Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel flow meter

aussie9

So. After just finishing a 10,000km trip around Central Australia, I was thinking about the fuel gauges in my 80 series petrol wagon. Main holds 95 litres and the sub holds about 50litres
The main guage shows empty and the light comes on but I have done another 100 to 150 km before it starts to splutter.
I was thinking about fitting a fuel flow meter inline the sMe as my boat. You key on what litres you put in and it registers the amount of fuel you use or have left in the tank
They are very accurate
Any pros and cons I haven't thought of??

Cheers guys
Aussie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea but how does it cope with the fact that not all the fuel that goes through the pump is burned in the engine and gets returned to the tank? It's used to lube the pump and any excess goes via the spill pipes to be drawn again. I have a pusher pump on mine and even without the engine running, I can hear it tick away and if it's quiet you can actually hear the fuel going back into the tank. I don't imagine that this is a constant amount. You'd need to mesure fuel drawn and subtract fuel returned, wouldn't you?

Never thought of thAt. Have to investigate a bit more.

What would do would be to be able to adjust the "low fuel light" to come on with a set amount of fuel in the tank. (Without pulling the fuel sender out)

You can do this with a programmable gauge. I am having one made. You start with the tank empty, put in a measured amount and log it, repeat until you get FSD on the sender then you call that setting FULL. Are you really having that much of an issue with your tank, or do you just like playing. Which is fine by us.

I just drained mine, added fuel slowly until the red light went off. That way I knew reserve was at 2 gallons, for real. I have a twin tank set up, but in truth the second tank is just an extension of reserve for the main tank. I don't intend to rely on that fuel. It's for difficulties. If I reach reserve on the back up tank, I really have been careless.

The 80 according to the poster is a petrol variant so all burn and no return i would have thought

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
By Jove yes you're right. I forget that there are people outside the UK rich enough to run 80s on petrol. Never looked at that bit.

Without going and opening the bonnet im sure its got a fuel return on the petol, I don't think much retuns to the tank though :lol:

Scrap that....... just been for a look.
One feed line, two breather pipes and 6 taps

Last edited:
By Jove yes you're right. I forget that there are people outside the UK rich enough to run 80s on petrol. Never looked at that bit.

Rich enough?? Lol. Maybe before the trip
How about the dearest we paid for unleaded fuel was $2.69/litre. So. Multiply that by 4.54 to get $/gallon. Bloody scarey whatever way you look at it

My reason for wanting a bit more accuracy is some places we go can be over 800km between fuel supplies so it's nice to know if we have to carry extra in jerry cans
My missus gets paranoid about being stranded somewhere and being accosted by mutant hillbillies

Back