Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HDT mods for more power?

pberrey

Country Flag
uk
Does anyone have any comments on intercooler upgrades for a 12v? Does the 100 series I/C fit?

Paul.

I keep saying this and people probably will sigh and shake their heads but why not look at a intercooler from Allisport (http://www.allisport.com/) and or speak with Julian from overland cruisers (http://www.overland-cruisers.co.uk/) he fits them, mine was fitted by Allisport cost of £700 about five years ago now and has had no issues, pictures in this thread, yes I know its a 24 valve but allisport also do for the 12 valve (http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/44015-Meet-Thirsty?highlight=meet+thirsty),
My comment about intercooler upgrade, it makes a world of difference to the vehicle, both torque and or economy depending on driving style, having more power means not having to change down as often, better motorway cruising and I am sure others will have some suggestions.
The 80 has no provision for a intercooler so any fitment will take some modifying to get it to fit and routing of pipework, you could fit the intercooler from a 100 somewhere but just about everything else will need to be modified to the manifold.

Thanks Julian

I had an Alisport intercooler on my 300tdi Trayback and a custom rad and intercooler on my RR Classic with a 2.8td Isuzu motor. They are good but you do pay for it.

The main thing that concerns me is the length of the pipes and the bends impacting the intake gas velocity. I presume you tweaked the fuel and boost quite a but once the cooler was fitted?

Rgds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes boost and fuel were tweaked and it was all done by Andrew and his guys, I like the quality of their work and you get what you pay for, I would say its quite a long run from the turbo to the front and back to the intake and Mr T did not make any provision for a intercooler so there is some impact on gas flow, just how much I could only guess at but the way I look at is the turbo is low pressure and the engine is low rpm compared to a high performance competition engine so any effect is marginal when compared to the gains you get from cooler slightly higher pressure air flow.
For me the difference was chalk and cheese, hills where I used to drop to 3rd gear I now fly up in 5th, motorway I used to drop to 4th for 50/65 mph over takes I now just tickle the accelerator and I can feel the acceleration.
I hear the Isuzu 2.8 td is a very nice engine, my last Isuzu was a 93 na 2.5 diesel KB series pickup with the ability to do over 1000 km on a tank of fuel, I liked that lol.

Edit, just found this on FB https://www.facebook.com/OverlandCr...0601330959801/888335704519690/?type=1&theater

Last edited:
Lol, it was that post that has started me looking at upgrades and I think my turbo will need a refurb soon anyway. I've not seen any prices for GTurbos but I expect they will be eye watering. I don't need 350hp, 'just' another 20-30% over stock will be really really good. I don't want to compromise EGT or water temperature values so I will start with a front mounted intercooler and see how far that gets me.

Paul.

If I may add my tuppence. I don't have an intercooler but always wanted one. Now, I have had a few 80s and driven even more. I was looking at ICs because I found the performance disappointing. Yes yes, it's a 3 tonne, 20 year old monster with the CD of a semi detached property. But 4.2 6 cyl? Come on.

Well, now I have a 24v and a 12v that go like a bomb. I can't believe how quick the green 12v is. I am not aware of any twiddling with the pump at all and it still does over 20mpg on a run with winch bumper etc etc. I wouldn't dream of sticking a £700 cooler on. Not on these. There is only so fast I can drive it and the torque is mind bending already.

Given that I now know just how well one of these things can go, I have to ask if there is something that needs doing to any 80 that people think needs a cooler. See what I mean? Maybe it's a question of pump tuning to get it to do what it should?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris, get a grip on yourself.

More power is MORE POWER!!!

:)

Your logic is akin to saying why fit mud tyres because 80s are unstoppable offroad already. Well because they just aren't.

And I don't like gardening so what else am I supposed to do?

The only fly I can see is making a mounting to convert the 2.5 or 3" round intercooler pipe to the square inlet manifold.

The whole point of an IC is so that you can increase boost/fuelling which = more power but also means increased EGT's on a diesel. The IC keeps the EGT's down to a safe manageable level by reducing the temp of the intake charge. No matter how well your 80 is running, a properly fitted IC with boost and fuelling adjusted to suit will improve it. Marinised versions of this engine with water cooled IC's (much more efficient) reliably kick out over 300bhp. Wether or not the improvement is worth the cost is down to individual opinion. JMO

The only fly I can see is making a mounting to convert the 2.5 or 3" round intercooler pipe to the square inlet manifold.

