Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80's Series GXL Problem - NEED HELP

byrnieman

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and seeking some help for an issue I am experiencing with my 92 TD GXL. My father in law bought it new and had it for almost 20 years before I bought it off him a few years ago.
He always serviced it every 5000 kms and I have tried to do the same - probably averaged an oil change every 7000 kms.
I have the done the air and fuel filter recently, new radiator and fuel pump and it has been running well.
However yesterday I was 230 kms into a 231 kms trip (broke down just out of town) and everything had been running fine - temp was fine, oil pressure good etc and then I got a strange flapping sound from under the bonnet. It sounded like a belt had split and was flapping on the underside of the bonnet. When I took it out of gear and rolled down the next hill the sound went away but as soon as I put it back into gear the sound returned. I pulled over and got towed into town. Upon starting it up it sounds like it is stuttering & running really rough causing the car to shake so I turned it off. Started it again a little later and it was idling fine.
This morning I started it and it idled fine but when I drive it almost immediately it started making the horrible tapping / flapping noise and running really really rough.
I have no idea what is going on - I have checked all of the belts and there is no problem there, checked the fuel filter etc (thought it might have been dirty diesel as it was running rough) but all is good there.
I understand that this is difficult to know what it could be without seeing / hearing it etc and maybe I could record a video of it, but any help / suggestions would be greatly greatly appreciated because I am 230+ kms away from home, have no idea what is wrong with my truck & am facing having to tow it back to the city.

Thank you in advance!

If you have had a fuel pump on it my first guess would be make sure all the pipes are tight on the IP and the injectors. Make sure all your fuel pipes are tight and no air is getting in.
If non of the above take the rear seats out and there is an inspection panel to take the fuel sender and pick up out the tank. Make sure the pick up filter is clean.

Take the fuel pipe off at the filter in the engine bay and blow down it a few times. You will hear it bubbling in the tank. This will move any crap off the filter in the short term. Its gotten me home a few times until you can do what karl said

Do either of these suggestions explain the horrible tapping / knocking sound coming from the engine?
I understand how air in the fuel lines or a clogged filter on the fuel sender would cause it to run rough but the truck is making a loud tapping / flapping/ knocking.
Sometimes when I start it it will run fine and then when I put load on it & begin to drive it seems to start the loud tapping noise & running rough again.
Thanks

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Big end bearings?

Can make noise but its hard without hearing it. When the big end bearings go they usually start to knock but the truck won't run fine again once tapping/missing has started has started.

I had this noise, turned out to be the camshaft drive belt breaking down, get a qualified mechanic to check this as I didn't and it cost more than if I'd've had it checked. Mine finally slipped over a tooth or two and packed up. If the belt is good it's an item you can tick off as no problem, I never found out what had exactly happened as it was repaired in France but the tensioner was shown to me and that was trashed also

I am going to go and record a video to make it easier for people to hear what I'm talking about

That's sounds like a tappet noise but check the fuel pipes first. If they are OK take the rocker cover off and check the tappet clearances. It could be a broken tappet shim.

Had another check on the video and the engine appears to be firing on all cylinders so I suspect not fuel related after all. I should wait for other posts to confirm or dismiss!!

Personally after hearing that I'd say get the bearings done ASAP. I wouldn't run it again until they are done.

I hope it isn't the bearings but I've heard it far too many times. Piston hitting a valve I'd say. For the cost of doing the big end bearings its a must.

I'm with Karl on the likelyhood its a piston kissing a valve. If you don't know if the BEB's have ever been changed thats the first place I'd look. I've only heard of a damaged shim as a result of BEB failure.

Back