Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

"Pimp" The Overland/Weekend Camper Build

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
As some of you may be aware I have just finished (well, ish) My off road, extreme, Solid axle conversion 90 series. Having taken that truck a little too far for sensible road use I figure its time for another cruiser/project.

This one will probably not move along quite as quickly as my SAS as I want it to be right. However the truck I have picked isn't the easiest starting place. I picked this up yesterday.

20140625_182309_zps4nx98tst.jpg

Now, for a little info on it. It is a KZJ95 import. Long wheelbase Prado, imported in 2003. I am not sure what year it actually is so if anyone that can help me find out that would be great. It's a TZ which as far as I can see is the base spec import and if that's the case, boy did they get more goodies than we did.

20140625_182315_zpsfkro5xfb.jpg

20140625_182344_zpsbkqxbkuu.jpg

20140625_182336_zpszliz4tbc.jpg

Now she is in a bit of a sorry state at the moment I got it from a guy who bought it for the rear axle but on finding it didn't fit decided to try and recover some of his cash.

So here are the bad points.

1. The engine, 1KZ-TE with inter-cooler is stuffed, Head has gone and has been removed.
  2. Judging by the Tax discs it has not been taxed since 2010 so been off the road for 4 years.
  3. The trim on the front passenger wing is broken
  4. The interior was covered in Dog hairs so was not sure what I would find underneath.
  5. Spare carrier has a stud broken
  6. No rear locker (import)

And the Good.

Well its pretty good really. It has done less than 117Km. (Ok the head is stuffed but it shows in other places.) and appears to have been dry stored for the past 4 years meaning it has only had about 7 years of our abusive climate. Underneath is mint, 100% spot on. The chassis in every place I have wiped the dust from so far has been solid and covered in the OE Black paint. same goes for wish bones chassis mounts, control arms. The body work has some minor pin striping down the passenger side and a ding in the rear pillar.

20140625_182351_zpskxk6z01k.jpg

And that's about the worst of it.

So, I hear you ask, What's the plan.

Well the idea is to have this as my going away truck. Something that will pull the big girl and give me somewhere to eat, sleep and relax. Me being me I think I still want the "look" so HD winch Bumper(s), sliders, moderate lift, good size AT's but probably only 31's. Full rear kitchen. Swivel seats, Roof rack, OMG the list really does go on and on and on. But first, Before anything else a 40MM BODY LIFT. I have now decided that this mod is 100% essential for maintenance. It makes so many things so much easier.

I suppose I should have thrown in there somewhere fit a new engine. This is rather a bone of contention at the moment. I am not entirely sure what to do about it really. I am a little concerned about just replacing the head due to how long it may have been stood in pieces for. So I am thinking of dropping the engine out of Dirty Gal in but then I think how nice it would be to drop a V8 in the overlander as well. argh decisions decisions decisions.

Had a bit of a go with the truck today.

I built the axle back up to get it off the trailer and had a tinker on the front and it looks a little more respectable now.

20140626_150412_zpsfmapqko8.jpg

Like I said the interior is a little grotty

20140626_150428_zpskjesv9fj.jpg

20140626_150431_zps9uqb44jt.jpg

But pulling the seats out and giving it a good hoover has made a difference. There is just a few rust stains where nuts and bolts have been left inside but I have some treatment stuff for that (if not wd40 helps).

20140626_175229_zpsmrygxfbw.jpg

20140626_175233_zpspi0ewqot.jpg

Not a fan of fake wood in cars so this will have to go. not decided as yet what to change it to but it has to go. Also not seen this switch set up before. Is it just that Dirty Gal has no air con???

20140626_175237_zps3kuyfew2.jpg

20140626_183317_zps1mvinet7.jpg

Think this cubby is excellent.

20140626_183321_zpstzan8end.jpg

Also I found it strange to have a sunroof aswell as air con, I always thought it was one or the other???

