Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Paul's 80 photo thread

pberrey

Country Flag
uk
This is a build thread that is not a build thread. I have no end point in mind but I intend to post occasional photos of maintenance, modifications and upgrades throughput my ownership.

As I bought it with Ironman 3" lift, 285/75 Maxxis Bighorns and a snorkel:
IMG_0556.JPG

The roof rack will take lights and the CB aerial but its main purpose at this stage will be to protect the roof whilst laning.
IMG_0602.JPG

I couldn't open the tailgate (MOT failure and a pain) and in the end I had to break off a light cluster to get to the bolts that hold the lock onto the tailgate itself:
1112496095.JPG

Whilst then lead to the removal of the rear seats, the soggy carpet and the plastic coverings in the boot.
IMG_0582.JPG

New 285 BFG km2 muds and an Old Man Emu steering damper were required for the MOT due to off road damage.

343193523.JPG

A bit of PM to replace the thermostat (fine but the gasket didnt fit so I wasn't going to put it back in) and investigate the rattle from the alternator. I thought it would be the bearing but that was fine. A radiator and block flush and new red coolant installed.

12333886.JPG

2098472399.JPG

great pics so far ... :icon-cool:

will be an interesting thread to follow ...

Thanks Red.

Another update on the evolution of my boot space. Here I am making a template to replace the standard plastic moldings with 2mm chequer plate.

77493305.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Beautiful looking truck. That red and charcoal really does light my fire. Keep going. We like it. We like it a lot.

Nice looking truck. have you got any more pics of it, from the sides or back? Just my truck is exactly the same colour - red over grey, but looks like you've got rear tints, as well as a black painted front and rear bumper. I was thinking of painting my bumpers matt black also, so would be good to get a better idea of how it looks. Are you bumper chrome's painted black also?

Good looking truck there, very nice indeed. Looking forward to witnessing the descent down the slippery slope to the ultimate machine :lol:

Nice looking truck. have you got any more pics of it, from the sides or back? Just my truck is exactly the same colour - red over grey, but looks like you've got rear tints, as well as a black painted front and rear bumper. I was thinking of painting my bumpers matt black also, so would be good to get a better idea of how it looks. Are you bumper chrome's painted black also?

This is the closest photo i have to either the back or the side. The windows are tinted but its not a great job tbh. The grill has been painted black but Im not sure about the bumpers. There is some serious damage to the lacquer on the nearside but I'm hoping i can get it off with a combination of time, jet washing and razor blades so i can re-lacquer it without disturbing the paint.

You can just see my rear LED worklight in this photo. It wasn't wired up but it looked cool and that is what counts ;-)
383660848.JPG

Paul

Nice 80. :clap:

Enjoying the thread so far. :thumbup:

This is the closest photo i have to either the back or the side. The windows are tinted but its not a great job tbh. The grill has been painted black but Im not sure about the bumpers. There is some serious damage to the lacquer on the nearside but I'm hoping i can get it off with a combination of time, jet washing and razor blades so i can re-lacquer it without disturbing the paint.

You can just see my rear LED worklight in this photo. It wasn't wired up but it looked cool and that is what counts ;-)
383660848.JPG

Paul

Truck looks nice, I do like the 80s
also if you re lacquer the base coat it will not have any adhesion. The once base coat is sprayed you have only got a certain time in which to lacquer it as it won't stay on. Just thought i would tell you
good thread though

Smart looking 80 you got there Paul, same roof rack as mine by the looks of it, Direct 4x4 was it?
Ian

Yes, its a Direct 4x4 rack and I'm quite impressed how quiet it is. With the sunroof cover closed I can't hear any wind noise from it.

Nice looking truck mate. I think the 80 does look good in red:icon-cool:.

Cheers, Mark

Finished phase one of my boot modifications:
1757912561.JPG

Last edited:
I can't say that I like it. I think it is because it doesn't look right with black chequer, grey carpet and red wheel arches. I'm thinking I will remove the temporary carpet and use a Upol Raptor to do a spray on boot liner for the floor, wheel arches and the checker plate. That will be tough, can be hosed out and allegedly has some sound deadening properties.

124668666.JPG

Last edited:
Back