Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tail Lights conversion

tempur

Dear LC enthusiasts,

I'm considering moving the tail lights on my 1997 J9 from their current location (bumper) to where they are supposed to be (next to the tailgate). I understand that Toyota changed the lay out to comply with legislation in Europe at the time (maximum height of lights) but this limitation no longer seems to apply. Prados sold in the Far East and Australia seem to have reflectors in the bumpers instead.

Has anyone ever done this successfully and am I right in thinking that such a conversion would be legal?

Thanks for any advice on the matter.

Tempur

Don't think height was the issue. The lights have to be visible from certain angles and the spare wheel gets in the way. Even without a spare the rear door gets in the way when open. I've seen lots on the road with the conversion and think you would be very unlucky to get nicked, or fail an MOT; but there's the chance.

Thanks. I hadn't realised that the mounted spare wheel could block the tail lights from certain angles. Better check with the authorities before I change anything.

Well you can just duplicate them. Leave the ones in the bumper intact. That should keep you on the safe side.

depending on the LC, but typically if you have a rear wheel on the door the tail lights are in the bumper, if you have no rear wheel then the tail lights are on the body.

This is for legislative reasons and obstruction of lights on roundabouts etc by the rear wheel.

If you look at the two LC's you will see that the bumpers are quite different.

hope it helps

I have installed tail lights and a second reverse light in the upper cluster. With both sets active, It looks better and is safer. The wiring loom is already there, just a matter of putting in bulb holders and connecting them up.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the most useful advice. My main reason for wanting to move up the lights is that the bumper set-up is rather exposed to the elements (rusty bulb holders, etc.)

I have installed tail lights and a second reverse light in the upper cluster. With both sets active, It looks better and is safer. The wiring loom is already there, just a matter of putting in bulb holders and connecting them up.
Did you also manage to move braking lights to the vertical tail lights?

9 year post alert! No, I haven't. Reason being that the regs state that the same light lens cannot be used for both brake and fog light. Left the brake in the bumper and the upper is a tail/fog using the 21/5w LED replacement.

was it possible to put the indicator lights also in the upper light cluster? I also wanted to do this since I bought mine!

Yes, I have indicators up there too.. you'll need either an amber bulb, or correct colour LED (which I have) as the lenses are clear. Otherwise its very simple. The wiring is all there. Proper bulb holders and you're set

Yes, I have indicators up there too.. you'll need either an amber bulb, or correct colour LED (which I have) as the lenses are clear. Otherwise its very simple. The wiring is all there. Proper bulb holders and you're set
Would you happen to know the part number of the bulb holders? I would not know where to begin to search for those.

Not sure how easy these are to source, but if you can get the japanese version of the cluster it is set up for indicators.
Screenshot_20230922-230040.jpg

Would you happen to know the part number of the bulb holders? I would not know where to begin to search for those.
Terisass Brake Stop & Tail Bulb Holder Light Holder Connector 2Pcs 12-24V Car LED Light Bulb Holder Connector Plug Adapter 1157 Automobile Turn Signal Brake Lamp Adapter Wiring Cable https://amzn.eu/d/34LxIje

I just bought these and drilled out the blanks in the cluster

I found them on a website, but then your brake lights are also in the budy lights. But where does your rear fog light go then?
Rear fog is the thing stuck under the bumper - JDM models don't have a rear fog from the factory (though they do have the switch in the dash).

Terisass Brake Stop & Tail Bulb Holder Light Holder Connector 2Pcs 12-24V Car LED Light Bulb Holder Connector Plug Adapter 1157 Automobile Turn Signal Brake Lamp Adapter Wiring Cable https://amzn.eu/d/34LxIje

I just bought these and drilled out the blanks in the cluster
I've ordered bulb holders. Did you put those knife-like connectors on the wires to connect the sockets to the loom connector? I've found some online. Did you use something similar?

1695641651214.png
1695641665755.png

You could do that.. I've done that for the cruise control connection in the ateering wheel before. Its a nice job.

On my light cluster I removed the block connector and soldered them in line with heatshrink. Unlikely I'll need to remove the wiring.. and if I ever do.. hey its a few minutes to reconnect.

I've ordered bulb holders. Did you put those knife-like connectors on the wires to connect the sockets to the loom connector? I've found some online. Did you use something similar?

[/URL]
[/URL]

View attachment 333377View attachment 333378
I'll give this a try this year. First I've got to replace my suspension, got Old Man EMU package today!

Back