Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series turbo whistle

Steveo

Country Flag
botswana
Hi
we have 2 x 1998 -100 series 4.2L diesel Cruisers with over 350k on each. One developed a turbo whistle and the agent recommended a new turbo. The turbo was replaced and lasted less than 10 000 km with a terrible whistle from day one.
The 2nd replacement has had a whistle and the agents stripped and re stripped everything several times over but could not solve the problem after replacing everything at a serious cost. I eventually had to accept the vehicle in that condition.

The whistle was louder in the morning and by late afternoon it was a lot quieter which simply did not make sense. I decided to service the vehicle myself and the first thing I picked up was the bearing on the air-con belt was packing up and would squeal the moment the revs picked up. I replaced this which substantially reduced the noise but not solving the problem. Due to the age of the vehicle I decided to add prolong (an oil additive) to the oil and within the first 500 km noticed a major reduction in the noise. The vehicle has now done 3000 km since the service and the turbo is completely quite - in fact quite normal.
I cannot honestly say that this was the solution but I am very pleased that the old faithful is running 100% again. I therefore suggest that anyone with similar problem try this before you go the route I went. These are by far the best vehicles I have owned.

Regards

Wastegate sticking would be my guess if i had the same problem i would definitely try changing the turbo actuator before looking at the turbo itself . Glad it worked out for you though :thumbup:

Was the turbo whistle very tonal (not the hissing type) and related to turbo rotational speed?

Whenever I've had a unusually prominent whistle it was because the intercooler or pipe was leaking air.

Rgds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back