Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

winch rope protector

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
i know people use
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GOODWINCH 'ROCKGUARD' Dyneema® Bowrope Protector [/FONT]​

for example to protect winch rope from rocks etc

but what do you use to protect the winch rope from heat build up on winch, for the first few wraps of rope round the winch drum?
same thing or something else?

Same thing on mine Andy.

I though one of the plus points of TDS winches was the external brake, less heat into the drum?

My plasma is just wound straight on.

Same here. Plasma straight into the drum and never had an issue

Yep, correct with the TDS. No drum heat.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ok - thanks guys! no rope protector on drum then :)

Save it for the business end, just replaced mine as it was ripped, saved my winch rope from damage.

I have left the protective sleeve on the drum end of my synthetic rope not for heat protection, but to give me a clear indication as when the rope is near to coming off the drum. A couple of the chaps that I off road with have a much wider rock protector sleeve that slides along the rope to use for protecting the synthetic over obstacles, but it never seems to be the right thing for the job and mostly just a pain in the arse as you need to keep it at the hook end to be of any use if ever required! I carry an off cut of carpet about 8" wide and a couple of foot long that I place under the rope as and when required. It's also handy for kneeling on as well :)

Last edited:
just slightly off topic here ... (sorry) ... but what spec rope are you guys using ... my old steel wire rope needs replacing. .. got a 9.5TDS fitted ...

Back