Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

bad vehicle shakes at 70km to 80kmh

Geoff.M

Hey everyone. I have a 2000 model 79 series. Has an old 2 inch lift. Slight sag. Shakes very badly at 70 to 80kmh. Have replaced the wheels. Rims. New steering damp. All new bushes including radius arms bushes. New adjustable panarm rod. I carry about 4 to 500kg all the time. I am out of options as no mechanic or Tyre shop seems to know whats going on or even want to help. TTyres are 305 70 r16 on 8 inch rims. Any advice would be great.
Geoff

AFAIK (which may not be much!) 70s are prone to death wobble, but it's usually cured by new suspension bushes, which you appear to have changed.

You don't mention wheel balancing. You have heavy boots there, so I'd recommend another round of balancing, rears too. You can get bead balancing, a handful of plastic beads inside the tyres, I don't use them but plenty do with good effect.

My 80 runs on 305s on 10" wide steels, they're prone to shake when they're loaded with mud after off roading. Sensitive things at that size.:think:

Often its badly worn panhard rod bushes that cause it.

I had it recently on mine and it turned out to be a badly worn tie rod end, so it might be worth checking yours for excessive movement.

How long have you had the vehicle? Is the death wobble a recent thing?

Just thinking if you've only just bought the vehicle then maybe its been in an accident in the past and maybe has a bent axle casing/chassis etc. :think:

Mine used to shake at higher speeds, but after having both drive shafts rebuilt its now good as Gold, in fact i can now happily use it at motor way speeds. very pleased. Have you checked the rear drive shaft?

Had a full wheel alignment and balance done 2 days ago. It made it worse. Had the vehical for 12 months and has always done it. But its getting worse every week. I suspected an accident as the front left quarter panel is diff to the right. Have not checked the drive shafts. That may be my next Avenue. I have bought a new set of shocks to put in this weekend as the car bounces around alot at any speed. And looking at the oldmanemu rear springs for
loads above 400kg. Who would I take it to to get the drive shafts checked. Just my mechanic?

Sorry the actual word we should use hear is prop shaft, sorry i was at work when i rote drive shaft.
Checking the Drive shaft is easy. on your back get under the car, no need to jack it up, get hold of the drive shaft and work the moving parts back and forth and check for excessive play. out of interest lets say your at the speed that its shaking, dose it go away at all if your keeping it at a steady speed? or dose it go away if you knock it into neutral? or dose it do it all the time at any speed and your rolling down the road?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If its always done it and has got worse and has evidence of a previous accident then something could well be bent. :thumbdown:

Martin Aussies call them tail shafts. :icon-ugeek:

And your quite correct that could be causing it if any of the uni joints are badly worn. There meant to be balanced as well and some times the balance weights can fall off.

But putting the clutch in/putting it in neutral should stop it if its prop shaft related. :think:

If its always done it and has got worse and has evidence of a previous accident then something could well be bent. :thumbdown:

Martin Aussies call them tail shafts. :icon-ugeek:

And your quite correct that could be causing it if any of the uni joints are badly worn. There meant to be balanced as well and some times the balance weights can fall off.

But putting the clutch in/putting it in neutral should stop it if its prop shaft related. :think:

Good to learn that, nice one Ben. Lets see. Now i come to think about it, now i can drive mine faster because the drive shaft allows it mine shakes lol, i'm hoping thats only because the wheels needs balancing, in the 3 years or so i have had mine i have never had them balanced. Its done alot of hard work in that time. but before that happens i need to track down a new front diff.

Yeah sometimes its smooth as. Then as I turn a corner or accelerate it gets worse. I will jump under and check the tail shaft asap.

No my phones cam is broken. After I played with the drive shaft today I got no death shakes at all on the way home from work. Wierd

It turns about a 1 8th turn back and forth. Is this excessive

There should be no "free play" at all in the Universal Joint (UJ) but you will get free movement at the differential.

Your check for play should be up and down, and side to side, as well as rotational, but when checking for rotational play you'll need to put a bar through the joint to stop the differential flange from turning.

The UJs need to be well and regularly greased, so that grease comes out of all 4 ends of the "cross".

Ok I checked it for movement up and down and free play. Everything is tight. No play at all. Rolled it forward a bit and had free play. Im thinking the tail shaft is bent

If you remove the tail shaft (8 x 14mm headed bolts) you should be able to see instantly if its bent by looking down it or rolling it on a flat surface. You will also be able to feel much easier if the UJ's are badly worn with the shaft off the car as you can grip the tail shaft in one hand and UJ in the other and try to twist them in opposite directions. :icon-ugeek:

Ok finally found out what the problem was. Put on a set of standard tyres. Shakes gone. So will keep the big tyres when I go off road and run around in the standards. Thanks for everyones help. Much appreciated.

Hi Geoff,

Make sure the kingpin bearings have no play, they can be adjusted jusing shims.
Also if the car has been used offroad or hasn't had good service is advisable to check the kingpin bearings . I'v seen the lower one's completely rusted solid due to a lack of maintanance. How bigger the wheels the more force is applied to the bearings. People often don't see the importance of the kingpin bearing.

Excuse me if it is writen a little strange, its 02.00 hour as i type this :sleeping-sleep:

Back