I believe Allisport will modify your air manifold to suit.

I Was looking at a ic for mine but a 3" side exit exhaust came up on eblag for £40 so i grabed it. What a difference it has made. It really is like a different vehicle.picks up faster and soo much better on fuel.
I have not done a long run yet but i was putting £35-40 a week in now i can do monday till thursday the next week on the same amount.

If i add something else i will do a charge cooler which will fit over the top on the engine where the intake manifold is. Also they say 100 turbo makes alot better.

Anybody know about turning the fuel pump a degree to the engine?

Stu

My Rangey with the Isuzu 2.8TD and full width Alisport intercooler.

7dc5f4202e0599ea4d05d3b73a81b4df.jpg

1c0e9dd7f879be15e291085472145ca7.jpg

113f9e15821a55157d2f8da8e4ce9b5c.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't find an aftermarket slam panel Julian ;-)

I had receipts for £25k, most of which had been spent by the previous owner but it had everything under the skin. The only thing that was missing was a rear winch.

It is number one on my list of things i should never have sold.

paul.

Last edited:
Stu, I've got a 3" straight through exhaust on it. It wasn't until i was filling up the rear diff oil the other week that i noticed it didn't have any silencers in it. That would be why it sounds like a lorry then...

Having thought about this over the weekend the main challenge will be getting a good gas flow from the turbo to the IC and back up to the intake. I'm not going to spend millions on a kit because they are way over priced.

So this will call for some ingenuity and an angle grinder. :)

Plan A:
1. Cut the intake 'pipe' (the thing with turbo cast in it) to get a larger gap between the turbo outlet and the manifold. Obviously this will connect a 2.5" round pipe to the rectangular intake.

2. Make up the intercooler pipe work using 2.5" alloy pipe and silicon hose where necessary.

3. Mount a 600x300 or smaller 2.5" intercooler in front of the radiator.

4. Fit an egt and boost gauge.

5. Wind up the boost and fuel.

6. Enjoy.

I'm thinking a budget of £350 for everything should be sufficient.

Paul

Paul
Why not look at a charge cooler that replaces the intake manifold over the engine. you have about 4.5" inches of clearance once the bonnet is shut. you will get better cooling of the charge then a small intercooler and you air flow will not be altered.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0TbnrHnf72szVrZiKkjBPnhaGP2vPsXJ7eXGMPXj0SNsxE64g.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRe4VfSZfGObv0Ptz9qWoHfvhuLimqmqlhEULyt96ju0rIIUEA.jpg
sorry for the crap photos but off google

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0TbnrHnf72szVrZiKkjBPnhaGP2vPsXJ7eXGMPXj0SNsxE64g.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0TbnrHnf72szVrZiKkjBPnhaGP2vPsXJ7eXGMPXj0SNsxE64g.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 185
Looking at the 1HDT turbo i imagine the actuator washer mod would work just as well on the 80 as it does the 90 . Just unbolt the actuator , pop a couple of 2mm thick washers between where the actuator bolts to the turbo and you have effectively tightened the actuator spring and upped the boost . A tuppence mod but i'm sure you will see a noticeable difference .

On my 95 12V auto I had an Allard intercooler installed in about 99. With slight modification to the pump as well it went very well without black smoking, seeming to have more torque without any fuel penalty. In 2012 I did the actuator washer mod and that indeed seemed to sharpen the engine even more but seemed to upset the point at which the autobox kicked down for some reason at first but seemed to settle down after a few days.
Maybe the washer mod ( which only really adds tension to a spring) might be more effective on a manual, it would be interesting to have a second opinion on the subject from someone who has done the same.
Unless I did it wrong, I found it to be an awkward and time consuming job with plenty to take off to get to the actuator.

Andy

Increasing boost and fueling is all good, but it will certainly create more heat within the engine, and although these engines can take a lot of abuse, theres only so much before wear and tear gets to them and something goes boom! Fit a Intercooler or cooler, sort out a good down pipe/Exhaust and accommodate those mods by increasing fuelling and turbo boost. EGT Guage is highly recommended when tuning so you can see what's going on, as well as boost pressure.

Also your tyres/Wheels will affect speed a lot. Narrower tyres vs Wider. Alloys vs steel ect

Stumog, I'm not sure any type of top mounted cooler would be more efficient than one in front of the rad but to be fair I've never seen a charge cooler used by anyone. They would be less susceptible to mud clogging.

Who makes them?

Last edited:
Back