Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake wear rates

Steve H

Country Flag
uk
Just started getting my Collie ready for the M O T and was checking brakes , etc as you do. I noticed that the rear pads are worn out but the front ones are hardly worn at all. This cant be right can it? I thought the front should wear out quicker than the back ones. This will be my second set of rears fitted since the front pads. What do you think, rear load valve stuck open or needs adjusting? Brakes seem to be working great and truck doesn't pull to one side under braking at all. :think: :icon-question:

Number of things to question here...

Are you using the same Brand pad on all 4 corners? If you have a rubbish pad that wears out faster on the rear compared to say genuine toyota pads at the front the rears will wear faster than the front. If all pads are the same, then theres a possibility your Rear load bias valve isn't working as it should and sending more breaking force to the rear. You could simply take out the ABS fuse, build up some speed and hit the breaks and see what wheels lock up first.... Lastly if you carry a lot of weight at the back or tow it could simply be that you use more breaking force at the rear than the front.

Find somewhere to park up, drive forward brake hard. Note feeling. Put it in reverse, back up equally and brake again. Note feeling. If it brakes harder in reverse then the rear brakes are working harder than the fronts. I have done this whilst messing with the LSV and the difference is dramatic. Of course the LSV is supposed to be set for forward braking and reversing has the opposite effect, but it's an easy indication of front / rear balance and takes a couple of seconds.

check for sticking rear caliper pistons although it would be unlucky to say the least for both sides to go at once

I had my brakes checked over before we our Summer holiday to the Highlands - the rear pads were seized in the calipers on both sides. They were sorted and new (OEM) pads all round but as the rears don't do too much, not a huge overall improvement to the braking TBH.

Need to take good look at the LSBV next time .........and will probably fit new disks all round too. :icon-rolleyes:

Have checked the rear calipers and they are not sticking at all( unlike my hand brake on drivers side). All the pads are the same brand so looking like something is not right. Will try your suggestion Chris and will let you know how I get on. I do tow a caravan but once a month and local distances for a weekend rally but otherwise just normal daily use. Will also try removing ABS fuse as well.
Thanks Guys

PS I take it the LSV can seize in the loaded position causing this to happen?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris tried your test and the brakes pick the front of the truck up to almost the stops in reverse. When going forward it does dip the front but not as quick as reversing and braking so I think I need to look at the LSV. Also tried taking ABS fuse out and the rears lock up a lot easier than the fronts, really had to stand on the brakes in reverse to get the front wheels to lock up. So I will be checking the front calipers again for a sticking piston as well , just in case. When I check the LSV with some one pumping the brakes , should the pin move if I hold the lever away from the body?

Thanks again guys :thumbup:

OOPS! Totally forgot to update this. Sorry guys. Anyway I replaced all the pads with the same brand after finding a partially seized offside rear caliper(bottom slider pin rusty). I then changed the brake fluid and reset the handbrake(Thank to Chris:thumbup:). Been using the truck and checking the pads regularly and still finding the backs where wearing quicker than the fronts. Finally bought and fitted a new LSV and re-bled the braking system beginning of March. Brakes now seem to be working much better and the front of the truck dips a lot earlier now when braking. Thanks for all the help and suggestions and sorry for the delay in updating.

Back