture though - for the moment its on when the ignition is on - that way I can see if the feds are chasing me! It even has a little remote if you cant be bothered to reach up a bit!

20140422_163317.jpg
It has another input if you want a watch a video or something too ;)

Last edited:
Hey, that's neat enough Steve! :icon-biggrin:

I also have a segment of BFG Mud in the top right hand corner but not as much a problem as you have!

2014-04-07 09.35.11a.jpg

I like the idea of it being wireless and the on all the time option.

Mine's wired to the reverse gear so it only gives an image when in reverse gear (not so easy to get a picture whilst the feds are in hot pursuit :lol:).

An override switch may have some entertainment value I suppose! :thumbup:

Last edited:
mmm, me thinks camera reposition! just tried it in the dark & looks OK :)

Thought id ask this here as its the right topic :)

My double din system turned up today and requires a handbrake wire and a reverse wire.

Im planning on wiring the handbrake one direct to earth so the passenger can use while im driving but where can I find a reverse feed (I assume for the reverse camera) at the front of the vehicle rather than running all the way to the rear lights ?

Sadly, I didn't install my unit, but someone on here will help you out I hope.

My guess would be you tap into the reverse light switch on the gearbox, but usually this can be done at a terminal block, which I hope someone will guide you to.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.:oops:

Thats cool chap - I thought I had the wiring manuals for it but seems ive only got what looks like LHD ones and Amazon ones :(

Back