Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bad bloody night

stumog

Country Flag
england
I had a crap day in work so took the wife baby and dog for a walk along the river and a beer in the pub. Felt much better.

So cooking dinner and pour some water into the sink and it stays there. Mmmmm take the sink pipe work out and clean everything still crap. Must be the pipe outside so i end up snapping the pipe off. Its now 7:30 rush to wixes for pipe and fittings they dont have bloody glue. Pipe doesnt fit in cruser with the dog guard in. Only round the corner i say to my self. Have the pipe sticking out the back a little bit.

Go out of carpark touch brakes tail gate slams shut hitting the flipping pipe into the screen gutted.

Now what have people paid for new screens? Should i do anything with it out? I have no rust that i can see. Should i replace the rubber?

Fixed the bloody sink in the end though.

Really pissey stu

Sod's law Stu its always the little risks that have the bigger consequences . If it were me i'd replace the old rubber as well it might have been fine before but its not likely to be as flexible as it once was and you don't want to be fitting the screen twice . I would also be tempted to spray some lacquer on while its out to defend against future rust .

I was looking for a new screen a few weeks ago, and still am ffs.

Tried a few companys, all needing over £300. Karl said £30 but needs to be collected.

bloody eck! I have days like that, they seem to come all to often these days!

bloody eck! I have days like that, they seem to come all to often these days!

Steve I have had the best and worst 2 months ever i think. really starting to look for a padded cell to lock myself in.
stu

Insurance will replace screen and rubber for you as they did mine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have trade insurance warren so they dont cover

I have a windscreen that i was going to take back as a spare sitting in the garden if it helps.

I guess you still need to get it but if it helps just shout

I have trade insurance warren so they dont cover

Defiantly replace the rubber. When I replaced mine 3 years ago it was around £150 fitted without the rubber. It leaked and I then replaced the rubber with a little help from a few members in a field at Lincomb.

I got the rubber from one of our friendly genuine part importers here on the forum. I can't remember what I paid but it was a lot less than Toyota wanted to charge.

Also I got the screen from one of the small local windscreen companies. I think it was these guys: http://www.advancedwindscreensbristol.co.uk/ I seem to remeber they were on the only people that offered a fair price to fit the windscreen, but when I called up a year or so later to replace the rubber they wanted about the same again.

I used to use them before rob i have spoken to one of the owners for a price. They are a great company.
I will speak to the other person about the seal
Thanks

Stu, is it front or rear screen? I thought initially from your tale (and how annoyed would I have been in your siyuations...) you meant it popped the rear.

I'll be needing a new screen soon if the crack gets any longer so I need to investigate new seals and Bilt Hammer...

Its the windscreen dave. Can belive some plastic pipe smashed it like that.

Windscreens are designed to shatter very easily from inside impact as its usually someones head that hits it .

I thought modern screens were supposed to be laminated offering a flexibility and shatterproof condition so continuing to drive is an option. The windscreen is supposed to be the only screen that is not toughened (and therefore shatters) which is why tint films offer greater security.

Either way is not good for you Stu, but I can wait for mine as there is merely a crack extending across a laminated screen. If it were the rear screen it might be an opportunity to get the the HRW element to work properly (which it hasn't been on either Land Cruiser).

Guess what happened to my Van yesterday? Wifey was Using a brush cutter next to it .....worlds teeniest stone got flicked up and.......the side window exploded! Doh, and double doh! At least it wasnt the customers AMG Merc! I did it a few years ago to a customers car after telling her I will be careful!
We have to wait until next Wednesday until they can get to us to repair it......unless I go Saturday and wait between 3 and 6pm, in the center of Perigeuex (not a townie). So sticky plastic one will do if my ears can stand the noise at 70kph!

You need to wonder if your missus isn't actually gunning for you Steve ... :)

Back