Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LED headlamp conversion.

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Now then, aside from the hassle i am having regarding the truck and the shoddy repairs, I have decided to change my HID lamps to a plug and play LED, so, old HID kit came out, new H4 LED lamps plugged in and work. However, the spot lamps wont come on with the high beam!
If I change one of the LED lamps for a halogen, they work...........when high beam is selected!
Worked OK with the HID as well, so obviously I need some sort of load in line with one of the H4 plugs/sockets......how and more importantly, why?

confused.com..........:wtf: :confusion-confused:

I'm no electrician Steve, but I would guess it's the spots' relay that is not recognizing the lower draw on the LEDs.

It may be as simple as replacing the relay that the spots run off, but I guess someone with better knowledge will come along soon.

Steve please leave it alone ! all it takes is the garage to say someone else has been working on this and your in a proper mess !

Assuming your car doesn't use the Canbus system, either something is faulty or they're wired incorrectly. If they're wired in conventionally the spotlamps should still light even with no bulbs in the headlamps. I fitted LED H4's a while back and apart from the lower current draw they behave exactly like the old filament bulbs.

Steve please leave it alone ! all it takes is the garage to say someone else has been working on this and your in a proper mess !

too late, have changed all sorts from the headlamps to getting the side lights on the bumper to work. apart from the stretched cables cos the battery is wrong way round, I have sorted the rest.
just got to sort this odd one now!

I get no signal from high beam without one halogen in either one of the headlamps. Low beam no problem - just no high beam. I took the supply from one of the H4 connectors to the relay to switch when the main beam comes on - it should work, but it doesnt!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Right, another attempt has brought them to life when there supposed to be on! Erm, my mistake I think! :oops:
thanks for your help guys, it was driving me mad - when your mad you dont see the bleeding obvious!

Right, another attempt has brought them to life when there supposed to be on! Erm, my mistake I think! :oops:
thanks for your help guys, it was driving me mad - when your mad you dont see the bleeding obvious!

:laughing-rolling:

So what are the LED's like compared with the HID's?

Pics :whistle:

absolutely no idea! Cant start the thing as both batteries dead after having a charge Saturday night and half of Sunday. The old battery was warm to the touch last night (several hours after the charging) when I went to try them! Me thinks its deader than dead - would that drain the new battery as well?

absolutely no idea! Cant start the thing as both batteries dead after having a charge Saturday night and half of Sunday. The old battery was warm to the touch last night (several hours after the charging) when I went to try them! Me thinks its deader than dead - would that drain the new battery as well?

As one battery drains it'll drain from the other one as well, I think, as they're in a parallel circuit. I had this problem and thought it was an electrical drain but turned out one battery was just dead and kept draining the other so would struggle to start. Try starting her on just the good battery and see how things go

Fitted a 2nd new battery this afternoon - starts OK, been out and about with several starts and fingers crossed I think its OK - time will tell - ie tomorrow morning!
Cheers guys

Back