Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2011 LC4 USB Socket

firemac

Country Flag
great_britain
Little problem which I hope that someone can help with: my mobile doesn't charge when it is plugged into the USB port on the centre console. I know this is live because the jack socket in the same panel powers my ipod OK. I've also got a USB adaptor in the 12-volt cigar lighter-style socket next to the USB and it's live as the tell-tale light illuminates OK but the phone won't charge in that either.

It's very strange since the phone charged OK from the USB port in my RAV.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Is it putting out the voltage your phone requires??

Is it putting out the voltage your phone requires??

I don't know, Gary, but I'd have thought that if it powers the iPod and the phone itself charged OK in my previous RAV 4.3 then it should be OK in the LC.

Best dig out my old Sparktune (although I'm not sure how to connect it to a USB port!).

Worth checking. What phone is it ? Swmbo's iphone 5s seems to be very sensitive to the cable used as well - some cheaper non-Apple cables won't charge her phone. Grrr

Worth checking. What phone is it ? Swmbo's iphone 5s seems to be very sensitive to the cable used as well - some cheaper non-Apple cables won't charge her phone. Grrr

Apple. :icon-rolleyes:

It's a Nokia Lumia 800 using Nokia branded cables; tried both the short one (about 6") and the normal long one but it won't charge in the car with either. It charges fine from my laptop using the same cables.

The problem seems quite odd to me.

Ahh, it looks like I may have posted this thread in the wrong section; think it should be in the 150 Series section. Apologies: perhaps a friendly Mod will move it, if necessary.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Google suggests that phone needs 3.95v from the charger - I don't think the onboard USB power gives more than 2.5V which is enough for your iPod ...

Google suggests that phone needs 3.95v from the charger - I don't think the onboard USB power gives more than 2.5V which is enough for your iPod ...[/QUOTE

Thanks for that info, Gary. Presumably there's no solution in that case.

The RAV must produce greater output in that case. Odd that.

Probably worth taking a multimeter to it in any case

I am sure mine charged OK when I plugged it into the socket. It's a Samsung.

I have seen devices which don't recognise the USB power because the middle two pins if the USB plug are floating.

I have a satnav which refused to charge from the USB mod I did and cheaper chargers but was OK with others. Turned out it was because the middle pins were not connected. While this would not be the case with the 150s usb plug it might be along those lines.

Back