Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Disabling Auto CDL in Low

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
Now then, you all know I'm a bit slow and I know that this has been explained a couple of times.

BUT

I don't understand the explanations :oops:

What do I know?

CDL in high is switchable, I have the push button switch on the dash.

CDL in low is switched automatically, when selecting low.

How do I change the set up so that I can manually select CDL when in low?

Now someone, and that's likely to be Chris, said "that's easy, just disconnect the plug on the transfer box".

OK, I'm under the truck (a rare thing unless I've just had a new SS exhaust fitted) and I'm on my back looking at the Transfer box with iPhone in hand, and see a plug dangling, unused (yellow circle). I presume that's OK, probably spare for an automatic (mine's a manual BTW).

photo 1a.jpg

Another view of the unplugged plug... (red circle this time) :icon-rolleyes:
photo 2a.jpg

Yet another view of the unplugged plug...
photo 3a.jpg

Then there's this one (circled in blue), plugged to something "switchy" looking...
photo 4a.jpg

The yellow circle in this picture is another plug, but it's plugged to another "pluggy" thing, wires to wires....

What is the simple thing I have to do to stop the CDL switching when low is selected? I think it's disconnect the blue circle plug in the last photo (above).

Maybe it's something else...

Can anyone advise, please....?

Last edited:
OK, from memory, if you imagine looking forward at the back of the Xfer box (inline with the rear prop), the switch is in approx the 1 O'clock position. It's the switch that tells the ECU that low box has been selected.

Thank you Towpack, I spotted your reply too late today to climb underneath, but first thing Saturday morning, I'll be there! :thumbup:

Nooooo. Forget the pin 7 mod. Look into my eyes, not around my eyes, look into my eyes. FORGET the pin 7 mod. Besides it's a manual. Pin 7 is for autos.

TP is spot on. Look at the rear drive flange from the back of the truck and it's up at about one O'clock. Not sure what that would be on a digital watch though.

Hmmm that's interesting Chris :think:, my manual would engage the CDL when I selected low (dash light etc) when trying to reverse my trailer up a steep slope, with the lock engaged and applying a lot of steering it was inevitable that the tyres would squeal like hell as the transmission wound up, I pulled the same wire as shown on the Slee link and no more CDL unless I pushed the button on the dash, it was a couple of years back now and cannot recall doing anything else other than the CDL button and the wire pull, have I missed something here mate?

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dave, just trying to keep things from disappearing down rabbit holes. The pin 7 mod is unnecessary and fiddly. Just pull the plug on the T box and all is well. On an auto the mod has another effect. It's been posted before. On an auto when you go into low range the gear change intervals also change and they are hideous. When you pull the plug, you get control over the CDL AND the gear change intervals return to normal spacing. Hmm, lovely. If you do the pin 7 mod, it seems that the awful change intervals actually come back.

I was just trying to steer people away from doing it that way. On a manual, you control the gear ...oh you all know that. Fine.

Got it Chris, as I said I did it years ago. I was aware of the automatic transmission shift changes which obviously did not affect me. I took it from your 'look into my eyes' :shock: sentence that the way I had done the mod was either, not correct or would not work. I did not realise you were trying to educate people to do the mod a different way.

regards

Dave

Yeah, just trying to nip a very old conversation in the bud, Dave.

This is very odd, I replied to Chris' post no.5 from my iPad, but for some reason it's not appearing in the thread.

Anyway Chris, many thanks for your guidance and thanks to cmcmill01 as well for taking an interest and trying:thumbup:!

This is very odd, I replied to Chris' post no.5 from my iPad, but for some reason it's not appearing in the thread.
QUOTE]

Have had some recent issues as well with my Toughbook for a few weeks now, Crispin is on the case so no doubt it will soon get sorted, might be worth letting him know?

regards

Dave

That's what did with mine, fitted a cdl switch (well a hazard light switch) pulled that plug and it's a good un. Full control of cdl and nice gear changes.

Thank you Towpack, I spotted your reply too late today to climb underneath, but first thing Saturday morning, I'll be there! :thumbup:

OK guys, its Saturday, been on my back again, iPhone in hand, but I'm still not sure which plug to pull...:oops:

TP said "...looking forward at the back of the Xfer box (inline with the rear prop), the switch is in approx the 1 O'clock position..." easy peasy...:?

Doing just that, there's one (more at 12:00 but I'm 2 hours ahead of you in the UK remember :icon-rolleyes:) and I see this one (ringed in yellow) toward the back of the Xfer box (about 12 cm forward of the rear prop flange)...

1 oclock rear.jpg

Different photo of the same...

1 oclock rear2.jpg

Then there's this one, which really is more like 1:00, towards the front of the Xfer box, about 12 cm behind the front prop flange (ringed in red)...

1 oclock front.jpg

Same shot different photo...

1 oclock front2.jpg

So what do you suggest, the red or the yellow?

All these photos are taken from the rear aiming forward (the last two showing the rear flange of the front prop).

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
It's a few years since I did mine but, near the top of the pic you can see a red cover (finger off a industrial rubber glove) which I used to protect the connector now it's unplugged. So I'd say it's the plug ringed in red in your pics as the first one near the rear prop looks too easy to get to. Why not just unplug one then select low with the IGN on and see if the DL light comes on.
P4100069_zps43046c98.jpg

Last edited:
Crikey, how hard can this be. Just unplug each one in turn and see if it disables the locker in low range. Come on Clive promise me you'll try a little harder. There's a good chap. Put it in low, it will lock, get the right plug and you'll hear bzzzt as it unlocks

C

Thanks TP.:thumbup:

Bloorry ell, I only asked which one!

Ta, anyway:icon-biggrin:

All done and working just as I wanted it, thanks to all!

Chris, being a thicko when it comes to anything electrickery, I was afraid I might just be disabling the power supply to the locker, by pulling the wrong plug. All's well that ends.... well...:thumbup: Ta!

Back