Well Chris, if you're prepared for som elbow grease, then this looks like a suitable starter-pack! I guess the price was right as it will need some cash, even at your own "free labour" rate :lol:

Good god luck, I'll say, looking forward to an interesting build thread. To you have a time-frame in mind?

Well Chris, if you're prepared for som elbow grease, then this looks like a suitable starter-pack! I guess the price was right as it will need some cash, even at your own "free labour" rate :lol:

Good god luck, I'll say, looking forward to an interesting build thread. To you have a time-frame in mind?

Thanks for the vote of confidence Clive. As I have said in other threads Elbow grease and time are something I have, Funds well thats a different story (and the price was very right). My time frames for projects usually revolve around a certain 2 events so I guess the time for this build depends on Tony S. Whatever happens the engine question is the big one to answer and if I drop Dirty Gals in there then it won't be until after the Robin hoods bay weekender.

Vinyl wrap the dash fascia and put it back on .

Vinyl wrap the dash fascia and put it back on .

Thats the plan Shayne just not sure what to wrap it in, colour, carbon fibre (erm no) camo, comic book? too many choices. any chance you can pop a link up for your leather treatment thread. Can't seem to find it on the searches.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rear cool/Rear Heat buttons.... I only have the Rear heat!! I like that one! I guess the AC is plumbed in the back as well?

However looks like you haven't got the heated side mirrors button, unless it's placed elsewhere?

Look forward to the Build, I'm sure it won't take you long judging by what you did in one day

lol tablets worked wonders though overnight i put on 7 stone and grew 18 inches above and below :icon-wink::lol:

Look like a solid base for a project Chris, having said that I would cry if mine ever looked like that!!

I'd guess your truck is about a '97 judging by the interior. But I'd imagine the chassis number could be checked online, or at worst by mr T.

Look like a solid base for a project Chris, having said that I would cry if mine ever looked like that!

I was thinking just the same thing, it's a disgrace what some people do with cars... Still, without them, a lot of worthwhile projects wouldn't even start.

go for it Chris :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it mate. :thumbup:

Entering the chassis number on Toyodiy should bring up the year of manufacture. :icon-wink:

Looks like an interesting project you've got yourself.

You know the V8 makes sense, nothing like a rumble under the bonnet and silky smooth towing.

Rear cool/Rear Heat buttons.... I only have the Rear heat!! I like that one! I guess the AC is plumbed in the back as well?

However looks like you haven't got the heated side mirrors button, unless it's placed elsewhere?

Look forward to the Build, I'm sure it won't take you long judging by what you did in one day

Which side is your jack cubby on in the back? I seem to remember reading somewhere that some prado's have a second compressor in one of the back pillars??? might be making it up though. I will have to have an investigate. It would be great to convert it for use as on board air.

Have been thinking about bumpers over the last couple of days. Had a lot of work stuff to get on with so not had much time to continue with the project. Got an order in for 10 of these.

20140627_164308_zpswtvozwja.jpg

20140627_164222_zpsh8eapevc.jpg

Can't believe I am stuck fabbing Freelander Winch mounts but at least I have a helper

20140628_203152_zpsbjm554hw.jpg

So back to the important stuff.

Bumpers for the project truck. I really like these but am a little fearful that the front one looks more "Off Roady" than "Overlandy" Opinions would be helpful guys as well as any pics of anything out there that you may think will fit the bill.

Back First

prodphoto_normalphoto_212%201_zpshq8a5f4i.jpg

prodphoto_normalphoto_212_zpsnjhsi1uu.jpg

prodphoto_normalphoto_213_zpsvuk3ux7c.jpg

And the front

prodphoto_normalphoto_205_zpsipbrxtdi.jpg

prodphoto_normalphoto_207_zpsdugbkltu.jpg

prodphoto_normalphoto_206_zps90yzbqxs.jpg

prodphoto_normalphoto_208_zps7nhe3oxh.jpg

Chris,

The units fitted to my - now Bodhi's - Colorado were originally designed for overlanding. Food for thought anyway.

Great project. Look forward to the build.

Back