Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Box under passenger seat

warrenpfo

Can anyone enlighten me on what it might be? About the size of a couple of decks of cards and a smaller box strapped to it?

I can upload a photo if that helps.

Its strapped to the carpet with a belt

Last edited:
These might help

any5apy7.jpg

agevagu9.jpg

u9areryt.jpg

y5urezus.jpg

Motion sensor and part of the alarm?

The uk spec have the alarm grubbins in the centre console. With yours having the fridge maybe there isn't the room ??

No fridge and as far as I have been told no alarm either. Well that's what every insurance company told me when asking about it.

The plugs do not look 'factory', have you followed the loom they were plugged into? As per earlier comments, the box with the hole could be a volumetric sensor for an alarm, some of Jap models had the fridge and some had rear A/C so perhaps another type of temp sensor. Either way does not look factory but of course I could be wrong.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Plugs into main harness that runs up and down the passenger side. I will try and open it

The number comes back on a Google hit as being fitted to other Toyota models, it has been suggested that it may have had something to do with a rear mounted CD changer?

Central door locking interface?

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Hmmm I had an aftermarket CD player fitted so it might be but given the two cylinder hobbies with copper wound round and the fave it has a hole to allow air to pass in and out along with adjustment I would say indicates something to do with volumetric measuring of differences so maybe some form of alarm?? The plot thickens. This is just me guessing still.

Warren - my guess is the screened can thing looks like a small radio receiver, the two 'coils' possibly a simple di-pole aerial. The thing with the plus sign on it - not sure but small ceramic sounders look like that too. Only guesses mind

I thought let me just go and double check this wiring...

yguga8uj.jpg

It all looked factory but on closer inspection... It's not part of the factory loom but rather a very factory added extra. Follow that black cable...
6ytegenu.jpg

e4u8yjet.jpg

Hmmm behind the glove box

zeda8y4a.jpg

ybydasat.jpg

Over to the drivers side, more to come

I had the exact same thing in my 3rd gen Surf, it is for the remote central locking system, the key that came with it looked like this DSCF0001.jpg

It would seem we are on the right track. It taps in to the passenger door then across to the drives door whilst picking up a single feed from a wire at the steering column and what looks like a signal from another black box that it also taps into.

Steering column feed

epa2a6ym.jpg

What looks like power due to the fuses from the black box

e5u6udyg.jpg

eha9ejan.jpg

The black box is far top right in the drivers foot well.

So a few more questions:

On googling key reminder I assume its the gadget that makes the noise when I turn the ignition off and don't remove the key prior to opening the door? If so and assuming the box of tricks and wiring is for remote central locking why would it need to be wired into the key reminder box and can i just remove the lot?

To answer my own question I just went out with my keys and the car still locks and opens as it should and yes the Key Reminder box does just that make a noise when you have the key in the ignition and a door open.

With just what I have is it possible if I don't remove the bits to have a key programmed or not that simple?

Last edited:
My import has the wiring but no boxes. I does have a TOAD immobiliser fitted though which is a proper peice of kit.

Andy

Just to finish this off for those in the future that find the same thing under their seat. Its an genuine yet aftermarket central locking system.

img0003otv.jpg
img0004onn.jpg

I guess I will just remove it but will ask our man at Toyota if he can source a remote and if its cheap enough will give programming it a go.

Back