Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

converting 2001 Prado (2.8 Diesel KZ-TE) to common-rail

Wise1

Country Flag
dominican_republic
Dear All, the D4D motor seems light years ahead (except being made in Malaysia/Indonesia!!) of my motor--it is whisper-quiet, smooth, free of rattles and vibes, and supposedly incredibly economical. So as far as I can tell there is no difference in compression, the block is the same, I assume the valves operate the same way. So it seems to me that making a KZ-TE work like a D4D is just a matter of the fuel pump and the injectors, and their computer.

So my question is: can this be customized to mimic the performance of a D4D? Thank you for any brave souls willing to comment on their experiences doing something like this!

Hi, and welcome to the site.

My first thought is "The D-4D is a 16-valve twin-cam motor with common-rail injection".

It may be 3 litres but I'd be very surprised if the D-4D head bolted directly to the 1KZ-TE block.

If it did, and you were able to change the fuel pump, you would also have to change the engine ECU and probably add some sensors (MAFF ??) that the 1KZ-TE motor doesn't have.

We need someone who has worked on both motors to comment.

Interesting project, but its probably easier to transplant a complete D-4D motor, wiring & ECU from a crashed vehicle.

It will be interesting to see how this idea progresses; good luck with it.

Bob.

The engines are actually more different than you think. From what I've read the blocks are the same, with some minor tweaks with additional sensors and allocations of the dip sticks and low oil sensors, things like that...

Major difference is the head, it's a twin cam compared to the single cam 1KZ. I imagine this improves efficiency and air flow through the head as well as better timing. As well as this, the fuel is measured at the individual injectors and not at the fuel pump which is why you get better power and overall efficiency. You'll therefore need the high pressure pump as well as Injectors. But to top it off you'll also need the main ECU to control it all. Additional to this, these engines (I think) use a variable vane turbo.

So overall the engines are actually miles apart, with a few common structural features. Like Bob has said, it'll probably be easier doing a transplant with a complete wiring loom than just converting the top end. With the gains you'll get maybe you should think of modifications to do to your 1KZ instead? I like how the 1KZ sounds in comparison to the 1KD which all seem to knock about and loud.

Hi I have done a bit of research into this. If the head did fit, the injectors are in different positions on the cylinder heads so the pistons are different. And the injectors run at different pressures. It would be very difficult to make it work and last reliably.

If you manage to get a complete D4D truck the best bet would be to do a conversion using a complete loom change along with the engine etc.

I have managed to extract the engine wiring out of a 2004 d4d hilux and got it running in my 70 series. Have just sent off the ecu and immobiliser ecu to have some work done to them regarding immobiliser lock out. The immobiliser's are very sensitive to disruption to the wiring.

With this kind of work. ... you would never make a living off it... but a great challenge. .. hope this helps..

Back