Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie, and my cruiser

GarethsSixty

Country Flag
australia
Hi Guys, Just registered here, also registered on mud, thought id join up and have a look at everyone elses rides. Looks like i need 15 posts before i can link my pics :cry:
I own a HJ60, which i rebuilt the motor in, just a 2H, which im in the process of turbocharging atm

anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all and checking out some more cruisers

Gareth

Some pictures....everyone likes pictures:thumbup:

DSC00724.jpgDSC00728.jpgDSC00311.jpgDSC00310.jpgDSC00368.jpgDSC00377.jpg

welding up a turbo adapter
2014-07-18 16.56.07.jpg2014-07-18 16.53.56.jpg2014-07-18 17.25.54.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome along Gareth - nice to see another 60 on the forum :icon-cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:doh:Sorry Gareth, Ignore my post on your intro thread. :doh:

Great pics...

Real nice! Looks like a decent rebuilt on that engine!

So jealous when looking at pics from where you life..... The only part off off-roading where I life will be the side of the road :icon-mad
Good to have new 60 minded members!

Great looking truck

Welcome to a brother 60 owner, truck looks great but the thing I'm really jealous of is the workshop because it's just what I need.

Mike.

Hell yeah I love the fj60s. I just bought one from Jim at midwestclassic. Thats all they do and they know their business. If any ones interested check oot his website, tlcfj60.com. He's in Wichita KS, which is great I think because he's right in the middle of the US. Anyway, glad I found this site. See ya on the trails.
Oh I need to figure out how to post pics so I can show off the cruiser i bought.

Been kinda busy lately, so haven't got a heap done as far as getting this turbo on, Made a wastegate actuator bracket for the turbo, and knurled the adjustment rod on the lathe...just because lol

IMG_5083_zps1268c907.jpg

IMG_5084_zpsae318f82.jpg

and also devised a plan for getting more diesel in when it comes on boost.
I started with a Kinugawa waste-gate actuator, as these are billet aluminium and easier to adapt to my needs, can be pulled apart and gives me the option of changing the spring.
My first attempt was with a standard style pressed steel wastegate actuator, but once i cut it open i had no way of sealing it and reassembling.

waste-gate actuators have a rod that push's out when positive pressure is applied to the the diapram, the exact opposite of what we want, so i had to do some mods to make it all work, fortunately I have access to a metal lathe at work, which kinda makes this doable. I havent done much lathe work, so this was a good project to get me a little experience

what I started with

wastegate_zps35cd756b.jpg

I machined up a boss from mild steel, this will eventually have a thread cut on it so it screws in place of the 2H fuel screw

IMG_5077_zpsf3ff54d5.jpg

heres the diapram and piston, i had to reverse how it works, so i punched a hole through the silicon diapram and machined a new rod with a M6 thread, this pokes through a washer on the other side to seal it against the silicon diapram

IMG_5082_zps7dadb46c.jpg

IMG_5081_zps339f31ca.jpg

The rod was machined up 2 include 2 o'rings, because im applying pressure to that side of the diapram it needs to be sealed

IMG_5080_zpsf76f665b.jpg

then i drilled 2 holes for M6 studs and a hole through the centre for the rod

IMG_5078_zpse7695758.jpg

I machined up a back plate so that i can use a M8 adjuster bolt, which will eventually allow me to increase the spring tension....just need to machine up a plate to go inside against the back side of the spring

IMG_5079_zpsfc642511.jpg

and here it is just about finished

IMG_5075_zps3ca08b20.jpg

IMG_5073_zps6ce395d4.jpg

IMG_5076_zps2134a8fc.jpg

Still need to cut the thread on the shaft, does anyone know what thread the fuel screw is on the 2H? I havent pulled it out yet, at a guess it looks like a M12 1.5mm??

Been working on my boost compensator
I machined up a spring plate to go inside the housing and made a thumb screw to adjust the spring preload. I also cut the spring and modified it, it now starts to open at 3psi and the screw will increase the opening pressure, will see how it goes, I may need to get another weaker spring. for testing ive been using a syringe and a pressure gauge.Now i Just need to bore a hole through the middle of the thumb screw so i can tap a 6mm thread for a long set screw, which will be the adjustment for the maximum fuel, Basically just a stopper for the piston inside. Still need to cut a thread for the shaft to mount on the injector pump, but i need to buy a Die, I cant work out the thread cutting gearing on the Hercus Lathe, just dont have the experience yet.

IMG_5087_zpsefc1b5db.jpg

IMG_5088_zps899f5e64.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. :thumbup:

Nice 60 and some great work. :clap:

Hell yeah I love the fj60s. I just bought one from Jim at midwestclassic. Thats all they do and they know their business. If any ones interested check oot his website, tlcfj60.com. He's in Wichita KS, which is great I think because he's right in the middle of the US. Anyway, glad I found this site. See ya on the trails.
Oh I need to figure out how to post pics so I can show off the cruiser i bought.

you better start a thread and post up some pics!

Back