Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any Comments?

frank rabbets

Guru
france 2014 blow lamp 031.JPG

Probably not what you're expecting Frank, but yes...

Why did someone paint the Ferguson 20 on the front in MF super red....sacrilege..

Also I want that trailer...

If you're worried about weight, I'd say he's fine, as a 20 weighs about 1300kg, and the other a similar weight, so I reckon he's within the 3.5ton...

Hi Bob

Picture was taken in Roscoff on our way home so he's importing them to UK presumably.

A very common practice Frank, mostly from Belgium and NL to supply the vintage collectors market. Machines there are better maintained and almost rust free so are in demand

Probably not what you're expecting Frank, but yes...

Why did someone paint the Ferguson 20 on the front in MF super red....sacrilege..

Also I want that trailer...

If you're worried about weight, I'd say he's fine, as a 20 weighs about 1300kg, and the other a similar weight, so I reckon he's within the 3.5ton...
I wish there was a "Like" button on this forum. Looks like you know your tractors.

Shame, the picture came up for all of 10 seconds, then disappeared to just a photo name.

I don't know much about tractors, but was the MF 20 grey? I used to drive my uncle's on is dairy farm when I was about 10. It was very small and so easy to drive. IIRC, 3 speed box and the starter was off the gear lever, where you'd expect 4th to be. Had loads of fun hay making in those days, cutting, turning and bailing. H&S would have had a fit :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers uHu, yeah I restore a few in whatever spare time comes my way. Nerd moment but I can even tell that Ferguson has had a 3 cylinder Perkins engine conversion instead of the 4 cylinder Standard unit.

Shayne, spot on, grey it should be. Originally painted with Royal Navy battleship grey left over from the war. They do have a 4 speed box though, with the starter where 5th would be on a car. No keys required!

I did a 'motorcycle tour' of Turkey in 2010 - did a complete anti-clockwise circuit. The number of beautifully-maintained British tractors in daily use is amazing. There are extensive peach and citrus orchards and MFs are everywhere.

It was interesting to pass a tractor dealer and see some modern stuff plus a line of beautiful old Fergies on the forecourt.

That's the place to go if you want one :thumbup:.

I have a 1976 Zetor 6718 that I bought many years ago. It came with so many problems that I stripped it down and started restoring it. Then I got back into bikes and Landcruisers and its still in the garage unfinished. I'm not a million miles away from having it running again, I just need to concentrate on it.

I would find it very useful in the overgrown 2-acre garden. It has a Gray's front loader that would stop me from having to frequently borrow the farm's Merlo Teleloader :lol:.

Bob.

that looks like a Ford Dexta

This is my finest... Bought from my grandfather, there's a photo somewhere of a younger me in a transport box behind it in the 80's... It wasn't as clean then!

IMAG0169_zps649b7841.jpg

Unlike Frank's photo, I tend to bring them one at a time..

8F55AFDC-474C-4414-A480-222748618DE8-13504-00000A60B5A01EC7_zps12249d7a.jpg

This is my finest... Bought from my grandfather, there's a photo somewhere of a younger me in a transport box behind it in the 80's... It wasn't as clean then!

IMAG0169_zps649b7841.jpg

Unlike Frank's photo, I tend to bring them one at a time..

8F55AFDC-474C-4414-A480-222748618DE8-13504-00000A60B5A01EC7_zps12249d7a.jpg
My neighbour, two doors down has a tractor, very similar to the blue one on his lawn.
His plan is to restore and do vintage rallies..
It's also blue, I'm sure its a Ford.

I keep sending posts from here to a mate back in the UK (who has a Nissan :eusa-snooty:) and lusts after a tractor; ideally a MF 135... and trying to convince him to get a Land Cruiser...

Clive, spot on, grey it should be. Originally painted with Royal Navy battleship grey left over from the war. They do have a 4 speed box though, with the starter where 5th would be on a car. No keys required!

