Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help needed please

Sag

Hi all.
I've got a juddering problem if I go over 60 it shakes the lc like wheels need balancing,I've had them checked and are all fine,if I go to 70 say then take my foot off the gas and just Coast it's fine.its the full motor what shakes not so much the steering wheel,really got to get it sorted but not sure where to start,motor has not long past an mot was done just before I got it,it's had new front pads and all new rear brakes including discs,I jacked up the front and no play what so ever.when it shakes you can feel the thudding through the motor.
will be so much appreciated for any help
many thanks in advance
Shaun.

Check the tyre pressures and though i'm sure you will get plenty more suggestions the oddest and hardest to diagnose cause of this i've ever heard was on this forum when somebody having exhausted all other possibilities weighed his wheels and found one to be a fair bit heavier than the rest . Have you got a new tyre on there ?

Check the tyre pressures and though i'm sure you will get plenty more suggestions the oddest and hardest to diagnose cause of this i've ever heard was on this forum when somebody having exhausted all other possibilities weighed his wheels and found one to be a fair bit heavier than the rest . Have you got a new tyre on there ?
Hi mate,thanks for your quick reply.checked tyre pressures all ok,got two cooper tyres on the front worn abit on the inside edges,so I know tracking abit out but even that wouldn't cause it to judder that much surely?
cheers for your reply buddy much appreciated for any ideas

Check the prop shaft UJs. To do this it is best to actually remove the shaft as it can be hard to tell when they are on the car. They should rotate smoothly in all directions and not be stiff or have any play.

Check the prop shaft UJs. To do this it is best to actually remove the shaft as it can be hard to tell when they are on the car. They should rotate smoothly in all directions and not be stiff or have any play.
Thanks for your reply buddy,il take it off tomorrow and check it as don't feel it's safe to drive at the min.
cheers again
Shaun

Make sure you check both ends of both shafts. Also check the slip yoke moves in and out freely, these can seize and some people put too much grease in so they don't compress fully. Before removing the prop shafts, mark the shaft so that if you pull the slip yoke apart accidentally you know the correct alignment when you reassemble.

Ian

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As I suggested 'elsewhere' - check the nearside engine and gearbox/transfer box mounting. I had one come apart on a Volvo Estate when towing a horse trailer and the motor was knocking like a mad thing. When at rest, of course, everything seemed normal.

You will need to remove the sump guard, then put a block of wood under the sump and try to jack the motor up (just a bit, don't go mad). If the mounting bonding has failed you should see daylight between the bolted plates (it shouldn't do that).

Its a long shot, but worth a try.

Bob.

As I suggested 'elsewhere' - check the nearside engine and gearbox/transfer box mounting. I had one come apart on a Volvo Estate when towing a horse trailer and the motor was knocking like a mad thing. When at rest, of course, everything seemed normal.

You will need to remove the sump guard, then put a block of wood under the sump and try to jack the motor up (just a bit, don't go mad). If the mounting bonding has failed you should see daylight between the bolted plates (it shouldn't do that).

Its a long shot, but worth a try.

Bob.
cheers bob will have a look at that mate

Are your wheel nuts tight , wheel bearings good ? is the steering rack loose . The simple answers are often the last ones we look for .

Just a note Sag, you say the wheel balancing is OK and the judder feels like the whole truck is shaking, did you balance the front wheels only?

I really think that it's important to balance all 4 corners. If a rear wheel is out of balance, it will throw the whole truck into a shake, they're heavy! It could be as simple as that.

If the rear balancing is ok, and the shake continues, or it only happened under drive, then as already posted, I would suspect a UJ. Make sure that grease is visibly pumped right through all 4 bearings on each UJS, it only takes 1 bearing to be dry to cause a problem. A power greaser at a garage workshop is best, some hand guns are not up to the pressure required on a dried out bearing.

Hi all thanks again for all the advice,
Ive had all 4 wheels balanced and they were from 40/50g out,so needed doing.
when I get home I'm having a good look round to see if I can see anything as I've got all day Sunday aswell,then if I find anything I can order it on Monday.
il keep you all posted
just like to say a massive thank you to you all for some great advice.
cheers
Shaun

Have you greased the prop lately, if so you may have pumped too much in and it can push the slip yolk out too much, this can also damage the UJs as it puts too much pressure on them.

Sounds like how mine started - id be checking prop uj's :)

Well had a quick look today and found the front prob had a bit of play in the middle part,went out got a grease gun and the front prop took a full tube of grease,it's solid now I carried on putting grease in till It came out of the seals,going out soon so il let you know if any different as only does it over 60.
Had a look at the engine mounts and they are all ok.
No play in the steering.
Going to have a look at all the other stuff tomorrow now.
Fingers crossed it's sorted.
Many thanks again for advice.
Shaun.

sounds like you have put too much grease in the prop buddy, take out the grease nipple and drive it for a day or two to let it pump out the excess grease or it will do damage.

sounds like you have put too much grease in the prop buddy, take out the grease nipple and drive it for a day or two to let it pump out the excess grease or it will do damage.
Right I thought you had to do it till it comes out a bit,il get that done tomorrow then first thing,cheers for that.and I thought I was doing it right with it taking play out of it.
cheers mate

On the universal joints you keep going until n it comes out but on the slipper joint there is a void in the tube to let the shaft shorten and lengthen and if you fill that with grease it won't be able to move and will damage the u/j further, just pop the nipple out and keep it in the ashtray for a day or two and stick it back in, after that two pumps of the gun every couple of thousand should be plenty.

On the universal joints you keep going until n it comes out but on the slipper joint there is a void in the tube to let the shaft shorten and lengthen and if you fill that with grease it won't be able to move and will damage the u/j further, just pop the nipple out and keep it in the ashtray for a day or two and stick it back in, after that two pumps of the gun every couple of thousand should be plenty.
cheers buddy will be on with that first job.

Back