Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Member!

jlpurcell

Country Flag
united_states
I am a classic Datsun 240Z owner and former Owner Racer of Datsun IMSA Car #29. I recently purchased a 1 owner 1972 FJ40 (rust free) and I am in the process of restoration. All of the body pieces are out for soda blast. I am sure that I will be asking lots of questions, if this is anything like our Classic Z Car site, I am sure I will find a wealth of knowledge here. I am currently trying to decide if I should do a V8 conversion.
Jerry Purcell

Welcome Jerry

Get your post count into double figures & start posting some pictures man!!! Datsuns included too :icon-cool:

Photo of my 1972 FJ40 prior to dis-assembly.

DSCN1567.JPG

It was a one owner from the desert (Sonora county, CA (United States)) It now lives in Richmond, Indiana (United States)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome love the 40's I have a fj40 and 45 pick up
With diesel 6 CYL in them .tonytoyota .

Hi and welcome love the 40's I have a fj40 and 45 pick up
With diesel 6 CYL in them .tonytoyota .
Tony, Thanks for the welcome. I love my FJ40 just hope I can make it into what I want. I want it for my lake house to put in the boat and to take on camping trips in the Smoky's and out west to the Grand Canyon area. I was originally looking for a Datsun patrol but there are few survivors in the US.
jlp

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have fully dis-assembled the FJ40. Took lots of photos as I went also bagged and tagged all nuts and bolts etc... Anyone here converted to a GM V8?
Thanks JLP

The original windshield had a rock chip in it, I had a local glass shop make a new one. I picked it up Friday. A local custom car builder told me to put sealer around the entire edge. He said that it would help prevent the glass from delamination.

I am obviously posting randomly to get the suggested 10 or more post in. What vendor do most owners source for restoration parts?
Thanks Jerry Purcell

Photo from the late 70's in my 1970 Datsun 240Z. It was vin# 00029. Still in good condition now in the good hands of Les Cannaday of Classic Datsun Motorsports.
IRP_1.JPG

Blimey Jerry, the 40 looks like new from here already :wtf:

your first Datsun pic hasn't worked for me but the one with the porker has :icon-cool:

We don't get many 40 projects on here but do like seeing them; being as you are in the US, you should also think about looking on IH8MUD where you will find all the inspiration you need for your build.

That said, stay around here too!!!

Cheers

5.7 V8's are common practice but the 6.2 diesels are fitted. They go well with the 2H diesel but not like a V8.

Andy

My 1972 Datsun 240Z

Z9.jpgZ3.jpgZ6.jpgZ4.jpgZ7.jpg
I'll try this again. Here are some re-sized photos of my 1972 Datsun 240Z. I am the original owner, the car has 62K original miles and is equipped just as it was on the showroom floor with Datsun Comp. Accessorizes of the day: color matched front spook and sport mirrors, side stripes and American Racing "Libre" wheels. 110 Persimmon red with white interior. It recently underwent a 6 year rotisserie restoration.

Blimey Jerry, the 40 looks like new from here already :wtf:

your first Datsun pic hasn't worked for me but the one with the porker has :icon-cool:

We don't get many 40 projects on here but do like seeing them; being as you are in the US, you should also think about looking on IH8MUD where you will find all the inspiration you need for your build.

That said, stay around here too!!!

Cheers
Gav, I kicked the porkers butt. My mentor of the day Logan Blackburn told me that I could not come back to the pits if I let a 911 beat me. I was allowed back in the pits at the end of the day!

very nice, both of them. if you go the route of a small block you might want to look at a light duty Toyota Dyna truck 5 speed gearbox adapted onto the transfer box to handle the torque.

Gav, I kicked the porkers butt. My mentor of the day Logan Blackburn told me that I could not come back to the pits if I let a 911 beat me. I was allowed back in the pits at the end of the day!
:lol: Very cool :icon-cool:

Love the 240 - will the 40 be getting the same treatment then Jerry??

:lol: Very cool :icon-cool:

Love the 240 - will the 40 be getting the same treatment then Jerry??

The 40 will be as well done but in a way to make it usable. It is completely apart being soda blasted as we speak. I will wire brush and have ever nut and bolt zinc plated etc... The difference is that I will not be going for a gold medallion show vehicle. It will be purpose built. We plan to color match (to original blue) rhino liner on the bottom and inside the vehicle. I may or may not do the V8 conversion not decided as of yet. I am going back to stock wheels, hub caps etc... Know of anyone needing a set of wagon wheels and new BF Goodrich's????? I will post photos as we progress. I truly believe that I am starting with as nice as an example as possible. Thanks for the inquiry and compliment.
JLP

Two beautiful cars there Jerry :thumbup:

40s are just so cute :icon-biggrin: Love 'em !

hi there

mate both very nice but please stick with the original engine

Giles

Back