I hope you don't mind me editing your quote Bob, anyway I was close, it was 50 odd years ago after all! I can remember we used to set up a belt driven lift for getting the hay bales up to the top layers in the barn. It ran off a PTO belt drum on the side of the gearbox (it was one of the tractors, can't be sure it was the little grey). I used to take great delight riding on it from bottom to top. :icon-surprised:

Memory's not too bad Clive! I reckon it was a Fordson of some type you used for the belt, they had the pulley on the side like that. I could jabber on for ages, but I think I've bored people sufficiently..

Memory's not too bad Clive! I reckon it was a Fordson of some type you used for the belt, they had the pulley on the side like that. I could jabber on for ages, but I think I've bored people sufficiently..

Noooo! Not me at any rate. I really like to see old stuff getting restored. When I lived in W.Wales (Hermon y Glogue to be precise) the old boy across the road had a yard behind my cottage and he had all sorts of stuff in various stages of disrepair and restoration. I remember towing one of his tractors around the field to try to get it going, it had tireless steel rims on the back with bladed treads. He announced that it hadn't been run for 60 years, sat still in the open all that time! After a few circuits, damn me it fired up! There was a big belch of black smoke and away she went, amazing.

He had a beautifully restored wooden living van, all shiny varnish with a coal burner stove inside, and a steam tractor. He had a few cars as well, the one I remember was a Rover 12 (I think)...

Restorations @ Hermon - 14.02.05 (4).JPG

Suicide doors IIRC
Restorations @ Hermon - 14.02.05 (1).JPG

And a Commer probably from the early 70's

Restorations @ Hermon - 14.02.05 (5).JPG

And of course here's one of his many tractors...

Restorations @ Hermon - 14.02.05 (6).JPG

Maybe I can out-bore anyone with this kind of stuff! :icon-rolleyes: :lol:

Plenty of old tractors , diggers and general farming equipment in my family back home , truth be known i've seen so many i never really had much interest . Just recently i was down my Uncles field , as we call it , though it's more like a football pitch sized Steptoe's yard and he was telling me something about it was the first diesel version ? Massey i think it was ? hard to tell with chickens , hens , geese , goats and god knows how many dogs making a right royal racket .

Clive, that picture of me was taken at Penrallt/Pennalt Farm Llangranog I drove my uncles car down the long cobbled road and vividly remember the feedback through the steering wheel. I even remember the REG:- RGD 213. This was a ford prefect and the wipers were driven off vacuum from the inlet manifold. They therefore only worked when you deaccelerated..........an extra safety feature in the rain :icon-biggrin:.

Clive I had a Commer TS3 diesel tip truck like that.It was a good truck .When I learn how to do it I'll post photos of my gear of which we have got heaps.photos bring back good memories.Pat

Clive, that picture of me was taken at Penrallt/Pennalt Farm Llangranog I drove my uncles car down the long cobbled road and vividly remember the feedback through the steering wheel. I even remember the REG:- RGD 213. This was a ford prefect and the wipers were driven off vacuum from the inlet manifold. They therefore only worked when you deaccelerated..........an extra safety feature in the rain :icon-biggrin:.

Hey, I know (or knew) Penrallt Farm well. I used to stay at a flat right on the beach at Llangrannog, my view from the bedroom window was like this...

Llangrannog01.PNG

And the window itself...

Llangrannog02.PNG

(photos courtesy of street view)

That was back in '92 or thereabouts. Plenty of beer drunk in the Pentre Arms and skinny dipping in the sea after midnight firework parties on the beach in November :icon-rolleyes: :lol:.

Aaaah, memories :lol:

And I used to drive my mate's black 1958 101E prefect, 3 speed box, long gear lever and yes, vacuum powered wipers that crawled across the screen till you backed off, then they went like hell! Wasn't that a sidevalve engine Frank? I can't remember now.:think:

Last edited:
Back