Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Manual engine immobilising switch

SteveS

I have a 2003 LC100 auto and want to fit an additional engine immobilising switch hidden somewhere known only to me. What would be a good thing to use/falsify as a signal. For example - open circuit power to the fuel pump or open circuit the auto park switch so the engine won't start?

Any thoughts?

We used the dash switch for the rear passenger courtesy lamp in my mothers 123 series merc to power a solinoid shut off valve in the fuel line so when the ignition was on you heard the fuel pump start but engine would not run, fuel injected petrol engine, and on the VW kombi we used the same item in the fuel line on a hidden switch to prevent fuel getting to the engine.

Something like this,

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/hoses/photo/12912.jpg

Found here

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/hoses/fuelpumps.php

Is that something like what you are looking for?

Or you could just fit a switch in line to the power supply to the ignition or fuel pump.

Last edited:
No need to block the fuel line, just cut the circuit to the fuel shut off relay. That's how your engine stops when you turn off the key basically. Some alarm systems do that.

You should have a spill control valve on the pump, regardless of it being a mechanical or electrical pump, and these will run off a Relay as Chris has mentioned above. Just track where the Relay is and bridge a connection there to wherever you want the switch to be.

Steve

The chaps over on the South African landcruiser forum discussed this exact topic at length and came to the conclusion that a fuel cut off solenoid was the best solution with a simple switch hidden somewhere. They even did a group buy and i have one of the solenoids somewhere in my man cave as i was going to fit it to the 100 as a precautionary measure. I can did out the details if you want and am happy to send over some pictures of it but since it was not fitted i plan on using it on the 80 at some point.

The trick is to get the right size solenoid not to restrict flow.

There where not expensive about £35 from memory.

Shout if you want some details.

It seems to have gone up in price

http://www.furneauxriddall.com/cgi-...&PN=Fuel-Cut-Off-Valve-12V-012912.html#SID=77

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I fitted a cut out to the ignition via rely, or at least, the garage did!!

It's easy to defeat a cut off switch by jumping direct to the pump, it's right by the battery and needs one wire. Fuel solenoid is pretty impossible to overcome as they won't know where it is and most thieves don't go around with plumbing kits but they do wires.

" Not suitable for vehicles with a recirculating (or leak off) system". That's us isn't it.

No need to block the fuel line, just cut the circuit to the fuel shut off relay. That's how your engine stops when you turn off the key basically. Some alarm systems do that.

I'm assuming that's what the OE immobiliser does, at least on the 80. When I had a new key cut, before having it programmed into the ECU, it would turn on the ign and crank the engine but it wouldn't start.

If you want your car to be totally theft proof then encase it in concrete and drop it in the sea. This about putting obstacles in some scumbag's way. Hopefully your alarm is screaming, they now have the bonnet up and are trying to connect wires in the dark in a public place.

Put a fuel cut off on, an alarm, steering lock, bad ass dog, hasp and staple on the bonnet (that's doable) etc. OK so they get in, can't start it so they just steal all your stuff instead. Anything you can do is a plus I think. I have put a padlock on my wheel carrier so you can't get the tailgate up and today fitted a full cargo barrier. Not they'll have to smash the windows and lean in. But they won't get the drawers open.

It's a shame we have to do this, but whilst ever there is poverty, greed and drug use, we'll have to take precautions.

My immobilizer doesn't link to the solenoid, but I have no idea what it does to link to. It won't turn over and if you keep trying it sets the alarm off.

Theft and poverty have no relation. It is greed, coupled with laziness and too much consumerism that causes theft. Hence first world countries have the highest crime levels.

Doesn't matter what you do, if they want it that bad, they'll winch it onto a truck. But if yours is harder to steal than the one next to you, well they will take the easy one.

Where you park is more important though IMHO

"They" stole my friends Subaru from Heathrow airport whilst he was on holiday. No doubt what they did as it's all on camera! They drove in with a van and trailer after having bought a ticket. Then their gorilla bent up the bonnet and pulled the wires out of the siren before it went off. Then they pulled it onto the trailer and drove off with a queue of cars behind. Never stopped, questioned nor caught.

Back