Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

60 oil pressure

Craigkelly

Country Flag
australia
Does anyone have an idea what will cause the oil pressure on my h2 to be good when I start up but then fall and continue to fall even when the revs are up ? The motor sounds good and power seems fine.

just sounds like its getting old and tired to me, bearing clearences are getting larger, when its cold the oil is much thicker, so you have better pressure..
It could also be a pressure releif valve stuck open, but usually with 2h's the get stuck closed, who knows, might be worth investigating, its located on the timing cover, drivers side, theres what looks like a bung there, once unscrewd theres a spring and cylindrical valve.
If you do happen to remove it have a drip tray underneath as oil piss's out. Also be preepared for the bung to fly, its spring loaded so be ready to catch it. the pressure releif valve will want to stay in the hole, i use a bit of dowel to stick in and remove. Have a look at the piston, its more than likely worn on one side, this allows the piston to cock over and jam...but like i said, im more leaning towards the fact its possibly done a few miles and the engine is getting tired. Id be inclined to put a proper pressure guage on first and actually see where the oil pressure is, if its staying above 40 to 50psi i probably wouldnt be concerned

heres what the valve and spring looks like,
I purchased an aftermarket longer version which is supposed to eliminate the sticking problem. 2H motors are reknown for a sticking valve, the pressure can get so high the oil filter can blow apart...

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 135
Thanks, I will try the relief valve, done one once before, blew the seal on the filter and near emptied the sump on the driveway, so if it is stuck open you think it might cause it to have a rapid drop? I don't think it is wear as the problem seemed to develop over night. I get a pressure test first.

Are you now running synthetic oil, when syn oil gets hot it gets thinner and 2H engines do not like thin oil. Replace the oil with good old fashion mineral oil 15w40 and it will be fine, same thing happen to my 2H a couple years back when I tried synthetic oil, swapped back to mineral and it still running fine now.

Just my 2 cents here,

Did you check the oil pressure with an external gauge? the dash gauge is known to give wrong readings when getting older and older.
My gauge is barely giving a reading at all, but an external gauge showed that the pressure was as good as new!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back