Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from new FJ45 pick up owner

DIC

Country Flag
england
My name is Dave and my love for the 40 series started in 1981 when I drove one while working for tree surgery company in Surrey where I still live. The owner of the vehicle changed the engine from the 4ltr petrol to to a deisel and the truck was never the same. Trust me I wount make the same mistake. Now that I have had time to look at my 1976 Uk truck it looks like a body off and strip down with various replacment panels needed to include pick up body, outer wings, apron, side treads, roof. The tub, bonnet, inner wings looks ok and all the knobs and buttons are in good order as well as the chasis but this will need to be shot blasted and powder coated I think???? The truck is now brown but this looks like its 3rd colour with the original being dark green which I like. Would anybody suggest having the tub acid dipped as bits of it are rusty and covered in 3 layers of paint and underseal? As you may well deduce I am very new to this so any advice will be helpful. As I realise this is a long term project due to limited funds so any suggestions on the best lace for panels and parts I have posed pics in my introduction but cant post them here??

IMG_1345.JPG
IMG_1349.JPG
IMG_1356.JPG
Ah I think I found how to get the phots attached

IMG_1354.JPGIMG_1333.JPG
I hope that give you a feel for the truck

Hi Dave love it I have bin looking at it on eBay I love the old 40and 45 I have a fj40 and fj45 with hj60 runing gearIn them and the pick up body look good in the pics good look with it and keep the pics coming from Tony.

Hi DIC,
welcome to the club.
To acid dip the truck requires a total strip down. I would suggest a media blast rather than an acid dip, the media is inert. But I would suggest that to remove the wings, valance, running boards, side panels - the front part of the truck and have them blasted. the necessity to strip the truck is avoided and those are the worst/ most susceptible parts to rot. The total strip is a major job requiring more space and time than people realise. Take it in stages. Take the back and get it blasted but have somewhere dry to keep them after. The remainder of the cab is quite small with all these bits removed and the sills can be repaired in situ.
Looking at the pictures, i think you are going to need new front wings, and valence (if you can see the rust on this, then the inner has had it), unless you are good at welding, but my suggestion is take it in stages... because that is controllable.
Later you can remove the cab top, doors, screen and just have the lower cab mounted.

Up to you, of course, but so much unbolts.... unless you have the space etc.

Nice truck. building them back up is very satisfying.

Cheers

Hi Dave

glad you found a truck, looks like you have found exactly what you were looking for. My experience with any new toy is get it up and running and use it for a while, don't tear into it straight away. Most parts bolt straight on and off so you can replace wings and front bib without to much hassle.

Giles

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Giles
Thanks for the advice and your help before I bought this one.
I will need at least the pick up body to get it through an MOT unless I can find a pick up floor to weld into the existing which is very tatty. I like the idea of having some fun and finding out what other issues it has with it before I get into a restoration. Any suggestion on a body?

Hi Dave

I have seen a few Toyota pickups fitted with Land-rover Hicap pickup trays as they are pretty easy to replace and fit the same wheelbase with the same sort of look, easy to find on ebay

Front bib is £250, wings £120 each, side step £60 each, I have them on order for you and they will take a few weeks to come in

ps we have axel and frames in stock if your rebuild gets really bad

Giles

Giles
Thanks very much I will keep looking for hi cap landrover body. May need a few other bits to get it through the MOT like front head light for sure but I will keep you posted. By the look of the interior I think it's only done the 60,000 miles that's on the clock so maybe the big stuff will be ok.
Wheres the best place for clutch and brake parts?

HI Dave have a look on eBay item number 261553647445 rear body 110 hope it helps .Tony

Hi I hope it is a good one the one on the back of the cruiser look good to me I had a 110 back on my fj45 but it is a
Trailer because a landRover will be pull by a land Cruiser good look with love the 40 it a dig :thumbup: from Tony.

Looks good to me.
It will be perfect while I use the truck for logging and the like.
DIC

Hi all
I have been busy honest.
Took it for a nice long drive to see how it works (sweet a a nut) and now have the body off ready for repairs a spray.
Engine and drive train this week
Ill keep you posted.
DSC_0055.JPGDSC_0053.JPG

Help please
Has anybody got and images of an original engine so I can get it close when painted?

You seemed to have got a long way with it mate, what colour are you going for ?

Rustic Green 621.JPG

Above is an image of the internet

IMG_1897.JPG

The original colour it was supplied in Rustic Green code 621 see delivery book above
Anybody know the colour and code of the white roof and bib?

Well at last ive got some paint on the chassis and the cab after much hard work.

Pictures attachedIMG_2506.JPGIMG_2901.JPGIMG_2802.JPGIMG_2613.JPGIMG_2872.JPGIMG_2941.JPGIMG_2940.JPGIMG_2950.JPGIMG_2952.JPG

JUst a few mIMG_2354.JPGIMG_2352.JPGIMG_2350.JPGIMG_2515.JPGIMG_2759.JPGIMG_2753.JPGore the right way up this timeIMG_2513.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2910.JPG
    IMG_2910.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 251
Back