Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do I need to run a return back to the battery? Or will the chassis do?

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Do some electrics in the back and have a 16mm pos run from the battery, can I use a local chassis connection as the return or do I need to run in another 16mm cable?
Cheers
Craig
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397814135.112261.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In doing almost exactly the same and plan to run a second 16mm cable for the return. Might be overkill but given my truck is coming up for 19 years old I'd prefer nice shiny new cable to possibly corroded chassis confections.

Had a look were the original cable was run and there doesn't seem anymore room, so connected to to the biggest nut and bolt I could find! It works! Just trying how to running cables into the upper tailgate at moment!

I have a anderson plug on the back of the car for a winch on the trailer and I use the chassis (other than the short bit from the socket)
and never had a problem, but use about 50 mm as I also use it for jump starting.

There is some people who say you should run a separate cable but I cannot see why, as most cars use the chassis as a earth return anyway

so basically you should be fine as long as you fuse the appliances (which I can see you have)

The chassis will be the better option IMO. Just make sure the earth connections are good at either end and use one of the main chassis rails.

Great folks, thanks for the info, feel happier that things should be ok.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A very good friend of mine once burnt half the wiring loom out on his car after earthing a rear winch to the chassis. :doh:

For this reason I'd always go back to the battery with anything drawing a lot of amps like a winch. :think:

in the event of a problem with your earth connection, the current will find it's own path, which in the even of circuit with a high fuse rating, could mean the scenario above of taking out the rest of your wiring as it uses that for the return path through wiring not able to cope with the current.

in the event of a problem with your earth connection, the current will find it's own path, which in the even of circuit with a high fuse rating, could mean the scenario above of taking out the rest of your wiring as it uses that for the return path through wiring not able to cope with the current.

Agreed. That's why I made the point about making sure the earth connections are good at either end. Might even be prudent to fit a new/extra one from battery to chassis.

Will check the existing connections, but also think about running in that new return cable back to the battery.

Agreed. That's why I made the point about making sure the earth connections are good at either end. Might even be prudent to fit a new/extra one from battery to chassis.

yes, I noted your point about making connections good, but over time in an arduous off road environment it is quite possible the earth could fail. It might be good and sound today, but how about in 10 years time, then you have an electrical surge with no protection.

From my experience of an electrical fire in the rear quarter panel caused by a rear wiper live that broke, I wouldn't leave anything to chance.

Electrical problems at best leave you stranded, and they never happen at a good time.

I was 80 kms from civilization, it was winter and -20C, it was dark, and I had passengers relying on me with an age range from my father in law at 92 down to my baby daughter who was 6 months old at the time.

The horrible stench of burning electrics, followed by flames behind the trim panel didn't do much for my wife's confidence in our invincible truck and the stress, despair, frustration and real danger of the situation would have overwhelmed us all had I not managed to stay calm and apply proper reasoning to the circumstances. I managed to isolate the offending live, but it left me with no rear lights, no brake lights and no rear accessories.

I ended up cobbling some emergency lighting to the back to get me home, but the journey was stressful, my missus continually vocalizing her imagining "can I smell burning again?" didn't help too much, and who could blame her?

IMHO, do everything to avoid it, run a complete HD return is my advice. In fact, run two would be better advice :lol:

Hi there

I would take the chassis option but the other posts are right to voice caution, any additional electrics should always have an inline fuse.

Giles

My short out was soon after I took ownership. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't yet, to check that their fuses are the right rating for use. It's a 5 min job on the 80 because they're all coded at the fuse box.

I didn't check mine, of course, and the PO had inserted a 35amp in the 10amp slot.

This meant that early on in the burn out phase, the 35 amp fuse must have been glowing like a bulb I imagine because not only did the wires burn and fuse together, but the whole fuse box melted too!

It was a real mess.

That's an idea, I could do with a replacement fuse box, the one low down on the dash panel....Karl? I'm paying the UK a visit all next week, maybe I can swing by Karl's place and pick one up. :dance:

It would Chas, can't agree more!

I'm mainly visiting family in Birmingham, so we're flying there, and picking up a rental from the airport. That effectively by-passes London altogether, but there's no reason why we can't take a drive south.

I want to do some day trips out to show Aura and Ana more of England and Wales (we spent time in Scotland on two previous UK trips).

So the answer's yes, when and where do you suggest? IIRC, I saw you trying to encourage a members meet up recently, could we tag along to that? :pray:

If the dates work for me I'd be ultra keen to come along too!

It would Chas, can't agree more!

I'm mainly visiting family in Birmingham, so we're flying there, and picking up a rental from the airport. That effectively by-passes London altogether, but there's no reason why we can't take a drive south.

I want to do some day trips out to show Aura and Ana more of England and Wales (we spent time in Scotland on two previous UK trips).

So the answer's yes, when and where do you suggest? IIRC, I saw you trying to encourage a members meet up recently, could we tag along to that? :pray:

If you are going to be driving down you could drive round the M25 to Junction10 and then the A3 into London, I'll send you a map to my house, it's a long way round but if you drove across London it would take a lot longer, we can arrange a meeting place when you decide if you're driving, or if not a convenient railway station.

Back