Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone lookin for a project 60

What a beauty if only I had somewhere for her

1st one is a ridiculous price, that was on ebay and failed to sell.

second one looks a beaut but no price.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
could be a good base for a minter rebuild that, even still got the original splitties on it

At 33 years old and a UK truck my gut feeling is its nowhere as good as it looks. I might be wrong but I doubt it.

Andy

hi all

I would say good luck, I don't know that much about 60 but i was told the early ones are none turbo and only 4 speed. I would also say if anyone wants it go and see it, like any old LandCruiser it might be a bargain if it has no rust, it will be a bill if it does.

Giles

all HJ60s are non turbos. HJ61s are turbo but were never sold in this country and are extremely rare.

The early ones are 4 speed, but some say that's a stronger box and better for hard off road use. 5th gear is a weakness on later models as it was just grafted on to the 4 speed box and is poorly lubricated.

It will have some rust, they all do, but it depends how bad it is as to how much of a problem that is. As many have shown, certainly not likely to be insurmountable as long as the chassis hasn't completely rotted out.

The most tell tail areas are the front wings and lower tailgate, both look good on this, the front wings still have the plastic covers on the front edges (I think a UK only fit) which are usually left off if repairs have been made. If the wings and tailgate haven't rotted out, the rest probably isn't too bad either. doors are also prone to rot, first along the bottom edge, then everywhere! Those split rims rust real bad but even those don't look bad if thats the original paint on them.

There is some bubbling along the edge of the rear wing I can see, but Toyota NOS repair sections are available for this, but it doesn't look too bad, although with rust you have to work on the iceberg principal of course.

Other areas to check are around the body mounts and suspension attachment points. replacing body mounts means body off, which is a 2 day job for an experienced team, and mounts cost over £400 for a full set.

I would say, that is one of the best base vehicles you are likely to find of an HJ60, but as above it needs a careful look over.

Last edited:
I have sold a fair few 5 speed boxes for people who don't want 4 speed but they are mega expensive at £1500, just something to think about

wow, that is expensive!
Need to get mine rebuilt at some stage as it's getting noisy now in 5th, but the last time I got a quite for a rebuild it was 3k, although that was on a box that had lunched itself!

to be honest i hate selling them as i buy them untested and sell them the same way but i don't think i could live with myself if i sold one and it was junk without giving a refund.

bits for cruisers are cheap but some parts are getting vey expensive, PAS for a 40 is now about £1600

Back