Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clicking from steering rack?

Bodhi

Country Flag
wales
Hi folks

I've just noticed that there is a clicking sound coming from the steering rack on my 90. You hear it when you turn the steering to the left from 12-7 o'clock position.
There doesn't seem to be any play in the steering just a mechanical click when you turn the steering wheel. Sounds like the pinion is slipping some teeth on the rack?

What do you think, is it lil to be a new rack and how hard a job is it to replace yourself?

Cheers

Richie

Hi folks

I've just noticed that there is a clicking sound coming from the steering rack on my 90. You hear it when you turn the steering to the left from 12-7 o'clock position. Richie

Is this when the truck is moving ??

If yes, I would:

Chock the rear wheels
Jack up both front wheels under the lower wishbones.
Start the engine.
With truck in neutral:
Turn the steering fully to left then to the right (or vice versa if you prefer :icon-wink:).

Is it still clicking ??

If yes:

Its coming from the steering rack/power steering pump.

If no:

Its probably a propshaft CV Joint starting to fail.

Just my tuppence-worth :?.

Bob.

Hi Bob I'll try that out this morning. I do get the clicking when dry turning the wheel as well as when turning on the move.

R

Hi Bob I'll try that out this morning. I do get the clicking when dry turning the wheel as well as when turning on the move. R

Ah, That sort of rules out the CV joints then.

I've not worked on the power steering rack so I'd be guessing. Someone who knows will be along shortly :thumbup:.

Bob.

Ah, That sort of rules out the CV joints then.

I've not worked on the power steering rack so I'd be guessing. Someone who knows will be along shortly :thumbup:.

Bob.

lol I hope they hurry up! I don't really want to take it to the garage as I want to learn how to do repairs on it myself, however I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and to have a bit more info before I go and buy a reconditioned rack from Roughtrax.

I understand the reluctance to take the truck to a garage, but often, depending on their charges and competence, they can save a fortune that may result from a wrong diagnosis. You could go all out and replace the steering rack at great expense, then find that it was the lower ball joints causing the click all the time. Just an example.

I hope someone can offer you better guidance, I don't know the 90 series very well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would like to know more about my steering rack , changing the bushes is on the to-do list but i can't help thinking the steering is somewhat vague , i wonder if the valve gets confused sometimes :icon-confused:

Unlikely to be of interest but just thought i'd mention the stabilizer bushes , when one of mine gave up the ghost the sound of metal on metal might be described as "clicking"

I have read somewhere on here that someone had a clicking when they dry turned the steering and that turned out to be the bushes, so may investigate that first.

I have read somewhere on here that someone had a clicking when they dry turned the steering and that turned out to be the bushes, so may investigate that first.

It sounds as though you need someone else to turn the steering while you lie underneath - not with the engine running though :icon-wink:.

You need to narrow down the options before laying a spanner on it :thumbup:.

Bob.

If you jack up the front and turn the wheel (engine in neutral) see if the noise is there.

If no noise, try again but with something ( or someone) pressing against tyre to simulate tyre friction.

No one to help - put a bit of string on steering and use it to pull it round.

Pete

I had a look the other day when the SWMBO'd was dry turning the steering with the engine off and I could hear the clicking and see the steering rack moving/jumping when it clicked so I'm thinking the bushes would cause the play?

I'll jack it up in the morning and see what's happening. I do have a set of bushes from Roughtrax at the ready :thumbup: so hope it's just that.

So spent most of the day replacing the steering rack bushes and it seems to have done the trick :thumbup:

Thought I would check the brakes as well as there has been a whistling sound coming from the truck. Fronts seem good but the backs look a little thin so I guess I've found my next job!!! lol

So spent most of the day replacing the steering rack bushes and it seems to have done the trick :thumbup:

The backs look a little thin so I guess I've found my next job!!! lol

Excellent :thumbup:, Good Job.

We have a saying in the IT Industry . . "There is no such thing as The Bug."

Just as with Toyotas "There is no such thing as 'The Last (final) Job'."

:lol:.

Bob.

Back