Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

D4D Very poorly

mike hatton

Afternoon Chaps,My D4D is a bit on the poorly side, took a run to Marple to collect the digger from a job, got there fine but the car wouldn't start to leave. Eventually got it to run like a bag of spanners but not well enough to move. Its smoking a little white too. After it took RAC 9 hours to recover me I've tried running it around to get a feel. Now it'll start with a bit of coaxing, run crap for a few minutes then clear up... ish, it'll still splutter after pushing it a bit.I've had the codes read as the light came on briefly and it came up on the turbo pressure... I'm thinking this may be a red herring and has come up as a result of the abnormally low revs whilst the car is running so rough.It seems very much like an air leak on the fuel line, either that or the head gasket. I've checked the full fuel line and can't find any leaks. I'd be grateful if anyone can share a similar experience or offer suggestion.At least the Isuzu keeps on going... it's taken all the 90's duties whilst it's poorly.

Had white smoke on quite a few occasions with duff fuel pumps mate.

I am by no means an expert but in all the research I have been doing for my issue I'm sure I came across similarities with a cracked head post. Something to do with water being pulled in to cylinders under vacuum when switching off engine, then on start up again the water boils off producing white smoke and running like pants until it clears. When engine up to temperatures the expansion seals crack (or something). Like I said I am absolutely no expert and tend to think I've read something when I haven't but thought I'd share. Hope it's nothing serious.

thanks guys, fuel pumps a possibility but I'm still confused by it running really well for periods.

It's getting weirder too, I've eliminated an air leak on the fuel line by feeding the pimp directly from a funnel but the strangest thing is that any electrical load kills the engine... I only noticed whilst putting up the window, tried it too with the heater fans, killed the engine even at rev's. Brilliant, easy fix. Trip to Costco and some new batteries fitted, all my transits throw wobblies as the batteries start to fail... No luck, just as bad as before. It's electrical so I'm thinking changing all the sensors surrounding the turbo and induction. Might get a more in depth fault code done 1st.

The D4-D motor is not known for cracking heads - that's a 1KZ-TE feature :icon-rolleyes:.

However . .

The D4-D is a twin-Cam Common-Rail motor, with electronically-operated injectors.

The white smoke and crap running could indicate that the ECU is not firing the Injectors properly or the Injectors are faulty.

The faults could all be Electrical/Electronic on that motor.

I think a diagnostic test should throw up some fault codes and I would do that before throwing money at 'possibilities' (a bit like playing 'Battleships' :lol:).

Bob.

Bloomin poo electrickery! Will get a more in depth fault coding next week. Here's hoping its only a dodgy sensor throwing things out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A quick Google shows a common fault with the turbo pressure sensor needing a clean on the d4d avensis... anyone know of its location on the 3 litre?

I am guessing that its on the inlet manifold... does yours have an intercooler? I can go and have a look on my 2kd to see if you like?

As this one hasnt got an intercooler, there is a pressure sensor on the aluminium pipe that runs from the turbo to the inlet maifold. So suggest s that with an intercooler it will be screwed into that. Hope that helps!

Bag of Poo, changed all the pressure sensors for ones of an identical car and no change. Tried to take it for another fault code and it died when brakes were applied! Can't cope with the brake lights... anyone got a match and pint of petrol?

Hmmmmm . . .Things dying when electrical load is applied can often mean a bad earth connection somewhere.

I would go around everything checking that earth connections are clean and tight.

Earths are white with a black tracer on my 1998 '95', but yours may be different.

Simple things first :icon-wink:.

Bob.

Give that man a big pat on the back!:clap:

We actually found and fixed the earth to the block which was holding on by 3 strands at noon yesterday and now it's running great.

Weird thing is that it was still cranking well?

Glad it's sorted. Easy when you know what to look for! :thumbup:

:dance: :dance: :dance:.

As tradition demands . . you now have to publicly perform "The Engineers' Victory Dance".

The triumph of man over machine :lol:.

Bob.

Back