Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Insurance company logic....

wobbly

Garage
Ok, its been discussed here about my cyclist incident last year, basically cyclist comes out of cycle lane into side of my car, blames me.

I have been told by my broker (AF) that until its resolved my insurer views it as blameworthy on my part, and I lose 2 years ncb - I had max of 5, so I drop to 4 as the current year is the other 1.

Broker told me a few weeks back that my insurer - Aegis - allow one blameworthy accident before loading premium.

So, this year should be similar to last, but with only 4 years ncb instead of 5.

Once matter is resolved as non-blameworthy I get the extra excess back.

No real issue with it, if thats the system then so be it. I thought I had ncb protection, but it seems what I took out was 'excess protection', shame but again as I can claim extra payment back no real issue.

Here's where it becomes interesting.

Aegis actually arent so keen on me as I now have a blameworthy accident.......and have given a quote so ridiculously high it didnt make it into top 10 of AF's list !!

I have supplied Aegis claim dept with my in-car video which shows the cyclist to blame, and they have written back to me confirming that they hold the cyclist 100% to blame.

In order to defend the claim they need me to attend court as a witness.

Thats likely to be in more than a years time.

So, by the time the court case comes round, I will (hopefully!!) be back up to 5 years ncb.

To top it off, AF have switched me to an insurance company whose quote was actually lower than Aegis this year.....

So what incentive is there for me to help the insurance company out? Absolutely none whatsoever.

I will go through with it, purely because the cyclist is taking the pi$$ out of me, but I may lose interest and decide its not worth losing a days money to attend court.

I am going to put some thought in to my email to Aegis....

Pete

Bloody heck! With the video , why are they arsing about? Status Quo until court case

insurance co's are in a world of their own.......

Charge the insurance company for a day of your time....

Guilty until proven innocent, that's their motto :icon-rolleyes:

Not sure who the underwriter was when someone visiting a neighbor across the road somehow managed to drive into the back of Helen's parked car causing about 1800 quids worth of damage (mostly respray costs) but the broker was "MORE THAN" . Helen was told she must pay the repair bill herself and would be reimbursed later :wtf: she lost all no claims bonus after driving more than 30 years without a claim . Yesterday she received a letter from "CHURCHILL" the guilty parties insurer informing her the matter was settled more than 3 years after it happened .

Shayne

I'm guessing Helen has 3rd party insurance.

Thats a prime example of when the 'claims handling' sharks may actually be a blessing - they are pretty aggressive with the other party as regards adding things to their bills.

LC120 - the company I subcontract for will be doing that, they charge £550.00 a day for me (I dont get that much!), and the claimant has to pay that, so its on the list, travelling and other out of pocket stuff, soon have it up to a grand !

Had a walk down to the accident site again today, I hadnt spotted it was covered by 2 cctv cameras, will be asking the council for a copy of each, 3 cctv videos proving it wasnt me should be enough.....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nope fully comp with all the bells and whistles she's had the car since new and its her pride and joy , she had a renewel quote recently , i forget who shes with now but she did comment its dropped in price considerably , so i assume after she's paid for the repairs herself in higher premiums , and the guilty party has probably paid for them as well , Helen is now back where she was before the accident insurance wise . Its there to help us you know :laughing-rolling:

I dont want the cyclist getting the satisfaction of a payout, thats absolutely the only thing keeping me involved defending the claim.

But if the insurance company want rid of me, why should I bother? Premium hasnt increased, nothing to gain personally.

Will stick with it for the time being.

Pete

The problem as I see it from my years of paying premiums, is that insurance companies assume or contest liability at their own discretion, without taking proper consideration of the consequences. As a result, you can suffer the consequences of guilt, without trial or legal standing.

I had years of "blame" for an accident that never went to the court, and in hindsight, it was a mistake that I would not make again lightly.

Back