Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2h Turbo upgrade or 12ht

David86

Country Flag
australia
Hello all, I have just registered and this is my first thread.

I bought a 1984 60 series Sahara a few months ago for a good deal. The engine needed work but everything else was in great condition. Due to time restraints, I ended up replacing the motor rather than rebuilding the original one with a rebuilt exchange from a supplier in Victoria and I'm happy to say that the vehicle is now run in at 1200kms and running great with just a few minor exceptions.

I have driven these vehicles before so I knew what sort of power to expect, but mine seems to be a bit more sluggish than I'd hoped. I'm yet to fully adjust the fuel timing which will help, but I was wondering about an aftermarket turbo. I know that as the engine is new it should maintain reliability if I install an aftermarket turbo, but any experiences that other club members have had regarding this would be much appreciated. What is the max psi allowable with a stock 2h? Is it 5psi?
I've also found a 12ht for sale but as I have just bought and installed a rebuilt 2h I'd rather not have to buy another motor although I know the 12ht has legendary status.

Also, any advice anyone has regarding parts suppliers would be great as there are a few mainly cosmetic items that I require. Thanks in advance for your help.

David.

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. I've had several variants of after market turbo'd 60's as well as a 61. In my opinion before you start looking at installing a turbo make sure all aspects of performance on the standard engine are maximised, ie, pump timing and calibration, injector performance etc, even valve clearances.
If you go down the after market turbo route I would get advice from someone more local with experience of doing this. The 2H engine with turbo, with or without an intercooler will easily handle the extra power with perhaps the only thing to add being an oil cooler. The difference to the driving experience is staggering with top gear overtakes a joy and hill ascents a pleasure without a gear drop.
although I know people who have transplanted a 12HT into a 60 I dont think the hassle is worth it compared with a relatively simple bolt on power.
Its just my opinion although I have experience of turbo'd 60's and 61's.
Just coincidentally are after market turbo kits still available new?

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply and the advice. I have never driven a turbo 2h so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm currently in Aus and there are quite a few aftermarket systems for the 2h. They range in price from about $2400 - $4000 (AUD) for the manifold, Turbo and lines etc from what I've seen. I've also spoken to a mate whos a mechanic since and he suggested the same as you. Work out all of the adjustments/gremlins etc and leave it for a few thousand kms to let the motor loosen up a bit. But I'll definately go a turbo rather than the 12ht and maybe get a larger exhaust system too.

Thanks again for the help mate, David.

IMG_1046.JPG
This is it after the has been done and a quick cut and polish. Not quite sure though how to make the picture any bigger.

Wow it looks great. We just don't get them in this country in that condition. I have a couple of Turbo Kits S/H if you want to PM me. Even with shipping it may work out viable.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks mate. The beauty of it is that it's spent all of it's life in Central Australia meaning there is no rust. Well, apart from one or two minor spots on the panel work but otherwise all good. I'll do some more searching around and I might get in contact later about your S/H kits. Thanks again.

David.

Drop a 12ht into it, you will always be wondering otherwise?

IMG_1368 (2).JPG

oh dear, I just made a mess!! where the hell did that engine come from?

Thanks Tony. That's a beautiful motor watrob. I've even had to save the image to show to my mate. I'd love to have one of those in the rig. I came across one here for $4500 AUD but I'm yet to look at it. Did you anodise the components yourself? It's given me inspiration.

I was listening to a 12HT running last Sunday, they certainly sound different to a turbo'd 2H. That said, in my experience a well set up 2H turbo is just as powerful. If you can get a 12HT installed for the price of a new turbo kit, well, the choice is yours.

Andy

Thanks Tony. That's a beautiful motor watrob. I've even had to save the image to show to my mate. I'd love to have one of those in the rig. I came across one here for $4500 AUD but I'm yet to look at it. Did you anodise the components yourself? It's given me inspiration.

I started thinking a little while ago, given the price of 12ht engines, maybe it would be better to fit the 4.2 from an 80

i had a mate (heavy deisel mechanic) who ran a komatsu turbo on his 2h.i would give my left arm for it

There's a reason why the 12HT is different on a whole lot of points, compared to the 2H.

A 2H with turbo will last, just not as long as a 12HT!

There's a reason why the 12HT is different on a whole lot of points, compared to the 2H.

A 2H with turbo will last, just not as long as a 12HT!

Rule of thumb is that you don't turbo a old 2H diesel, they should be rebuilt first.

The 12HT has oil squirting for the pistons, different engine compression, different head, direct fuel injection, larger IP and is strengthened between piston 1 and 2, and turbo is water cooled as well as oil fed. Mated to a 3" exhaust with the IP turned up a touch they are good for 150hp, up from the standard 135hp.

IMG_1759.JPG

Rule of thumb is that you don't turbo a old 2H diesel, they should be rebuilt first.

The 12HT has oil squirting for the pistons, different engine compression, different head, direct fuel injection, larger IP and is strengthened between piston 1 and 2, and turbo is water cooled as well as oil fed. Mated to a 3" exhaust with the IP turned up a touch they are good for 150hp, up from the standard 135hp.

View attachment 15623

I want to see more pictures of that truck, that looks sweet!!

Back