Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VSC/TRAC & VSC OFF warning. Bad Fridays

Dark Dude

A week ago (Friday) my truck stopped dead coming out of Tottenham Hale Retail Park. 15 seconds after the restart, the engine cut out again and I came within a fanny hair of t boning some poor lady as I lost my power steering. Eventually I made it to the BP filling stations where I called out Road Recovery service. Within the hour the mechanic was on the case and said it was either a fault with the fuel pump or the LPG system and the decision was taken to lowjack my truck all the way to Medway LPG for my man Neil to get on the case. After a long weekend without my wheels, I get a message from Neil, saying that he couldn't find a problem and apart from two warning lights coming on in the dash, the car drove perfectly. The warning lights were the VSC/TRAC & VSC OFF. I get the car back and drive it for a week, no problems except for those dreaded warning lights.

Then last Friday I took my car into Mr T for them to plug in their diagnostics into my truck to see what the hell was going to and after a lot of faffing around and scratching of heads I was represented with this and I quote:
X 2 yeollow warning lights on dash (VSC/TRC & VSC OFF) on and staying on. IT1 diagnostics test read fault codes. Found heater circuit bank 2 sensor 1, bank 2 sensor 2. No other codes present at time of check. Cleared codes. Fault codes B251 & B252 and Blink Code 28.

What I can't understand is that the fault codes that were found have nothing to do with the warning lights that came up on the dash? Very weird and very expensive if I'm forced to change the sensors. 647 greenbacks to be precise.

I'm NOT happy. Any and all advice much appreciated..

What I tend to here from customers who ring me John is if Toyota change something you have to pay for it even if it doesn't solve the issue. Fingers crossed whatever you spend does sort the truck out.

Cant give any comment regarding your issue though sorry.

Karl

I can confirm your customers experiences with Mr T. I paid £70 and it didn't solve the problem. Now Mr T wants me to fork out £645 to change TWO sensors. I say, no bloody way........All I want to know is where I can source these sensors. Oh Jon, where art thee? Help!

Faulty sensors mean the ECU won't run more advanced programs like VSC and TRC which can require fine control of engine power output so it puts the lights on. I've used www.sparkplugs.co.uk for O2 sensors and not had any problems with them but ymmv.

Yo Jon

Oh I could cry! Just remembering how impressed Sharon was when you introduced her to Oily for the first time. Could this ECU problem also be a pointer to why the car originally broke down? I've sent you a PM, Jon and will get on the case with Sparkplugs right away. BTW what does ymmv mean? Just had a quick look on the website and I can't reconcile the info that I have (bank 2 sensor 1, bank 2 sensor 2) with the information that they require (Front-left or right) (Rear-left or right). Please advice......

JC

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dooble

Thanks for the heads up!.....Your mileage may vary! Compared to Jon's, I reckon YES!

Very likely the O2 sensor fault is related to why it broke down. There are 2 O2 sensors on each side of the exhaust, one before the cats (sensor 1) and one after the cats (sensor 2). I can't remember which side is bank 1, if I have time in the morning I'll see if I can find that in the FSM. Seems a little bit strange that both sensors on one bank would fail at the same time ...

This morning has been a battle trying to obtain the 10 digit product code from Toyota/Jemca, Enfield. I ended up having to quote the Consumer Protection Act of 1987 before they rolled over and gave me the goodies. Thanks to the nice lady (Rebecca) at Sparkplugs.co.uk, the process of squeezing Mr T for the info was almost painless but not quite. Anyway I've been left with a bit of a problem. The part number that Mr T has given me for one of the sensors is a direct fit, while the other sensor on the same bank is a universal. This strikes me as just a little bit strange......

I suspect it was just easier to give you the information so you'd stop standing there quoting irrelevant acts of consumer law at them :lol:

What mystifies me is that bullshit baffles brains but Jemca have not got any, certainly not at Croydon. Their performance in servicing my 100 before I bought it should have been more embarrassing to them than Brazils defeat at the hands of Germany.

1. Air filter housing full of pine needles.
2. Rear air con pipes corroded through and blanked off.
3. Prop shafts not greased.
4. Front wheels seized onto hammer damaged front hubs...yes those cones defeated them.
5. Large hole in spare tyre......totally flat.
6. Three different brands of tyre fitted in defiance of owners handbook specs.

And I had a certificate saying my car has been prepared to the highest possible standard.

TOTAL INSULT

Well this morning me and Dave (of Herts Tyre and Exhaust) finally got round to retro fitting the new O2 sensors and apart from a few rusty nuts, it all went swimmingly well. Alas the two VSC warning light refused to go out so I'm left wondering, if the lights are ever going to go out? Anyway, I'm going to put in an order for the other two O2 sensors and pray that there isn't another fault in the system. Anything is better than being rinsed £650 plus vat by Mr T for essentially supplying and fitting those self same sensors. Thank you Rebecca from Sparkplugs and thank you JW for pointing me in the right direction.

Mine resently came back on again. And I plugged it into my tech stream and it was one of the wheels sensors that needed re calibrating. Which was done via the tech stream

What is it with Toyota dealerships refusing to divulge their product codes to the general public in total disregard of the LAW? First it was Jemca, North London and this morning it's Charles Clark Toyota in Wolverhampton. These people are really beginning to piss me off.....

Does anyone know where I can get the products code for the c02 sensors Bank 1 sensor 1 & Bank 1 sensor 2 for a 4.7 petrol Amazon, without me having to crawl to Toyota?

Does anyone know where I can get the products code for the c02 sensors Bank 1 sensor 1 & Bank 1 sensor 2 for a 4.7 petrol Amazon, without me having to crawl to Toyota?

I'm not fully sure but these look like a good starting point

89465-50060FRONT
89465-80011REAR

Thanks Ian, you're a star. I had a funny feeling that the product codes were going to be the same but needed to double check. You can never be too careful these days.......

Back