Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota red anti freeze

Rich Sims

Garage
Can anyone tell me what temperature the red antifreeze goes down to? Considering it's already pre-mixed. I need it good for about -70 which I normally get from vertically neat blue antifreeze I've used in the past.

My local Toyota can't tell me but are trying to find out. They say "Should be ok" but that's not an option.

They also say they've never supplied concentrate antifreeze but maybe able to get it.

Rich, at -70, I don't think I'd dare switch the engine off.

I often go to the top of Norway over Christmas (to save buying presents) and often see -50 out of the wind and the locals all say you need to go to -70.

never had a problem starting yet in the morning. :icon-biggrin: But I do have 3 internal batteries. That seams to be the only weak point.

Just been told that the pre mix is good for -35c

order anti freeze concentrate from Toyota for £22 for 5 litres

I often go to the top of Norway over Christmas (to save buying presents) and often see -50 out of the wind and the locals all say you need to go to -70.

never had a problem starting yet in the morning. :icon-biggrin: But I do have 3 internal batteries. That seams to be the only weak point.

Out of curiosity what tyres do you run?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rich, I didn't mean cranking in the morning. I meant to stop it freezing! In places like Siberia, they leave their engines running all night.

THe fuel returing to the tank via the spill valve also stops the tank from freezing too.

What about a block heater?

and is the pink stuff a lower freezing point. i think id be concerned about me freezing too!

-70C is damned cold.

I experienced -26C in the UK sometime around 1982 or '83 when the trucks were blocking the M6 with gelling diesel, and we had quite a lot of snow, there was 2-3m in Shifnall where I was working at the time.

I've seen -34C here, and ran neat antifreeze which was rated down to -40C without dilution.

I don't know how to get stuff down to -70C, maybe buy something local when you get there. They must be used to it! :think:

Chris, fuel freezing in Serbia is more to do with cheap fuel, fuel in Norway is the most expensive in Europe I think because of all the additives to stop it freezing. My yoty has a fuel heater and water heated manifold.

Grantw. I'm running cooper st maxx tyres

adrianr. We did buy little fan heaters which are sold in all the garages up there which the locals use to pre-heat the interiors as most places have power points outside with timers on for you to set to pre heat your car. But we put them in the engine bay and if power available kept them on all night.

Where in Norway are you going?
Antifreeze for -35 C is normally good enough. There are parts far inland in Finnmark where it can get colder, but colder than -40 is not every year, even there.

If you go with a 70% antifreeze, you will be good for any inhabited place on this planet.

Windchill does not come in to play; that's only for the cooling factor of a heated body; so -70 C is out of the question. The record in Norway is just below -50 C, and that's more than 100 years ago.

When on the move, a diesel heater (Webasto, Ebersprecher) can be better than a block heater which requires electricity. Or do as they do in the coldest areas: Make a bonfire under the engine before starting.

I've been to nordkapp a few times now generally over Christmas but wasn't the coldest up there, I was somewhere inland on the way up it got its coldest.

The first time I went up my batteries where in the engine bay and we all had to put our stoves under the engine bay to warm everything up but since I put my batteries inside it hasn't been a problem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 196
Like everyone up there in the winter we didn't turn our cars off whilst refuelling just for the fact of the heaters going cold so quickly and I had my little boy and wife with me.

Can anyone advise on the dilution ration of the red coolant. I need to get some but i cant find out how much a 1L bottle of red concentrate will make.

Thanks

Warren, just looked at label on 1 litre bottle of gen. Toyota long life concentrated red coolant, and it states "Toyota recommends a 50/50 mix of coolant and water for all year round protection, do not exceed 70/30" - also states 50/50 ratio will give down to 37c freeze protection, hope this helps.

John

Forgot to mention, in case we have a cold spell 70/30 will give minus 64c protection, lol. missed out the minus in 37c above, but you will have sussed that, anyway

John

Thanks

So for an 11l coolant capacity you will need 5.5l of antifreeze at £8 per liter. Not cheap.

Yes Warren you are right there, although the price does reduce when bought by 5 litres. the last lot I bought came in slightly under £30, although the 1 litre I got for top up was around £9. some agricultural/tractor merchants or motor factors carry it cheaper than Mr T. (in the right bottle with all the right labels/markings, not something universal another manufacturer has labelled as "fits Toyota" Personally I use nothing else, it seems to have more substance to it, and be more "slippery" than others, which also helps the water pump as well as the cooling, especially in my 2LTE which can be temp. sensitive to cracking heads. (provided rest of system in good order) if over heated .

John

A present just arrived, 5l Toyota red concentrate - £26.04 delivered, cheaper than before! Just looked back through this thread and it seems I have been sourcing it from same supplier as grantw, so x2 with that.

John

Like wise I have ordered from the same seller at the same price. Now just to get 5L of distilled water and we are good to go.

Back