Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help needed with servicing auto transmission oil Toyota Landcruiser GXL 97

JohnFromCairns

Country Flag
australia
Hi there.

Can someone help me with advice, servicing auto transmission oil in my Toyota Landcruiser GXL 97.
I need to know how much oil it takes and how to check it because it seems way overfull when I check it cold or hot...

Many thanks

John from Cairns IMG_2288 copy.jpg

For a normal service you just measure what comes out and replace it with the same amount. You physically can't drain all of it. It holds a good deal and the most you'll likely get out is about 5l if you let it drain. If it's too full now then put a bit less back in?

Have the engine hot after a run, put you foot on the brake and cycle through PRND21 slowly a few times, then into park and with the engine running, wipe the dipstick and check the level. You don't check it cold really.

Each time you swap the oil, only part of it comes out. You aren't swapping it, you are refreshing it.

Welcome to the club. Please don't forget to post an intro in the appropriate section. It's a club requirement. Nice looking 80.

Hie guys. I have a 97vx. 12liters oil is required for total refreshing of the oil. The torque converter holds up to 7 liters thereabouts

Hi Jon, drain the oil when the engine is warm and pay loads of attention when refilling as the dipstick will tell you the exact amount of oil in the sump with a long delay (especially in a cold day). If you check the level during the filling you'll probably introduce too much oil (excessive quantity of oil drives to a very dangerous overpressure in the sump). So take your time, especially if you change the oil and the filter too, then you'd better refill only 3/4 of the prescribed quantity and wait a few hours (yes, hours) before concluding the operation. It's not necessary to run the engine in the meanwhile, just wait and the gravity will do the job.

I'm getting old: the question was related to the transmission. I'll be back home in a few hours, I'll check the repair manual...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back