Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil pressure

dunk1

Country Flag
great_britain
Can anyone point me in the direction to getting the oil pressure figures for a 3.0 D4-D engine.

Cold start pressure and once its at normal operating temp.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Anyone help with this ?

I've searched the web and getting no where

I think I still have the FSM at home, will see if it is in there (and put the manual in the manual section)

Thanks for the reply Crispin

I've been in the service manual part and nothing comes up for me, my pc says page
not found.

I spotted the lubrication pdf 1998-2007 which has an oil pressure check and some figures
but what engine is that for

I'll have to double check but I think mine is 50-60psi on startup (cold idle) and falls to ~20psi after a good run on a warm day.
If I am doing heavy towing at speed it'll drop to ~10psi.
All figures are for engine at idle.

I'll have a look later and see if the above is correct.
An oil change (after 6,000mls) lifts the oil pressure by about 5psi for a while.

Well i'm not convinced i have an oil pressure problem now

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
could be the check valve on the oil filter isint seating properly, I've had this with other cars in the past. A new oil filter may fix the oil pressure light delay in going out on cold startup.

Local service manager told me in the past he's never seen an oil pump failure or engine damage as a result of a poor one on an LC, any oil feed problems revolve around blocked oil pickup (injector washer problem) and this is often compounded by lack of servicing.

Sometimes I think I have a slight metalic top end noise at 2,250 rpm on motorway while still getiong up to full temp but if I listen hard enough I'll hear anything I want (or dont want) to hear !!!

It had an oil and filter change very recently which has me concerned as i don't think a genuine Toyota filter was used

It has full service history all previously Toyota bar the last one done by my local village garage who i know very well and have never had an issue with in over 20 yrs

It's done just under 80,000 miles which checked out to be correct going by the service history and previous mot's

It had the re call done for the injector washer problem, i checked this before i bought it.

Last edited:
could still be a dud filter, no fault of the mechanic who fitted it.

I have every confidence in the mechanic, he is a good friend and the
garage owner and also a very good mechanic.

I shall just get a new filter from Toyota and get it changed and see what
happens

Last edited:
You can download the service manual here

I'm trying to work out why the normal location is not working.

You can download the service manual here

I'm trying to work out why the normal location is not working.

Thanks for that :thumbup:

I am collecting a filter from Toyota this morning and will be fitting it at lunchtime

Edit: Afraid that link doesn't work for me either

Last edited:
New filter from Toyota is fitted and topped the oil up so we'll see in the morning.

One question i have

Does this engine have hydraulic lifters or solid buckets ?

Well it would appear that the filter was to blame, i left the cruiser
parked up from around 19:00 hrs yesterday to 16:00 hrs today, i
flicked the key and the oil light was out very quickly

:thumbup: to cir287, i owe you a pint or two :)

Last edited:
All hail oem parts ;)

Very good if it is. Simple fix.

Was it a cheap copy you had or a "reputable" copy?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I don't know what filter was fitted and i'm somewhat surprised this could be the
problem but at the moment it appears to be the case

A genuine filter from Toyota is only £16 after discount so it's really not worth
fitting anything else.

Lesson learned for the future

I had just this problem on my 80 series a couple of years back. The first and last time I ever fitted a pattern oil filter. It was taking 2-3 times as long for the OP gauge (a separate, good quality capillary gauge, not the standard one in the binnacle) to register pressure on startup. I surmised that the check valve in the filter either wasn't working correctly or it didn't have one. With the filter mounting position on the 80 as it is the oil was obviously draining back into the sump.

Back