Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

60 series running gear in a FJ40

maddog632

Country Flag
australia
Hi,
I have bought myself a fj40 but it has the petrol motor in it and it is seized.
I have lined up a 60 series with 2H motor. I am getting the complete car and was wondering if the diffs and suspension would fit.
Any help would be very appreciated.
Cheers

Last edited:
Engine will fit I think engine mounts have to be changed. Gearbox will fit although a five speed will need modification of the mounts. The axles are wider but can be made to fit by moving the spring perches.If you swap the axles you need to use the steering mechanism of the 60 which will give you pwr steering. None of the suspension will fit. Converting to diesel will involve changes to the fuel pipe system and I dont know about OZ models but all UK 60's are 24 volt electrics and the gas engines are 12volt so that might present a challenge too.

This all can be done, the truck below had all the above including a spring over conversion. It worked well but was a fair amount of work
5c_1_b.jpg

Andy

Just to add a bit, the diffs may or may not be the same ratio, UK manual diffs are 3.7 and I think gas 40 diffs are the same ratio, I dont know about OZ options but you can tell the axle ratios from the chassis plate. You can swap swivel housings and stub axles to give you front disc brakes.

Andy

My 40 has a 2H and 5 speed box and power steering. I've got 60 series leafs on the back and a coil front end (modded P38 RR).
If you need any detail photos to help your build let me know.
Regards

fj40 suspention upgrade

My 40 has a 2H and 5 speed box and power steering. I've got 60 series leafs on the back and a coil front end (modded P38 RR).
If you need any detail photos to help your build let me know.
Regards

I would like some info on how you did the front coils and rear leafs would like to do this update

hi could you give me some info on your spring front end and 60 rear leafs

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Ian,

Apologies for the delay but we were away in England until recently and am off again tomorrow until July 10th. I will have time then to take photos and write after then. I didn't personally do the conversion - a good friend did it but a photo says a thousand words.....

In the early part of this forum is an piece I did about the 'evolution of my 40' there's not many paics of the bits you want in there but you might find something while you wait for me to get my act together.

The 40 also has the 60 series power steering conversion so I'll also photograph all that for you.

Again apologies for the delay.

regards,

Maddog632 & Ian Lynch

I've taken a load of photos of the engine and suspension but am frustrated by trying to upload them here. I need time, which I don't have, to figure it out. So just pm me with your email address and I'll send them to you.

Regards,

Back